Preference For a 2-point or 6-point Tremolo System?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by dscottyg, Sep 13, 2021.

1. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Senior Stratmaster

I prefer the six-point, but maybe just because I'm more used to them. I've never had any tuning issues with them as long as they're machined properly in the factory and then set up correctly.

dscottyg and Glyderslead like this.
  2. Kestrel

Kestrel Strat-Talker Silver Member

I have both in my collection but on the 6 screw bridge I only use the 2 outer screws, done this since the 60's.

dscottyg likes this.
  3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I have both, but prefer the much neater and less clunky looking vintage 6 screw.

dscottyg, Glyderslead and SonOfLerome like this.
  4. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Two point became popular in the Floyd Rose days. Every player chased whatever they thought or was sold by Marketing as the secret sauce to get Floyd Rose dive bomb and tuning stability performance out of a guitar bridge system. Two point Strat trems looked more like Floyd Rose designs so they became popular.

[​IMG]

Then there was this Eric Clapton guy who bucked the trend and promoted wedging a block of wood in the back of your Strat to keep the string bends in tune.

I found I either block or deck trems: all of them are distraction devices. You are either trying to see how far you can go with the whammy before tuning becomes a problem or trying the hundred and one ways of fixing and maintaining tuning stability. Too much of a distraction for me.

dscottyg, train and fos1 like this.
  5. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

I prefer the look of the vintage 6, but I find that my 2 points are easier to set up and generally have smoother operation.

dscottyg likes this.
  6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

I deck them both so it doesn't matter so much to me, operationally speaking. Aesthetically, I prefer the 6 point.

dscottyg, Glyderslead and fos1 like this.
  7. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

I know..

8. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

6 works gr8 for me ;)

Good enough for the the greats . Rory, Stevie ,Jimi an David ;)

dscottyg and Glyderslead like this.
  9. uncle daddy

uncle daddy Strat-O-Master

Hardtail FTW

P1130460.JPG

dscottyg and Mr_Lahey like this.
  10. The_Whale

The_Whale Strat-Talker Silver Member

Why do all of the cheapest strat copies use 6-point if 2-point is cheaper to make?

Little Timmy, fos1 and vid1900 like this.
  11. achar073

achar073 Strat-Talk Member

I prefer 6 screw... find it's easier to do more subtle vibrato as it doesn't seems as touchy or have as much travel as the 2-point.

Both are good however

dscottyg and fos1 like this.
  12. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

If you actually use your whammy, you want a 2 point for sure.

dscottyg, Andrew Wasson and cranky like this.
  13. vid1900

CNC machines do all the boring in the blink of an eye.

Watch any of the factory videos

Little Timmy likes this.
  14. Slacker G

Slacker G Strat-O-Master

Two screws will not hold the roughly 200 lb pull of the strings. Eventually the two screws will cut into the body and be pulled towards the neck. That will elongate the holes giving you a floppy base for the vibrato to pivot on. That happened to a two screw vibrato I bought from Warmoth. The screws were much fatter than the screws in the 6 screw setup but after time they did their damage anyway. I had to fill the elongated holes and re-drill for the stud system.

The only way to change it is to buy a 2 point system with the studs that are pressed into the wood. There is not enough string pressure to pull the studs towards the neck because of their size.

DSC00915.JPG

dscottyg and Ruscio like this.
  15. dirocyn

dirocyn Most Honored Senior Member

It's not a big difference. Drilling the 6 holes probably takes less than 2 minutes for the body. And that's assuming the process is done on a drill press & jig, and not automated. Which, as @vid1900 says, is done by CNC--at least at Fender.

If you were building these things in Fujian province, China where the minimum wage is $2.33/hour, that would mean about 8 cents per guitar to do it on a drill press rather than on the CNC. I choose this example because that's where at least one of the Squier factories is. If that's what it costs, it might make less sense to invest in automation.

The bigger difference is the trem plate--the 2-point trem plate can be made in a simple stamping/folding operation that is certainly automated to some extent, likely all on one machine and I wouldn't be surprised if it can spit out a trem plate every other second---and run all day with no one watching it. It would be a machine similar to this one that makes electrical junction boxes (albeit simpler--this one looks like it's doing 4 steps and a trem plate only needs 2)

Whereas the 6-point is stamped, folded (the same kind of operation as above) and still has to go on to a drilling operation. A machine press doesn't make those countersunk holes, it's a drill bit. For a human with a drill press and jig, you'd do well to countersink 30 plates per hour. If it's all robotic it'll take some rather sophisticated machines--and you'd still be doing well to get 60 plates per hour.

So yes, absolutely the 2 point version is cheaper. Even if it's all automated, the 2 point trem plate is made on cheaper, simpler, faster machines.

16. RL21980

RL21980 Strat-O-Master

Exactly!
    And if you don't like apple pie the terrorists win.

Six point camp.

Glyderslead and jrbirdman like this.
  17. dirocyn

dirocyn Most Honored Senior Member

Are you playing 15s? Good grief. A set of 13s only makes about 180 lbs of tension.

These days people consider 11s heavy--a set of 11s on a Strat will make 130 lbs. 10s would be 106, and 9s about 86. 8s about 68.

A set of 10s for 12-string would make roughly 200 lbs. Maybe that's what you're thinking of.

Your point stands, a 2-point trem uses studs set into inserts that are pressed into the wood.

18. vid1900

Don't forget that the 2 adjustable pivot posts have to be machined on a lathe to cut the V-grooves as they are not off-the-shelf screws like the 6-point

and then you have the 2 genuine brass body inserts that need to be kneraled on a lathe then threaded

CNC lathe operators make the big bucks in China, like $2.62 /hr !!!!

31fwo4KhcGL._AC_.jpg
    images.jpg

19. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

As someone who has zero attachment to vintage specs and guitar tradition, I'm cool with 2-point. It feels smoother and is easier to set up. And my bridge has 4 fewer holes in it.

dscottyg, Andrew Wasson and vid1900 like this.
  20. vid1900

....and think of the extra machining required for the tremolo arm pop-in mech on the 2 point.

No wonder the 2-point costs more!

dlx-block-2.jpg

dscottyg, Andrew Wasson and The_Whale like this.