Preference For a 2-point or 6-point Tremolo System?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by dscottyg, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Ruscio

Ruscio Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

I've had many of each and don't think they perform very differently if set up well. Purely based on aesthetics I prefer the 2-point for the more modern look.

dscottyg likes this.
  2. The_Whale

The_Whale Strat-Talker Silver Member

I still don't believe 2-point is cheaper to make.

vid1900 likes this.
  3. The_Whale

The_Whale Strat-Talker Silver Member

extra parts.
    more precision.

Some of the reasons 2-point is more expensive to make.

4. Chipss36

Chipss36 Strat-O-Master

With a fender Strat, a six, just like the original.

if I need massive whammy, I do not use a strat, an Ibanez with the edge trem is what I use…

Attached Files:

5. TimJ

TimJ Strat-O-Master

I own both, and don’t really have a preference - the better it stays in tune, the more I like it.

And whilst I’m not a whammy abuser to a metal extent, I still reserve the right to do the occasional divebomb.

Probably my Beck sig Strat and Lukather sig Music Man (both with 2 point trems) have the best stability but I also have had decent results with 6 screw trems.

dscottyg, Andrew Wasson and The_Whale like this.
  6. sgarnett

sgarnett Senior Stratmaster

I like the slightly wider string spacing of a vintage style 6 screw.

The modern style does line up better with the poles of a bridge humbucker, but I like SSS.

Depending on how you look at it, the modern narrow-spaced 6 screw is either the best or worst of both.

dscottyg and Glyderslead like this.
  7. stylemessiah

stylemessiah Strat-Talker

2 point trems, along with anything with a late 60's large headstock should cease to exist, any guitar out there featuring either should be bought in a buyback scheme, and burnt, and their ashes sent to hell, where they belong

Not that im passionate about the subject or anything.

Seriously, the 2 point trem is a hateful thing, end of.

If you have a 2 point trem, you dont own a real Stratocaster, you have an abomination

But again, im not super passionate about it

dscottyg and Oscardeau like this.
  8. Malurkey

Malurkey Senior Stratmaster

I think you can set the height at which the bridge pivots with a 2 point trem, which you wouldn’t be able to do with a 6 point trem. So a 2 point trem would give you more options for set up.

I think. I haven’t actually tried. o_O

dscottyg and SatinNeck81 like this.
  9. sttrat714

sttrat714 Strat-Talk Member

10. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Most Honored Senior Member

I completely agree with everything you said, except in the complete opposite.

dscottyg likes this.
  11. Tremdaddy

Tremdaddy Strat-Talk Member

6 point with traditional screw in trem bar feels good and the trem bar doesn't rock in its slot. Very smooth.

2 point feels good too but the ones with drop in trem bar with the little adjustment screw always needs tweaking. If the adjustment screw comes loose, even a little, the bar rocks back and forth in its slot producing an audible "click". And you can never find that little wrench when you need it, lol.

Floyd Rose changes the sound of your guitar a bit due to drilling those holes in the headstock but if you want smooth dive bombing capability for high gain stuff its a winner. They make a mount for the adjustment wrenches that attaches to your headstock, you already drilled holes so what the hell.

dscottyg likes this.
  12. SatinNeck81

SatinNeck81 Strat-Talker

I have the 2-point with the vintage style saddles. I think its more stable. Been thinking about having the bridge up against the body for more sustain as I don't really pull up on the bar. But I do think the float gives the tone of the guitar some spank if that makes sense. The trems on strats can be great, but the guitar has to be set up well and the strings need to be stretched properly, have enough winds, etc. Floyd Rose is definitely the best trem system if you are going to whale on the whammy.

The_Whale and dscottyg like this.
  13. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

If you want the whammy decked the 6 screw bridge is better, if you want it floating the 2 point bridge is better. I prefer the bridge to be decked so I like the vintage 6 screw bridge better. Decking it couples the string vibration to the body much better which improves the tone some. If you want to play like Jeff Beck then it needs to float.

train likes this.
  14. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I pretty much agree about the two pints, but I am fine with the big headstock.

dscottyg likes this.
  15. pookie613

pookie613 Strat-O-Master

I prefer the vintage 6-screw whammy bridge for looks but concede that the 2-point modern whammy bridge is a better design: The 2 bolts are cast with a "waist" at the top that holds the trem plate's edge blades in position: They let you raise and lower the entire bridge. Just like a Floyd Rose.

(Assuming that you know to loosen the middle 4 screws of the vintage trem...) The two vintage end screws don't have factory-cast grooves, so the "blades" (pivot holes) can ride up and down on the screw; Callaham's vintage style bridges advertise hardened screws, which lessens wear and grooves from forming on the screws. The designers of the 2-point trem probably thought about that.

The wear is more likely to happen with higher tension (heavier gauge strings). With FR bridges, you're supposed to loosen strings before adjusting the height.

IMO, it makes no difference for light whammy shimmers. If everything else is well-adjusted, a vintage whammy can be used more aggressively without tuning problems.

dscottyg likes this.
  16. datsunrobbie

datsunrobbie Strat-Talk Member

17. Dr Don

Dr Don New Member!

I would say the 2 point is the more specifically designed tremolo, the grommets embedded in the body (instead of wood screws) being the obvious benefit

18. Strat it up

Strat it up Strat-Talk Member

I have both. My 6 screws bridge guitar sounds more traditional and the the one with the 2-point trem sounds more modern, if it makes any sense.

19. SAguitar

SAguitar Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Simple, I use 6 screws for all my 6-string Strats, and 2 screws for all my 2 string Strats! There, I said it.

20. alitz

alitz Strat-Talk Member

In reading the decidely mixed opinions on this, I think we should look at the father of the design, Leo Fender. As we all know, Leo left Fender fairly early in the companies history and went on to Music Man and then the founding of G&L in the early 80s. And....the last version of the trem that he had a hand in and that the company actually stuck with till this day, is the 2-pt tremelo. I don't believe that G&L used a 6-pt. on any of their guitars in their history while he was still with us. So apparently, Leo looked at the original, vintage design that he had created and looked for way of improving that design, and thus came up with the currently used 2-pt. system. Not sure when Floyd Rose came into the discussion originally but I think that is not really relavent when you are talkling about the original Stratocaster design. The only reason the guitar masters use the 6 is because their guitars are usually vintage and it is what the got used to. And the master of the Strat tremelo would certainly be Jeff Beck, who went with the 2-pt. on his model.
    As a side note, I was looking for an early 60s Strat or reissue and ended up getting a PRS Silver Sky with a completely modern, John Mayer requested design which has a decked 2 pt. with down diving only.

Mikeylefty and dscottyg like this.