Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

practice tube amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by sevignyjoe, Dec 3, 2017.

1. TomH8

TomH8 Strat-O-Master

May 1, 2014
    USA
    For $350 I'd get an ac4 and a fender mustang used. Late night headphones with the mustang and the ac4 when loudness doesn't really matter. Or an ac4 and a Yamaha thr10

2. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    It depends what your budget is, & whether British amps like Cornell are available where you are. The Cornell Romany Plus isn't just streets ahead of the Blues Junior, it's several blocks ahead. In fact, it's halfway to the next city....

Hmmm, looks like it's been renamed the Romany 12.

http://www.cornellamps.com/products/cornell-romany-12/

BradL likes this.

3. TheDuck

TheDuck Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    It all depends on your budget, and how loud of quiet you will be playing.

Low wattage tube amps, for the most part, dont sound great, and the mid wattage (15-30w) models are really too loud for "reasonable" in home use.

I would consider a Fender Mustang (or other modeler). For low volume in home use, a tube amp is overkill in every aspect. Cost, volume, upkeep, etc.

That said, if you're set on a small tube amp, the Bugera V5 is hard to beat. If you can use the added volume, the V22 is a great amp with better tone and more features.

QMTstrat likes this.

4. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    I'm checking out a Bugera T5 head right now. It's definitely got a tube vibe............... albeit with perhaps limitations IMO.

First off, I'm not crazy about the relatively modest clean headroom. The amp has a nice clean tone when at modest bedroom volume but I can't get much more out of it without it going gritty. I'm investigating modding it to add some negative feedback which should clean up the amp tones. Problem is I haven't found a schematic/layout for the latest PC board version. All of the mod threads are for the original version. I supposed I can trace it out.............. done that before but it's a real PITA. Not sure I want to invest a ton of time in this.

I also haven't found a good sweet spot where I can roll off the vol and go in-out of a drive tone. Perhaps I'm just being overly critical. I seem to get "better" (to me) tones out of my Katana but I'd like to 'show up' that upstart Katana with a real tube amp. :whistling: hahaha

In semi-conclusion: If you're looking for a lowish clean to moderately loud gritty tube amp the T5/V5 might fill your need. It definitely has a cool tube lead tone.

TheDuck likes this.

5. Scottz

Scottz Strat-Talk Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Littleton, Colorado
    What kind of sound are you looking for? I bought a Panama Conqueror 5w head and cab and it sounds great, if you're looking for a classic 5f1 kind of sound. Unfortunately, I'm starting to want more hi gain sounds. The great thing about the Panama setup is that both the head and the cab have attenuators in them, so you can control the volume better.

After the holidays I may be looking in to trading my setup for something that can give me the sound I'm looking for.

6. TheDuck

TheDuck Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Further reinforcing my belief that for in home, low volume use, a modeler is usually a better choice than a tube amp.

heltershelton and johnnymg like this.

7. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    im a tube guy all the way, but i agree with this statement.
    as a matter of fact, at LOW volumes, my hd500x into the spider III sounds better than my tube amps.

TheDuck likes this.

8. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    How much if that do you suppose was due to the small speaker though? I think a 12” extension cab would make it nice and full.

9. Gas4Strats

Gas4Strats Strat-Talk Member

10. altar

altar Strat-Talker

Oct 4, 2016
    USA
    VHT Special 6. It's cheap easy to mod and handwired with no PCB used

nuculer terrist likes this.

11. DerRobert

DerRobert Strat-Talk Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Leubsdorf
    If you want to spend under 350$ I'd recommend a modeling amp. With a Katana 100 you could gig later on. You'll never know where it takes you...

If you definitely want a tubeamp for that budget you could go with a Blackstar ht 1...

12. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    I know I've recommended it before but it's such a great amp. The Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18, can be had for less than $250 used. 1, 5 or 18 watts. Clean and lead channels with lead boost, foot switchable and with effects loop. There's even a built in RedBox DI.

QMTstrat and elliotj26 like this.

13. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Forgot the picture. IMG_20171029_200340.jpg

14. crashbelt

crashbelt Strat-Talker

Feb 27, 2012
    England
    I prefer vintage tweed amps. For practice I have a 4watt Gibson GA5 from 1956 - lovely real tweed valve tones through original Jensen and just a volume control. Picked up on eBay for £300 - presume cheaper in the US. Only downsides are that it takes more looking after and I wouldn't risk it flat out throug the oval Jensen.

15. sevignyjoe

sevignyjoe Strat-Talk Member

Jun 7, 2017
    Lyme, CT
    Yea guys I have a fender mustang1v2 it’s good but I am going for a more bluesy crunchier tone . I just can’t seem to dial it in to what I want . Fender fuse I never really figured out how make it good.

16. elliotj26

elliotj26 Strat-Talk Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 21, 2017
    indiana
    I'd go hughes and kettner 18 or Blackstar HT5R used. I think the bugera G5 is a copy of the blackstar HT5R.

Cerb likes this.

17. RB522

RB522 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 23, 2017
    Wisconsin
    For the most part, I agree with you. The smaller (10") speaker no doubt played a part, but I believe the smaller cabinet played a equal if not bigger part. While the extension cabinet would help with the sound, I feel you would then be getting away from the original idea of a small, easy to move setup. Kind of a catch-22 there.

18. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    i have a vox ac4c112 that i like alot....it sounded pretty good stock, but i put a celestion greenback in it, changed the tubes, and cut out a few bright caps. its even better now.

RB522 and johnnymg like this.

19. Gladius

Gladius Strat-Talk Member

May 17, 2014
    China
    I use a DSL40C for a practice amp. It's a workhorse and sounds great at any volume.

Believer7713 likes this.

20. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    Mine is a DSL 401. Ice taken care of the overheating issues and haven't had any problems with it at all. Like yours, its a beat at any volume.