Princeton or Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Electgumbo, Jun 8, 2021.

Should I buy a Handwired Princeton or Deluxe?

Poll closed Jun 10, 2021.
  1. HW Princeton

15 vote(s)
    27.8%
  2. HW Deluxe

39 vote(s)
    72.2%
  1. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Silver Member

Truthfully, the SF Princeton I played was over 25 years ago, so maybe I heard it then but didn't care (or don't remember lol). What I have now --a 'boutique' Princeton-ish amp-- does not suffer from this problem.

2. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

Great choice :thumb:

3. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

I had both the 65 and 68 Princeton. Sold the 65 not so much because I thought it sucked but because my 65 DRRI just did everything better. Kept the 68 and put in a Rajun Cajun per @fezz parka 's recomendation and it sounds REALLY good.

Nate D and Daddypantz like this.
  4. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

I've never owned one.
    Once, a guy showed up at one of those Sunday night jam things that a friend hosted, with a hotrod-ed Princeton. Little bastard near blew the doors off. Absolutely zero in what I would call desirable tone quality, just a shrill shriek ala chalkboard fingernails at 200db...like the speaker had been made from a soup can.

He was asked to turn down. The rest was a blur of much yelling and threats of violence...and something about the drummer and a box fan.

Ah, Sunday night in the city. A good time was had by all! I blame it on the modified Princeton.

5. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth

@rolandson
    That reminds me of my buddies Princeton. The road trip to New Orleans and the night on Bourbon St. is another story but the mods he did to the little amp is another.

He cut the baffle to fit a 12” speaker and loaded a JBL in it. He torn the foam out of a couch cushion and stuffed the amp with it. Once the amp was fill he cut a panel to fully enclose the Lil’ Princeton.

I don’t know about tone but it was the most amazing lil amp I ever heard. That was his rig for years. Crank the amp and ride the volume on the guitar. It sounded great! Well that was a long time ago and what did we know. It just breathed fire. It was stolen along with his SG Custom for a house he had been jamming at. We was all heart broken….

6. RangerJay

RangerJay Strat-Talk Member

Suhr Hombre is awesome. No reverb, though. Not a problem with a pedal. Essentially a brown face Deluxe. Good bargain.

Electgumbo likes this.
  7. turfdoc

turfdoc Strat-Talk Member

the Deluxe handles spilled beer better.

Electgumbo likes this.
  8. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

Yeah I upgraded the speaker in my deluxe reverb and it’s killer. It was a really good amp before and now it’s just a GREAT amp.

I think that’s just it for me with Princetons- there are small amps that do the small amp thing better and the DR does everything better than the Princeton will do and do it at an easily gigable volume. I know lots of people love the Princeton reverbs, but for the things that I need/want out of an amp it doesn’t land anywhere close.

Outside of the Tweed circuits, the DR is my favorite amp with the Champ falling closely behind.

Antstrat and Seamus OReally like this.
  9. Daddypantz

Daddypantz Strat-Talker

I did the same, adding the Ragin’ Cajun to my ‘68. I am not saying the splatter sound was COMPLETELY removed, but it was a huge improvement! Great tone now and lots more versatility. Thanks Fezz!

Nate D and Antstrat like this.
  10. ripgtr

ripgtr Most Honored Senior Member

Can't say on the new ones but I think it would still apply.
    I did some recording recently with the studios '65 PR. No pedals, just plug in and go. It was great. But I couldn't gig with it, unless it was miced, and then you have to deal with guitar in the monitors, which I hate. And yes, I have gigged a princeton.
    My DR has been my main gigging amp for 20 years. I've had some other stuff I've used, but the DR never goes away.
    They both sound great, and have different applications, for me.

Tguitarfloyd and Nate D like this.
  11. ripgtr

ripgtr Most Honored Senior Member

One of the best sounding amps I ever played through was a brown Princeton. A brown Deluxe is also a great amp, as is a tweed deluxe. Don't know I've ever played a tweed princeton. Just recorded with a BF one (not through the 10 inch speaker though) and it sounded freakin' great.

I have a SF DR, have played plenty of BF ones, too.

They are both great amps and sound very different. Honestly, in the studio, I think I'd take a bf Princeton, but live, it ain't going to cut it, a DR is pretty much as low as I can go. Though I have gigged the tweed one a bunch, too.

12. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

The upper mid splatter is what makes a Princeton a Princeton. Without it wouldn't be that awesome and provide its awesome tone. Can be dialed in or out with tone controls on guitar and amp if not wanted but its what makes the amp pretty awesome and why I appreciate it. Just a great tone stack thats pretty unique and just awesome once dialed in.

Its just a matter of preference but both amps have their place and sound great IMO and it just depends on what a player is after.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    dalezjc and Tguitarfloyd like this.
  13. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

I put a Red Fang into my Deluxe Reverb while I had sent the original Oxford to (the current iteration of) Orange County Speaker to be reconed. Then I returned the original to service to properly break it in*... fully expecting to put the RF back into the DR because it sounded so nice.

Except...
    I don't know what those folks at (what is now called) Speaker Repair Pros of Garden Grove did exactly but...
    The Oxford, once broken in, sounds utterly amazing. Better than any Oxford has a right to.
    The RF is now being driven by a 5 Watt Booger. It doesn't seem to mind.

*the 'break in' consisted of about 15 hours over a couple-few months where the amp was placed inside an interior room surrounded by pillows (paying heed to airflow requirements) and played for about 45 minutes per session at varying volume levels.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    Nate D likes this.
  14. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Mr. Serious Gold Supporting Member

No, you can’t make that splatter go away by fiddling with anything. If you love a Princeton, fine, but don’t give me that “the defect is really a feature” malarkey.

rolandson and Nate D like this.
  15. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Well I could dial it out or in depending on preference so I don't know what to tell you and well yes it is specific to the tone stack of a Princeton and thats what makes them pretty awesome IMO. Its not easily replicated, unique tonestack and thats why they sound so good.

In comparison they are brighter than Deluxe Reverbs but they are just different and well some are going to like one over the other, does not mean one sucks and the other doesn't.

Tguitarfloyd likes this.
  16. Nate D

Yeah the red fang is just a great speaker. It’s what I have in mine. It came with a Celestion greenback but it didn’t have the depth that the red fang does. If I had an original Oxford like you do I’m sure it would have stayed put too.

rolandson likes this.
  17. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth

Well it’s all over but the crying. The nice lady Maria took my card number and it will leave Corona today!!!

Well I didn’t actually sell the Bluesbreaker yet. I actually sold a 60th Anniversary 54’ AVRI this week for $1800. So next week the Bluesbreaker may actually sell. I’ll take that money and get some thing else….

Any body want a Super Sonic 60 with foot switch, Tuki cover and casters… PM me…

CigBurn, Bladesg, bluejazzoid and 3 others like this.
  18. Nate D

I can’t wait to hear how you like it!

Electgumbo and The-Kid like this.
  19. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

The thing is, the original Oxford sucked. It always sucked. It had nothing; no bottom, no depth, no life, no anything. I think it was a Speaker just shoved into the amp because Fender needed something in there...it being a BF circa 1967...the transition year from black to silver cosmetics. I don't know when the AB763 circuit was discarded, fortunately this one still has it.

I only wanted to break the Oxford in as prep for eventual sale. I never expected it to sound so nice....?!?

Nate D and Electgumbo like this.
  20. Nate D

That’s awesome it’s a killer. How does it stack up to the red fang when you had it in there? I find the red fang has a big, but articulate sound to it.

rolandson likes this.