Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Pride and JOYO! The Vintage Overdrive Has Got What It Takes!

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by Nicobe, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Nicobe

Nicobe Strat-Talk Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Bologna
    Hey guys!

Here's another one!
    The damn Vintage Overdrive, a tubescreamer clone...This thing got sound

One day I tried one as a joke (I already have a tubescreamer) and I was impressed, so I had to buy one just to make this demo to do justice to the pedal. 30 €, you know, can't say no to that.
    Also, I'm just now realizing taht I can do the double tubescreamer thing a la SRV!

I have nothing bad to say about this pedal except for the battery case that is very narrow and cheap looking: the battery can barely fit in and it's hard to take out
    ...but you can save a lot of money if you go for this instead of the tube screamer (which I will blind test it against the joyo in the next vid. Spoiler: they are incredibily similar).

At the end of the video I also try it as a booster and also it is as nice as a real tubescreamer.
    If you don't want to go through the whole thing there are timestamps in the description box on youtube.

If this was informative or entertaining consider leaving a like on youtube! By the way, nobody pays me to do this, but I wish they would! LOL

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017

2. TheDuck

TheDuck Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    I have the same pedal, it actually sounds a lot better than both my real tube screamers.

Best part is I paid less than $30 shipped to my door

3. Nicobe

Nicobe Strat-Talk Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Bologna
    I think that the latest version of this joyo pedal is getting closer and closer to the real thing.

carolinaeasy, Tazz3 and TheDuck like this.

4. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Mine is about a year to a year and a half old, I find it has a wider dynamic and gain range then the Ibanez model.

In a blind test I doubt anyone could tell them apart.

I originally bought this pedal is kind of a half hearted joke.
    Now I own six Joyos.

Who knew?

carolinaeasy, mshivy and Nicobe like this.

5. Tazz3

Tazz3 Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2013
    East islip ny.
    Im geting this pedal its aweaome for the money

mshivy likes this.

6. Jamie

Jamie Strat-O-Master

Jun 18, 2015
    Australia
    Happy with mine, I've never had a screamer but this does what I want it too and cheap!

7. jofish

jofish Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2015
    Hull, UK
    Love the sound of the Vintage Overdrive but wouldn't rely on them for anything other than home use. I've had two of them die on me after just a few gigs. No idea what went wrong with them but my (severely) limited DIY skills couldn't resurrect them :(

Now I just have a VO and a Crunch Distortion to play with at home, and that's fine by me :)

mshivy likes this.

8. FormerTeleGuy

FormerTeleGuy Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2013
    Oak Lawn, IL

9. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

I want one!!!
    Anything green sounds mean!

10. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Same here. I have had 2 Joyo's and one died and the switch on the other one fell apart after a month. Came from China so way to costly to ship back. Both went in the trash. Great sounding and fun for home but not a chance I would trust them at a gig.

jofish likes this.

11. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Strat-O-Master

Nov 30, 2014
    WI
    My son got one of these and I initially scoffed. When I tried it out, I was really impressed. Not too surprised to hear about them failing, though. Like most of the cheap Chinese stuff, you get what you pay for.

12. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    I've used mine in home, and for garage jams and the occasional small gig. They seem sturdy enough, but I am also not the type of player who believes my pedals work better the harder I step on them.

I probably wouldnt trust them for heavy touring, but they arent priced as pro gear, so they shouldnt be expected to act like pro gear.
    I mean seriously, do you expect a $30 pedal to be equal to a $100 pedal? Thinking it would be is just foolish.

13. Nicobe

Nicobe Strat-Talk Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Bologna
    Thanks for the support!

I agree with most of you, these things sound great but reliability is not to be expected at this price point.

Pro gear is pro gear afterall, sometimes a little overpriced, but you can save going second hand.

These pedals are great for those who don't want to waste money on gear they would not use at the fullest anyway or for those who want spares of their original pedal.
    Or maybe if you just like fooling around with sounds and want to experiment new things but still like to have the money to go out on weekends!

Stratoskater likes this.

14. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Agreed but if you are playing a paying gig then you owe it to the owner and audience to have reliable gear. This is why I would never play a paying show with one. Plus if you break 2 or 3 you have spent almost $100 so better to buy the $100 pedal upfront. Again the tone of these are very good, not knocking that in any way.

jofish and TheDuck like this.

15. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    I definitely agree, and I should have been more specific.
    The gigs I did with my Joyo board were small gigs (benefits actually) at the local VFW. It was only friends and family in attendance, and my set was short. An hour if I remember right.
    I wasnt using my own amp, and I just needed a few pedals to "grab and go".

The other times I "gigged" with my Joyos were small gatherings, which were usually BBQs that turned into a jam after enough beer was consumed.
    If someone spilled a cup of beer on my cheapie board, nothing lost. Spilling one on my pro board, well, that might start a fight :eek:

So yea, I completely get what you're saying.

Stratoskater likes this.

16. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

Great demo!

Nicobe likes this.

17. Boppy

Boppy Strat-Talker

May 29, 2011
    Toronto
    I have the NUX Vintage Overdrive which is pretty much the same as the Joyo.
    They seem to be TS808 clones rather than TS9s.

18. Nicobe

Nicobe Strat-Talk Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Bologna
    N
    never thought about that!

19. Boppy

Boppy Strat-Talker

May 29, 2011
    Toronto
    The difference is two resistors and two diodes, so probably best not to think about it...

Nicobe likes this.

20. mike77rios

mike77rios Strat-Talk Member

Jun 9, 2012
    San Diego
    I have the Joyo. It's sounds great. I just got EHX Crayon. The Joyo kicks it. But I still have to get used to the Crayon so......did I mention the Joyo kicks.....