• Looooooooow

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jd35801

Strat-Talker
Jan 17, 2012
Alabama
Eb is easier to play/sing certain songs and I would prefer it but as everyone else I play with is in standard, I stay in standard and use lighter strings.
But there seems to be something tonally that sounds better when a Strat is tuned down a half-step. Maybe it really IS “God’s tuning”???

Scott Baxendale

Most Honored Senior Member
Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Sante Fe, NM
Sitting here playing endlessly on my new Strat and realized that not only do I prefer Strats in Eb tuning.... I think I prefer everything tuned down 1/2 step.

I almost can't stand to play a Strat in standard tuning anymore, and my Ibanez Genesis stays in Eb for almost everything as well! Even having multiple guitars, I always think that I'll use different ones for different tunings...but nope!

So, what tuning do you guys find yourself playing in the majority of the time?
I played in Eb for several years, but these days I prefer D standard with the occasional dropped C.

joebtone

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Jan 26, 2022
Northwest US
I have NEVER tuned a guitar to Eb, other than using the transpose knob on the Variax.

A440 standard tuning for me.

BTW, a guitar tuned to Eb is actually a "guitar in B" by band instrument standards.

A regular guitar plays a C concert when you finger a C.

A guitar tuned down a half step plays a B concert when one fingers a C.

It's really in the key of B.

No other band instruments are in the key of B.

I have tuned guitars and mandolins down to Bb (that is "D tuning") so I could read the same music as my buddies playing clarinet and tenor sax.

I also have used drop-D, DADGAD, open D and E, open G, and on lap steel A6, C6, E7, C#m7, etc.

Lots of fine players have used Eb tuning.
I like to have standby guitar in Eb for playing with pianists who play a lot in Bb and F keys...and Eb.

MetalPedal

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 22, 2016
Auto-Wah, Canada
Sitting here playing endlessly on my new Strat and realized that not only do I prefer Strats in Eb tuning.... I think I prefer everything tuned down 1/2 step.

I almost can't stand to play a Strat in standard tuning anymore, and my Ibanez Genesis stays in Eb for almost everything as well! Even having multiple guitars, I always think that I'll use different ones for different tunings...but nope!

So, what tuning do you guys find yourself playing in the majority of the time?
What do you do when practicing covers with the original song that is in standard tuning?

Theron

Strat-O-Master
Nov 16, 2017
Indiana
What do you do when practicing covers with the original song that is in standard tuning?

I put the song into Guitar Rig 5 and convert it to the tuning I want.
I do the same with Motely Crue stuff that I don't want to tune to D Standard for.
There are many software options to change the pitch of songs, and as long as you don't go crazy, the songs still sound great. (It gets a little wonky if you start down-tuning standard songs to drop C or something lol...the music still sounds good but the vocals sound crazy.

I have no problem playing in standard if I were playing with a group or something, but if I'm sitting at home on my own, why do I care that my non-existent band has to down tune to match my Eb :) lol

amstratnut

Peace thru Music.
Dec 1, 2009
My house.
Standard. I get inspired by alternate tunings but most everything I play in my bands is in standard. I dont really have time for anything else. Except I enjoy coming up with riffs in drop D sometimes.

Ronnie Fn D

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 1, 2022
Valrico FL
It’s ok dropping your tunings, but what do you do when you are called to jam, or play a number with a band that plays in standard tuning, using your guitar? They ain’t going to tune down. It happens often with me. Capos are a pain. Don’t get stuck in a rut with your tunings. Be flexible. Harder to play in standard tuning? It will harden up the ends of your fingers, plus when you do play in E flat again, it will be even more easy.
I play in D standard. When I jam with others I just use a capo and it's not too bad for me ...I just clip it on there and start playing.