Protecting Bare Wood

archetype

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Nov 26, 2016
Western NY, USA
What type of wood?

If I were me I'd wipe on a couple of coats of very thin shelac. It seals the wood and down the road you can always give it a light scuff sanding and another coat or two to freshen it up. Clear shelac will very slightly darken the wood.

You can do similar things with lacquer, thinned wipe-on polyurethane, a penetrating finishing oil, etc.

crankmeister

Most Honored Senior Member
Jul 9, 2020
Republic of Gilead
^^^ I second shellac. Not from experience, because I’ve only ever used shellac and that was exactly once. But I like it and it’s basically organic and it doesn’t make the guitar look like it’s covered in a candy shell.

esharpe123

Strat-Talk Member
Mar 23, 2011
kansas
What type of wood?

If I were me I'd wipe on a couple of coats of very thin shelac. It seals the wood and down the road you can always give it a light scuff sanding and another coat or two to freshen it up. Clear shelac will very slightly darken the wood.

You can do similar things with lacquer, thinned wipe-on polyurethane, a penetrating finishing oil, etc.
Not sure about wood type. Its a Epiphone Firebird.

thegrasshopper

Strat-Talker
Mar 15, 2021
Spain
Here's the response I got some weeks ago from Fender. I was asking how they treat the bare wood on relic necks, so I take it as the "official" way to go...

"Thanks for reaching out! We will typically use one of two things depending on how you'd like the neck to feel. If you'd like a protective layer of finish, I would check out Emmett's Good Stuff. If you'd like to keep a more raw wood feel, we will typically use Tru Oil Gunstock on the back of the neck. I hope this helps!"

StratUp

Most Honored Senior Member
Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
Be aware that it might not be particularly good looking wood once you strip it. Epi's from the last couple decades are often veneer. The hide the edge by doing the sides of the guitar in a more solid color stain. The front and back will be translucent.

If it's an older model or one of the few special models, it may be solid wood.

Axis29

Strat-O-Master
Mar 9, 2007
Beaumont. California
Emmet's Good Stuff is an oil modified polyurethane. I love it, but it IS poly.

I love shellac!!!! It is one of my favorite guitar finishes. I did my Telecaster in it and it is beautiful, feels lovely and looks rich and beautiful. But, it will alter the look of the wood, and it is a finish.

If you really just want bare wood, and you want it smooth? Use Bowling Alley Wax. Any paste wax will work, but I find Bowling Alley Wax to be harder and last longer than many others. You used to be able to find it at most hardware stores. But, I was having trouble finding it on Home Depot's website just now...

Another product, I think is going to be more attractive than Emmet's is Odie's Oil. It is a natural hard wax/oil coating that is really nice and super easy to apply. Smells of lavender, feels silky smooth when it's done.

Odie's and Emmet's are not inexpensive, but they do go a looooong way.

3bolt79

Dr. Stratster
Oct 16, 2018
Oregon
OP witll notice an increase in how resonant the guitar is, if he just puts on a couple of thin coats of shellac. My classical is shellac finished. It really sings. Notes sustain for a long time.