Preferred amp for EJ Thinline

Sushi313

Strat-Talk Member
Oct 10, 2021
California
I am interested in getting an EJ Thinline. What kind of amp would be best paired with this type of guitar? I currently have a Mustang gtx 50. I just play at home and with friends no gigs. Thank you!

Sushi313

Strat-Talk Member
Oct 10, 2021
California
There is no best paired amp. There’s only the amp that your ears like.

It’s simply a matter of what you like to play and what kind of tones are you looking for.

Prepare for at least 75 different recommendations which will all be a good fit :)

I am ready for those recommendations! :thumb:

Wound_Up

You can call me Duane 😁
Silver Member
Jan 23, 2020
NW LA
The best paired amp is the one you have. Play it and quit worrying about stuff no one ever considered.

When they madr that guitar, they didn't build it with a specific amp in mind. And there's been no amps built specifically for that guitar.

Play what you have and enjoy it.

crankmeister

Most Honored Senior Member
Jul 9, 2020
Republic of Gilead
The best paired amp is the one you have. Play it and quit worrying about stuff no one ever considered.

When they madr that guitar, they didn't build it with a specific amp in mind. And there's been no amps built specifically for that guitar.

Play what you have and enjoy it.
All true.

But the guy's worked up a perfectly good excuse to buy a new amp . . . for a new guitar that he's thinking about getting . . . and he's here getting his card validated.

For a $500 budget, I would be scouring for deals on the best tube amp (my own bias) that matches your ideal for specs and headroom, probably nothing bigger than 20-30w depending on the brand and condition. Sometimes you can get a good deal from Sweetwater on their demo amps (if you're ok relying on online demos for sound checks), or just go with good old GC, CL and FB marketplace.

Kimex

Strat-Talk Member
Silver Member
Jan 18, 2020
Denmark
I am interested in getting an EJ Thinline. What kind of amp would be best paired with this type of guitar? I currently have a Mustang gtx 50. I just play at home and with friends no gigs. Thank you!

A tube amp. If you want playing drive effekt pedal. A tube with FX loop and external speaker output. I have a Pavey Invective MH 20 head. I think the 40 ib and 12" speaker make better sound for drive pedals. Therefore speakeroutput.
Your Mustang have many modulation. Some tube amp have a system you can connect effekt direct to input. If not pedalboard can be a nightmare without FX loop.

I would not recommend a specific brand or amp. It's up to you.

ToneRanger

Jun 8, 2009
Area 51

Honestly, for home use etc - what you have can be pretty effective, especially if you get in and use the proprietary software to fine-tune your own presets.
My home rig is a pair of old Mustang I's run in stereo.

20211009_181802.jpg

If you are chasing EJ's tone, the most cost-effective way is to start with a Fender BF type of sound - preferably a Twin - and then pair a flexible "Marshall-in-a-box" type of OD pedal along with a booster that has control over treble and bass. Set the OD for a solid, distorted yet still clear sound, then position the booster after, set with the treble rolled off to kick in for leads.
As seen above for my home rig, I use a Sparkle Drive Mod as my OD and the Giggity after as the booster/darkener, and it sounds like this:

Sushi313

Strat-Talk Member
Oct 10, 2021
California
Honestly, for home use etc - what you have can be pretty effective, especially if you get in and use the proprietary software to fine-tune your own presets.
My home rig is a pair of old Mustang I's run in stereo.

View attachment 513864

If you are chasing EJ's tone, the most cost-effective way is to start with a Fender BF type of sound - preferably a Twin - and then pair a flexible "Marshall-in-a-box" type of OD pedal along with a booster that has control over treble and bass. Set the OD for a solid, distorted yet still clear sound, then position the booster after, set with the treble rolled off to kick in for leads.
As seen above for my home rig, I use a Sparkle Drive Mod as my OD and the Giggity after as the booster/darkener, and it sounds like this:

Thank you so much for sharing! Just want to know what's out there, knowing that a semi hollow has an "airy" sound compared to a solid body;)

ToneRanger

Jun 8, 2009
Area 51
Thank you so much for sharing! Just want to know what's out there, knowing that a semi hollow has an "airy" sound compared to a solid body;)

The tonal differences aren't really enough to warrant an amp change per se - the only differences I've had with semi-hollows is just the feedback factor and how the sound bounces off the inside of the F holes.

Latest posts