Practice your vibrato

Discussion in 'Tab & Music Forum' started by Jackie Treehorn, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Strat-Talker

Vibrato is about the most personal expressive thing individual to each player. Something that requires some constant attention and refinement. It is one thing I really think about when playing. Which notes, when, and how are all choices which define us as individual guitarists.

I really like the vibrato of B.B. King, Robin Trower, and Otis Rush to name but a few.

2. CandyAppleHead

CandyAppleHead Strat-O-Master

I really need to keep working on mine. I can do the BB King or Paul Kossoff type of vibrato no problem but that big, wide SRV or Robert Cray vibrato is something I need to get better at.

3. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Stratmaster

Jackie fully agree with the first part, it is very personal and, IMO, is one of those things that bring feeling to certain types of music.

However, not sure that it requires constant attention. I never have to think about vibrato, with me, it just happens. There is a part of my brain that sub-consciously somehow tells my fingers what to do wherever I am in a particular song.

Perhaps for those who are trying to learn the skill, it may require attention, but once you have it, it's there. Just like riding a bike, you never forget it.

4. thaus

thaus Most Honored Senior Member

It is indeed an art! First thing that one notices about new players is that they like to do too much vibrato, and it normally comes from the fingers more than the wrist. I do a bit of both because I used to play the cello and the vibrato on that instrument comes from the finger/forearm. I still use some of that in my guitar playing but about 10 years ago I made a conscious effort to develop my wrist vibrato (especially on the first and third fingers). I really don't believe there is a right and wrong way just too much too often. If you watch the greats (Clapton is considered by many to have the smoothest vibrato- Slowhand), they know when to use a lot and when to tone it down. It took me about a year of constant practicing to get it right and even now I still go back to the finger vibrato if I'm not conscious of it.

5. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Strat-Talker

I agree, after awhile it is there at your disposal. Just always think I'm overusing it and try to layoff shaking the strings a bit. I still get nervous or anxious sometimes and it helps to remind myself "mosquito vibrato" not allowed.

6. Offshore Angler

Offshore Angler Senior Stratmaster

Vibrato is nice done properly, terrible done bad. I see a lot of new players and they hve never got the concept of vibrato being in time. Vibrato needs to be quaters, eighths, 16's, etc, just like all other parts of your playing.

7. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

I'm guilty of the finger vibrato myself, I really need to work on it being more from the wrist. Anyone have any good suggestions for breaking this bad habit?

8. orcslayer

orcslayer Senior Stratmaster

I would like to learn Vibrato technique. I love blues, but have never learned proper Vibrato. Instead I just tend to bend the strings up & down in an "imitation" Vibrato.

Can anyone give me a few pointers on learning real Vibrato?

Thanks!

9. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Stratmaster

Yes, do whatever is easiest for you. :D

Just because some may label something as being good or bad, it doesn't mean it's wrong. I have seen some friends almost go backwards in their abilities because they had listened to someone who said they were doing things the 'wrong' way. It doesn't matter how you do things, just do them the way that suits you best.

10. 6bender

6bender Strat-Talk Member

I've been trying to "repair" my vibrato lately. I never payed much attention to it until I made some videos of my playing. Pretty bad :oops:. Now it's something I watch for and listen to with all of the players I respect, trying to refine it. I want to get back to the point where I'm not thinking about it anymore but this time it'll be right:D

11. hendrixfan

hendrixfan Senior Stratmaster

i,m tryin to work on my vibrato,it,s more wrist now ,but i,ve really got to get itdown

12. aznrambo481

aznrambo481 Strat-O-Master

My vibrato has really always been wrist... it's easier to control that way :D I guess I'm AGES ahead of all of you!

13. ArlenBucy

ArlenBucy Senior Stratmaster

I completely agree with you John. I don;t think anyone should take someone on the internets opinon of what is right or wrong and take it as law. Do what feels and sounds right to you.