Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

PRS custom SE 22 future new guitar day

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by nederemer, Nov 28, 2017.

1. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    Anyone have much experiece with one of these? Made in Korea, but that doesn't deter me. I have another Korean guitar that the quality on is astounding.

Bought an SG from sweetwater on black Friday. Special in faded cherry. It was a lemon. Fretboard had a gap where the neck overhang... loud hum grounding issue that went away when touching metal. Very disappointed in Gibson. For a new guitar they are really letting anything out of the door. It was beautiful but I'm not willing to overlook those issues - especially when the tech at sweetwater says the neck issue is common to gibsons. How can anyone stand that? It bugged the hell out of me!!

They offered to let me have this PRS at the same price. So that's pretty good. Hoping it's leaps and bounds above Gibson quality. Here's a picture of it - it's a Custom SE 22 in vintage burst.
    [​IMG]

2. billybuck

billybuck Strat-Talker

Feb 21, 2013
    Florida
    They’re great guitars. I’ve never had a custom 22, but have had a couple custom 24s. Solid build quality, and playability. I just couldn’t ever get a long with the wide thin neck profile. I prefer the wide fat profile on the PRS SEs. That being said I’ll think you’ll like it and I would consider it an upgrade from anything in Gibson’s faded series. So congrats, and I hope you enjoy the new axe.

nederemer likes this.

3. stratcpo

stratcpo Senior Stratmaster

Jan 19, 2010
    south texas USA
    I have an older one without the trim and it is a great guitar. Very well built guitar. ENJOY!!

nederemer likes this.

4. muf magician

muf magician Strat-Talker

Jan 10, 2015
    Texas
    We sell a lot of these and the only issue I see with any frequency worth mentioning are the nuts. For whatever reason I've seen a few that are cut high and cause squirrely intonation issues but it's easy and cheap to fix in the unlikely event yours has that issue. Otherwise they're great guitars, nice pups and the smoothest pots on the market.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    billybuck and nederemer like this.

5. 8T_BoCO

8T_BoCO Aspiring Stratospheric Stratitician Strat-Talk Supporter

Mar 2, 2016
    Colorado
    Neat finish & Happy NGD!

nederemer likes this.

6. Elvis v

Elvis v Strat-Talker

Apr 11, 2017
    My place.
    Congrats. I love the Santana SE. Why? Because every time I go to Walmart they have the greatest hits CD of Santana and the picture shows him playing the guitar. Sorry brain fart. I had to edit it.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    nederemer likes this.

7. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    Seemed like it was going to be good quality especially when I read they are checked by hand at the factory in Maryland before being sent to the retailing store.

Fedex shows it will be here tomorrow so well see!! I am excited!

8. m37a11

m37a11 Strat-Talk Member

May 16, 2017
    Colorado
    I have an SE custom 24. It's a fantastic guitar, it does have a very thin neck profile (especially compared to my American custom 24 ) which took me some getting used to.

I bought it used so it already had a graph tech nut, jb/jazz pickups, and locking tuners. Apparently the nut is the weak point of these guitars but that is a cheap easy upgrade doesn't the road if it needs it.

nederemer likes this.

9. Cesspit

Cesspit Strat-Talker

Sep 4, 2016
    Oxford England

10. Cesspit

Cesspit Strat-Talker

Sep 4, 2016
    Oxford England
    I have an older 22 SE custom. I needed a guitar with humbuckers and this knocked the pants off similar priced Gibsons. You won't regret it.

nederemer likes this.

11. elliotj26

elliotj26 Strat-Talk Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 21, 2017
    indiana
    I have an SE custom 24 and I love it. I'm trying to sell it but it pains me to get rid of it. It's much more comfortable than any MIM strat I've ever played.

Lo, I just bought a strat for traveling, to take it's place, and I have another much nicer HH PRS. I don't "need" it anymore.

nederemer likes this.

12. avri70

avri70 Strat-Talker

May 29, 2014
    planet earth
    I have an se one and its so comfortable that it became my number one practice guitar

nederemer likes this.

13. ryunker

ryunker Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2014
    Crystal Lake, Il
    During that same sale, I scored a "Standard 24 SE" in red, great guitar and really am a fan of the neck profile.

I had a SE 245, the neck profile was simply huge and when the new one arrive, same day the 245 went away.

I have tuning stability issues with the standard 24, have not had any time to dive into it to fix yet, but I am confident the problem won't be to difficult to fix.

nederemer likes this.

14. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    The first time I tried a PRS SE model - I thought it was 90 - 95% of the USA models for 1/4 the price.

I figured it was a fluke and tried another one and it was just as good.

nederemer likes this.

15. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    It came today.

Oh man.. it's so lovely. This is my first PRS and even though it's a budget model the quality is phenomenal. I would even say it is nearly as good as my American standard Stratocaster.

The setup put of the box was perfect. Action is sweet, no problems with the tuners at all or the nut, tremolo is very nice also.

For 599 I would buy this all day every day.

Attached Files:

billybuck and henderman like this.

16. ryunker

ryunker Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2014
    Crystal Lake, Il
    Same with my new standard 24. Except has issues staying in tune. Will look into that this weekend.

Happy New guitar day!

nederemer likes this.

17. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

The SE line up from PRS is probably the best damn guitar you can get in that price point. they are top notch guitars that put a lot of north american made instruments to shame.

its amazing.

imagine growing up and these are an option for you?

I was really excited to get my Epiphone G310 when I was in highschool.. for a similar price point you can get a prs SE now. amazing..

nederemer likes this.