Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

practice tube amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by sevignyjoe, Dec 3, 2017.

1. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Bluesy tones can be had with the Mustang amps. Check out Shanes 68 preset vid here. This is my baseline Mustang preset. I adjust the gain and EQ to taste.

That said, I do think a small tube amp will be easier to dial in for a blues/crunch tone. I'm going to do a slight go-back on my previous "dis" of my Bugera T5 amp.
    Note: I'm using the T5 head version into a Blackstar 2x12 cabinet. The V5 is the combo version.

So I finally got the replacement JJ EL84 power tube yesterday and now I actually like this little amp. I have a 12AT7 in the preamp section and the amp is fairly quiet in terms of hiss/hum now. I've warmed up to this little amp and now feel like the clean tones are very good at low-moderate bedroom volume. I'm diming the master and setting the Gain knob to taste. At moderate-high volume the amp starts to get a bit crunchy when doing chords and has a really nice bluesy lead tone. I'm learning how to better control the amp with the guitar volume knob and feel like there is good touch sensitivity with this amp.

I think the V5 combo should be on the short list to check out if you're looking for a cleanish bedroom/home volume amp. It has a rep for being slightly dark but I think much of that might be the factory tubes. If you do go this route definitely get a pair of JJ tubes for it.

cheers
    JohnG

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017

2. LBXPDX

LBXPDX Strat-Talker

Mar 18, 2015
    Portland
    I really dig my VHT Special 6. I have a few different 6V6 and 12AX7 tubes to adjust the tones.