Princeton AA964 Build

Discussion in 'DIY Amp Forum' started by 93-Strat, May 18, 2020.

1. 93-Strat

93-Strat Strat-O-Master

I found the tremolo to be too fast so I swapped the shunt resistor on the back of the Speed pot from 100k to 220k. Much better, much more usable range.

2. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Most Honored Senior Member

I haven't compared the 964 to the 1164, but I wonder why it was so fast. My AA1164 speed will go all the way to zero.

93-Strat likes this.
  3. 93-Strat

93-Strat Strat-O-Master

It was slow on zero. I liked it at 1,2,3. 4 was okay. 5 and up though was just too much for me. I get better range with the 220k now is all. It just made the speed control have a slower ramp up. What was going on at 5 is about 7 now. AA1164 is the Princeton Reverb. The tremolo circuit is identical.

Triple Jim likes this.
  4. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Most Honored Senior Member

OK, you saved me verifying that on the schematics. :) I guess it's just small variations in components and maybe the tube that make mine behave differently. At the lowest rate setting, mine slows way down and the oscillator stops. If I turn it up from zero it starts like a Leslie but more gradually. My tremolo knobs are numbered differently though. Rate is lower right, and depth is what looks like a binding post just above it.

The three binding posts in their original HP 200CD location are bass, mid, and treble. Lower left knob is reverb. Gain is the big one and master volume is the knob that was originally the fine adjust knob just below it. The master volume is a Lar-Mar post phase inverter type and is effectively out of the circuit when all the way up.

photo004.jpg

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    Robins and Engine Swap like this.
  5. 93-Strat

93-Strat Strat-O-Master

That is an awesome looking little head. Yeah mine was almost non-existant on zero just seemed to ramp up too fast after 4.

Triple Jim likes this.