Pre 2006 Hwy 1 Stratocaster Question ?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by fendrguitplayr, Oct 13, 2006.

1. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Strat-Talk Member

One of my Strats was produced in September, 2005. It's a vintage blonde with maple neck. To my ears, the stock pups sound real bright, almost too bright. When I roll the tone off, It doesn't add any bass and sounds better.

Do you think that Fender put some of the out there with the "greasebucket circuit" before they recently announced the new upgraded Hwy 1 Strats with the large headstocks and jumbo frets ?

I saw in a copy of Frontline, that they advertised the "greasebucket circuit" and that was printed and published way before the recent announcement of the upgraded (and up-priced) Hwy 1's.

2. fendrguitplayr

No answers ?

It was suggested on another forum that I rewire my Hwy 1, according to the standard strat diagram from guitarnuts.com, using a 0.02uF capacitor.

Also, he said that the middle pickup needs to modified (change magnet & wiring leads) so that it is rw/rp ?

Does this make sense to anyone ?

3. Kelsey

Kelsey New Member!

The Greasebucket tone control was introduced before the '06 upgrades of the HWY1. I don't know what cap is in it (check Fender's Mr. Gearhead site for schematics), but it shouldn't be any smaller than .022uF. There's nothing wrong with rolling back the tone knob to control brightness -- that's why it's there. You might want to rewire the bottom tone control to the bridge pickup with a short jumper wire, or perhaps go the Jimmy Vaughan/Eric Johnson route and move the bottom tone wire over to the bridge pickup point.

You can't rewire the middle pickup for RWRP, but you might be able to find a RWRP replacement pickup that would work. That would cancel hum in the 2/4 notch positions, but is not necessary otherwise.

Other pickups may be less bright than the stock pickups, so you might try listening to sound clips at the Duncan site or the ACME guitar site for some options. And in the meantime, try adjusting the pickup heights to see whether you find a better balance for your ears, equipment, and style.

4. fendrguitplayr

>>You can't rewire the middle pickup for RWRP, but you might be able to find a RWRP replacement pickup that would work. That would cancel hum in the 2/4 notch positions, but is not necessary otherwise. <<

I turned the magnet around and reversed the leads, now it's rw/rp.

5. Kelsey

Kelsey New Member!

I didn't realize that you could reverse the magnets on a single coil pickup, at least not without risk of damaging the coil or bobbin. Live and learn...

6. Stratoclutter

Stratoclutter Strat-Talk Member

hway one ... the finish on mine self destructed... too bad