Practice frustrations...

Discussion in 'Tab & Music Forum' started by pgjstrat, Feb 12, 2020.

1. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 Deeply SHY. Strat-Talk Supporter

@pgjstrat

Hi, buddy

Thank you for your service/being Marine Corp veteran.

1 thing that might help with guitar exercises-Is small steps at a time ? Kind of approach the music piece like training then?

pgjstrat and Nadnitram like this.
  2. ultrahedgehog

ultrahedgehog Strat-Talker

I think it gets a little easier when you can play what you “hear” in your head rather than methodically think out what chord you are playing and how to transition to the next. But that just comes with time and practice.

BallisticSquid and pgjstrat like this.
  3. pgjstrat

pgjstrat Strat-Talker

Yeah, I still have to think about cords. For some reason the C Cord still kicks my butt. My ear sucks.

4. Bettyfender

Bettyfender Strat-Talk Member

Hey pgjstrat,

Your not alone I've been playing for about 2 year I still forget songs I dont regularly play but I pick them up again fairly quickly. I think it happens to everyone. My guitar instructor got me using 2 programs on the computer. First being Riffstation no longer available but there are some comparable programs available in use this for rythem play cords. For lead practice I use guitar pro. They help me. You can adjust speed to start slow and work you speed up. It took a lot of frustration out of practice for me and after enough practice time my memory takes over.

5. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two Gold Member

I'm still looking for mine. If I find yours in my search I'll let ya know.

THAT... I can certainly attest to. I played in my youth starting in the 3rd grade. I could play using sheet music. When my mother passed when I was 12 the guitar was the only thing that gave me comfort but I eventually, in my teens found other things and my playing suffered. I still on occasion continued playing up until marriage and life happened. 30 years later I find myself back at square one. Memory? I make notes and record. I sometimes have troubles getting a nice progression back in my head that I played the day before.

Just keep at it. This place here has helped a lot in my understanding of why something sounds good and what can go with it. It's a journey. It never ends. But there are a LOT of enjoyable spots along the way.

6. MrNeutron

MrNeutron Strat-Talker

Hee hee..... This reminded me of a group of guys that showed up at the Idaho Old Timers Motocross race about 10 yrs. ago. They had jerseys made that said "Team Alzheimers: Every Lap Is A New Track!"

I wish I could find the web page deal I read about not really forgetting things with age, but how age itself makes it difficult to learn some new skills and etc. (for some folks; not all).

I infrequently will forget which chord change occurs next in a song. Makes for an awkward pause I can't pass off as poor rhythm......

@dogletnoir said "I have enough other stuff that i need to remember that i can't write down, LOL."

A friend of mine used to be fond of saying "I try not to remember anything; I just try to remember where I wrote it down....."

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    Bowmap, Bob the builder and RoyC like this.
  7. RoyC

RoyC Strat-O-Master

I have to have the tabs in front of me to keep jogging my memory. :confused:

I can never understand how people go on stage, do a full concert and remember the words to every song and at the same time play a guitar.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    BallisticSquid and pgjstrat like this.
  8. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

Repetition of your Repertoire is How I manage to remember but its Normal to forget but if you play your repertoire enough times then its easier to remember, and also tabs are Great help as well

9. ocean

ocean Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

If I seem to fumble a couple of times on something I know without even thinking about it, usually I will play something else and go back to one I forgot another day, don't want to start playing wrong and think that's how it's played and then remember the wrong way instead. If that makes any sense, and who ever said 50 is old , it's not old, however today I feel old

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

10. Malurkey

Malurkey Senior Stratmaster

I usually forget how to play guitar mid-song. My left and right hand will be on different strings, none of which will have anything to do with the music being played. This occurs at a random point in the song. It may well be a section that I executed flawlessly in a previous attempt, or, if it is repeated in the song, that I executed flawlessly earlier, and will execute flawlessly again when it comes round again. I have never been able to complete an entire song without some major error.

We’re not talking about a flubbed note here and there. We’re talking about several bars not resembling any music known to man... :(

11. chompin

chompin Strat-Talk Member

When your plate is full, and then you try to add to it, something always falls off the other side. For me there's always x amount I can carry along as to upkeep, and...well...there's a limit.

RoyC likes this.
  12. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Strat-Talker

Don't think about it. When you've done it a few thousand times, like the pro's have ... you don't need to remember anything. Takes a while to climb a mountain but not so much to the guy that started before you got to the foot of it.

13. pgjstrat

pgjstrat Strat-Talker

I think that was part of it. Once I got past the first couple of months of just learning basic cords and getting reasonable decent at it I started looking for songs that I could play. At one point I had about 7-8 songs I could fake my way through, but none were very clean. And if I took a couple of days off it was like everything was gone. Now that I have focused on 3 songs, and practice them over and over and over, it has become easier to remember. I can pick up the guitar at any moment and play these 3 songs reasonably well.

14. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Most Honored Senior Member

As others have said, it's a matter of repetition. There are songs that I've played so many times that I have to stop and think what chords I'm playing or even what key I'm in because it's all committed to muscle memory. I've wondered about lyrics since I don't sing...but I'm sure it's similar.

In a band situation, there are subtle cues you subconsciously pick up on that guide you. You'll realize this when the rest of the band makes a mistake and you just blindly follow along because you picked up on a cue that said we are going to the verse again. A band like that is tight and seems like they can read eachother's minds.

All of this gets so ingrained that something as simple as changing the setlist order can throw you off. When a bandmate is replaced, some of these subtle cues will change and it can throw you off. It's an interesting thing to experience.

RoyC and pgjstrat like this.
  15. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Most Honored Senior Member

At just about every gig I did, I would flake out on at least one song. It could be a forgotten chord, a forgotten transition to the chorus, or a forgotten cue for a solo. It would always be a different song, sometimes a song I've played so often I could play it in my sleep. Occasionally it would be a cringy thing, but most times it was covered up by quickly getting back on track or taking a different path through the song. Forcing yourself to "play through" helps you develop the skill of smoothing out mistakes.

It bothered me, but when I thought about how many songs from different artists and styles I was expected to play I stopped being hard myself about it.

Bowmap and RoyC like this.