Prices of things don't make sense?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by mikej89, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

What point are you trying to make? I was commenting on cost versus value, not bragging about my mad fabrication skills.

DM1975 and Boognish like this.
  2. gofmusic

gofmusic Senior Stratmaster

Its not the strat, its the hype. LOL.

3. gofmusic

gofmusic Senior Stratmaster

I mean... David Gilmours black strat was sold for 5.7 millions... that guitar was beaten to death, modified in every possible way, not original by any means but it has such a historic value to it.

Pre CBS strats hold at least a little historic value too. Thats what motivates the hype IMO, because if what you need is to play music, you dont NEED a pre CBS at all. If you want a pre CBS, then its fine.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  4. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist Strat-Talk Supporter

That's a well used 40-50ft yacht in questionable confition.

CB91710 likes this.
  5. Cerb

Yep. But it can take you places and it can be a home...

6. Elvie

Elvie Strat-O-Master

The two best days of owning a yacht are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.'

...The rest is just bills and hassle.

7. Cerb

A yacht is a wooden (GRP these days) linrd hole in the water that youbthrow money into. It's worth it though.

8. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

Thats why its called a boat
    Break
    Out
    Another
    Thousand

9. knh555

knh555 Most Honored Senior Member

My grandfather loved powerboats. In his retirement, he bought an older 42' Hatteras. The fuel that thing consumed was unreal. He could only afford to take it off the dock about once per year for special events, often paid for by my dad and uncles. But he did enjoy living on the thing tied to the dock. So in his case, it didn't really take him anywhere but did serve as a second home. He had to pay mooring fees and yacht club dues of course too.

Oh, and it seemed every time we did take it out on the Chesapeake, the engines would die and my Dad and uncles needed a couple hours to fix things up. We took the opportunity to swim off the boat while we drifted about.

I personally prefer to sail. Operational costs are much lower, but for larger sailboats they costs still be quite high with property, liability, and tow insurance, mooring fees, hauling fees, and the constant maintenance these things usually require.

I sail myself, but I stick to much smaller boats that I can trailer myself. Not 40+' yachts that are more work than enjoyment. (I hate that word).

Paperback Rocker, dogletnoir and Cerb like this.
  10. Cerb

Yeah, I've owned sailboats between 23 and 42 feet and spent a total of almost 4 years living on board. The 42ft one, beatiful William Garden designed ketch took us all around Europe and parts of N Africa. With her wooden masts and all that teak she became too much work after our son was born. The 35ft plastic fantastic we have now is pretty low maintenance, we hose down with a high pressure washer 2 times a year and haul her out every other year.

Owning boats in Sweden is pretty cheap but they are more expensive to buy. I spend around $1000 every year on insurance and mooring.

CeltRocka, dogletnoir and knh555 like this.
  11. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Senior Stratmaster

Not all pre CBS are silly money and unless you've spent time with/playing one much you never will understand the attraction. Part of the cost is down to the relatively few numbers made compared to the hundreds of thousands of modern day mim or American and the ones still remaining in untouched condition are the expensive ones. Give me a pre CBS over owning a boat any day of the week .

tanta07 likes this.
  12. ocean

ocean Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

This is why I don't own a yacht

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

13. Wayfinder

Wayfinder Strat-Talker

There has never been any accounting for the value of an item. Why is a diamond so much more costly than a better-overall-quality zircon, which has the same properties and is flawless. Diamond: $4k to $15k per carat. Zircon: $50 to $100 per carat.

It is perceived value as opposed to real value. Realistically the zircon is better. Perceptually, if you're putting it on a wedding ring it better be a diamond.

What makes an Amazing Fantasy #15 (Spiderman) original comic book worth $75,000+... whereas a superior-quality digitally re-printed copy is three bucks?

Humans are strange, illogical, irrational creatures with egos and an artificially-created sense of "value". It's all in the head. "Want often exceeds need." That is one viable, scientific explanation. ;D

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    Boognish likes this.
  14. Cerb

It's supply and demand, plus some hype.

Take a dehydrated person in the middle of the Sahara desert, give him a million dollars and then offer him the option of spending them on a new house or a glass of water.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  15. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy Strat-Talker

Is anyone thinking thread de-evolving into a “yachtcaster” thread at some point, or is it just me?

but seriously I’m glad I’m not a boat guy, it’s like owning a vacation home- all you do is spend money maintaining it instead of enjoying it.... BTDT.

Boognish and Cerb like this.
  16. Cerb

We enjoy ours plenty :) heck, our son was made on it while bumping around the Canaries :whistling:

17. RL21980

RL21980 Strat-Talker

I've never been a boat guy. Thats a good acronym that has just reinforced my "not a boat guy" sentiment.

Bob the builder likes this.
  18. 57Strat777

57Strat777 Strat-O-Master

Russel Crow's leather jock-strap sold for $7000. Why? Because someone was willing to pay that much for it. That pretty sums up why pre-CBS Strats go for around $20K. Things are worth what someone is willing to pay. It really is that simple.

Wayfinder likes this.
  19. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

They have monasteries there too? :whistling:

Cerb and Stratwrangler like this.
  20. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Senior Stratmaster

Too far from shore to get to a Chemist /pharmacy that night :p

Cerb likes this.