Preference For a 2-point or 6-point Tremolo System?

Ruscio

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Nov 14, 2016
Pennsylvania
I've had many of each and don't think they perform very differently if set up well. Purely based on aesthetics I prefer the 2-point for the more modern look.

The_Whale

Strat-O-Master
Apr 11, 2020
Gaithersburg, MD
Don't forget that the 2 adjustable pivot posts have to be machined on a lathe to cut the V-grooves as they are not off-the-shelf screws like the 6-point

and then you have the 2 genuine brass body inserts that need to be kneraled on a lathe then threaded

CNC lathe operators make the big bucks in China, like $2.62 /hr !!!!

View attachment 507704
View attachment 507706

extra parts.
more precision.

Some of the reasons 2-point is more expensive to make.

Chipss36

Strat-O-Master
Oct 1, 2018
Texas
With a fender Strat, a six, just like the original.

if I need massive whammy, I do not use a strat, an Ibanez with the edge trem is what I use…

Attachments

• 9BBABF65-8C25-4845-A23A-1EC2FDEBED81.jpeg
    9BBABF65-8C25-4845-A23A-1EC2FDEBED81.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 4

TimJ

Strat-O-Master
Aug 5, 2012
London
I own both, and don’t really have a preference - the better it stays in tune, the more I like it.

And whilst I’m not a whammy abuser to a metal extent, I still reserve the right to do the occasional divebomb.

Probably my Beck sig Strat and Lukather sig Music Man (both with 2 point trems) have the best stability but I also have had decent results with 6 screw trems.

sgarnett

Senior Stratmaster
May 19, 2019
Versailles, KY
I like the slightly wider string spacing of a vintage style 6 screw.

The modern style does line up better with the poles of a bridge humbucker, but I like SSS.

Depending on how you look at it, the modern narrow-spaced 6 screw is either the best or worst of both.

stylemessiah

Strat-Talker
Dec 11, 2017
Sydney, Australia
2 point trems, along with anything with a late 60's large headstock should cease to exist, any guitar out there featuring either should be bought in a buyback scheme, and burnt, and their ashes sent to hell, where they belong

Not that im passionate about the subject or anything.

Seriously, the 2 point trem is a hateful thing, end of.

If you have a 2 point trem, you dont own a real Stratocaster, you have an abomination

But again, im not super passionate about it

rocknrollrich

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 8, 2016
philadelphia
2 point trems, along with anything with a late 60's large headstock should cease to exist, any guitar out there featuring either should be bought in a buyback scheme, and burnt, and their ashes sent to hell, where they belong

If you have a 2 point trem, you dont own a real Stratocaster, you have an abomination

I completely agree with everything you said, except in the complete opposite.

Tremdaddy

Strat-Talker
Sep 18, 2020
North Hollywood, California
6 point with traditional screw in trem bar feels good and the trem bar doesn't rock in its slot. Very smooth.

2 point feels good too but the ones with drop in trem bar with the little adjustment screw always needs tweaking. If the adjustment screw comes loose, even a little, the bar rocks back and forth in its slot producing an audible "click". And you can never find that little wrench when you need it, lol.

Floyd Rose changes the sound of your guitar a bit due to drilling those holes in the headstock but if you want smooth dive bombing capability for high gain stuff its a winner. They make a mount for the adjustment wrenches that attaches to your headstock, you already drilled holes so what the hell.

SatinNeck81

Strat-Talker
Jun 6, 2020
Upstate NY
I have the 2-point with the vintage style saddles. I think its more stable. Been thinking about having the bridge up against the body for more sustain as I don't really pull up on the bar. But I do think the float gives the tone of the guitar some spank if that makes sense. The trems on strats can be great, but the guitar has to be set up well and the strings need to be stretched properly, have enough winds, etc. Floyd Rose is definitely the best trem system if you are going to whale on the whammy.

Scott Baxendale

Most Honored Senior Member
Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Sante Fe, NM
If you want the whammy decked the 6 screw bridge is better, if you want it floating the 2 point bridge is better. I prefer the bridge to be decked so I like the vintage 6 screw bridge better. Decking it couples the string vibration to the body much better which improves the tone some. If you want to play like Jeff Beck then it needs to float.

jtoomuch

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Feb 28, 2010
South Florida

I pretty much agree about the two pints, but I am fine with the big headstock.

pookie613

Strat-O-Master
May 14, 2008
Texas
I prefer the vintage 6-screw whammy bridge for looks but concede that the 2-point modern whammy bridge is a better design: The 2 bolts are cast with a "waist" at the top that holds the trem plate's edge blades in position: They let you raise and lower the entire bridge. Just like a Floyd Rose.

(Assuming that you know to loosen the middle 4 screws of the vintage trem...) The two vintage end screws don't have factory-cast grooves, so the "blades" (pivot holes) can ride up and down on the screw; Callaham's vintage style bridges advertise hardened screws, which lessens wear and grooves from forming on the screws. The designers of the 2-point trem probably thought about that.

The wear is more likely to happen with higher tension (heavier gauge strings). With FR bridges, you're supposed to loosen strings before adjusting the height.

IMO, it makes no difference for light whammy shimmers. If everything else is well-adjusted, a vintage whammy can be used more aggressively without tuning problems.

Dr Don

Strat-Talk Member
Jul 14, 2017
Florida
I've always preferred the two-point. I just find it to have a smoother operation as well as being easier to adjust for pivot point height.
I would say the 2 point is the more specifically designed tremolo, the grommets embedded in the body (instead of wood screws) being the obvious benefit

Strat it up

Strat-Talk Member
May 10, 2018
Greece
I have both. My 6 screws bridge guitar sounds more traditional and the the one with the 2-point trem sounds more modern, if it makes any sense.

alitz

Strat-Talk Member
Jul 4, 2013
Greensboro, NC
In reading the decidely mixed opinions on this, I think we should look at the father of the design, Leo Fender. As we all know, Leo left Fender fairly early in the companies history and went on to Music Man and then the founding of G&L in the early 80s. And....the last version of the trem that he had a hand in and that the company actually stuck with till this day, is the 2-pt tremelo. I don't believe that G&L used a 6-pt. on any of their guitars in their history while he was still with us. So apparently, Leo looked at the original, vintage design that he had created and looked for way of improving that design, and thus came up with the currently used 2-pt. system. Not sure when Floyd Rose came into the discussion originally but I think that is not really relavent when you are talkling about the original Stratocaster design. The only reason the guitar masters use the 6 is because their guitars are usually vintage and it is what the got used to. And the master of the Strat tremelo would certainly be Jeff Beck, who went with the 2-pt. on his model.
As a side note, I was looking for an early 60s Strat or reissue and ended up getting a PRS Silver Sky with a completely modern, John Mayer requested design which has a decked 2 pt. with down diving only.