• Looooooooow

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BigNorm

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Sitting here playing endlessly on my new Strat and realized that not only do I prefer Strats in Eb tuning.... I think I prefer everything tuned down 1/2 step.

I almost can't stand to play a Strat in standard tuning anymore, and my Ibanez Genesis stays in Eb for almost everything as well! Even having multiple guitars, I always think that I'll use different ones for different tunings...but nope!

So, what tuning do you guys find yourself playing in the majority of the time?
Same for me...even my acoustic is also in Eb.

Lewbypls

Strat-O-Master
Nov 8, 2018
New York
Serious question. When ppl play in Eb tuning for a song that normally is in E standard, do they play the song normally or do they go up a fret for everything?

Theron

Strat-O-Master
Nov 16, 2017
Indiana
Serious question. When ppl play in Eb tuning for a song that normally is in E standard, do they play the song normally or do they go up a fret for everything?

I play it normally, as you put it. That's the whole point of tuning down, is to get that slightly lower sound. I mean if you're playing along with a song and don't have the ability to change it to match your Eb tuning, then you'd have to shift up a fret.

I open songs in the "Tape Deck" of Guitar Rig 5, and downtune them to Eb tuning, it's awesome.

Lewbypls

Strat-O-Master
Nov 8, 2018
New York
I play it normally, as you put it. That's the whole point of tuning down, is to get that slightly lower sound. I mean if you're playing along with a song and don't have the ability to change it to match your Eb tuning, then you'd have to shift up a fret.

I open songs in the "Tape Deck" of Guitar Rig 5, and downtune them to Eb tuning, it's awesome.
Ok I figured you would just play it normal. But I wasn't sure on that. Thanks for the confirmation :D

walter01

Strat-Talker
Jan 28, 2022
United Kingdom
Sitting here playing endlessly on my new Strat and realized that not only do I prefer Strats in Eb tuning.... I think I prefer everything tuned down 1/2 step.

I almost can't stand to play a Strat in standard tuning anymore, and my Ibanez Genesis stays in Eb for almost everything as well! Even having multiple guitars, I always think that I'll use different ones for different tunings...but nope!

So, what tuning do you guys find yourself playing in the majority of the time?
It’s ok dropping your tunings, but what do you do when you are called to jam, or play a number with a band that plays in standard tuning, using your guitar? They ain’t going to tune down. It happens often with me. Capos are a pain. Don’t get stuck in a rut with your tunings. Be flexible. Harder to play in standard tuning? It will harden up the ends of your fingers, plus when you do play in E flat again, it will be even more easy.

davidKOS

not posting these days
May 28, 2012
California
I don't like making other musicians transpose...and I don't like doing it myself unless I absolutely have to. Standard tuning for me.
I have NEVER tuned a guitar to Eb, other than using the transpose knob on the Variax.

A440 standard tuning for me.

BTW, a guitar tuned to Eb is actually a "guitar in B" by band instrument standards.

A regular guitar plays a C concert when you finger a C.

A guitar tuned down a half step plays a B concert when one fingers a C.

It's really in the key of B.

No other band instruments are in the key of B.

I have tuned guitars and mandolins down to Bb (that is "D tuning") so I could read the same music as my buddies playing clarinet and tenor sax.

I also have used drop-D, DADGAD, open D and E, open G, and on lap steel A6, C6, E7, C#m7, etc.

Lots of fine players have used Eb tuning.

Guitarchaeologist

Master Spuddler
Silver Member
Dec 17, 2016
Behind the 8 ball
I prefer Eb tuning. Have for decades. Around 2016 I (again) got multiple Strats and kept one tuned Eb, one standard, but the last couple years I have been using standard tuning almost exclusively to facilitate the few opps I get to play with other musicians.

robert e

Strat-Talk Member
Jan 31, 2021
NJ
Mozart might have agreed with you Eb folks. A=440Hz as an international standard is a 20th century thing, though it was advocated earlier. The history is pretty interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concert_pitch

Playing together in Eb isn't a big hassle for guitar/bass, horns or digital keys, and I agree it can sound great for some types of music. And Eb-heads can always capo up to standard. It can feel nice on the fingers too.

I don't live there, but I enjoy visiting.

80sGuy

Strat-Talker
Dec 4, 2012
Los Angeles
Some of my Strats are in E-flat 1/2 step down, one Strat and a Les Paul in standard tuning. It is something I cover across the stuffs I play.