Join Strat-Talk Today

Prs se standards

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by guitarface, Jun 18, 2016.

1. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

I played a couple of prs se standard guitars at a store today. Without a doubt, best $499 guitars I've played. Held their own with gibson's going up to 1500 bucks.

2. lonegroover

lonegroover Senior Stratmaster

I've had two US PRS guitars and I do miss one of them, I must admit. Quite tempted to acquire an SE as a sort of homage to it :)

Made in Indonesia now I believe and I'm told the quality is very high, but I've never tried one.

3. erikro

erikro Strat-Talk Member

Necks are too skinny for me

4. stratcpo

stratcpo Senior Stratmaster

All PRS SE necks are not the same. I have a couple SE's with wide fat necks that are a pretty good thickness. My Zack Meyers neck is almost as thick as my SG's fifty rounded profile. ENJOY!!!

5. Roncg41677

Roncg41677 Strat-O-Master

Just got my first SE a couple of weeks ago - a Custom 24. It is such fun to play, and it is just put together so well. Everything works. They are a steal.

Phillip McKnight on YouTube swears the guitars made at World Instruments in Korea will be as desirable in the future as older MIJ guitars are today. Judging by me SE I'd agree.

6. Roncg41677

7. balston11

balston11 Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

I have had two or three of these and enjoyed playing all of them a Santana a Santana 2 and Custom 22. Prices of these on UK Ebay are now ridiculously low. Great bargains to be had.

8. Pete McC

Pete McC Senior Stratmaster

I have a US Custom 24 and rarely play it as I dislike the tone, I bought a 2004 SE Tremonti off the bay for my daughter recently and it blew me away! the tone, the finish, the playability.. it beats every guitar I have for usability, pity it doesn't do strat tones... Tempted not to give it to her! lol

wildhawk likes this.
  9. scootercaster

scootercaster Strat-Talker

I toured with a second version Santana SE back in the early 2000s and loved it. When we later moved, I got rid of it but always regretted that decision. I recently bought another one and I'll never part with it. Extremely well built guitars. And very consistent. I paid $280 for this new one. Loaded her up with EMGs and she's good to go! image.jpeg

Namelyguitar and Roncg41677 like this.
  10. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I bought a used USA PRS CE model about 16 years ago and it is a dream to play. I did change the pickups, I thought they were horrible. Now it screams.

The first time I played a Custom 22 SE model I felt that I paid too much for the old USA model I have, it was 90 -95 % as good as my USA model out of the box for 1/2 the price, IMO.

11. bfcpig

bfcpig Strat-Talk Member

I've never owned or played the newer Indonesian SE Standards but I've had quite a few Korean SE's in the past.

I've now got a Korean SE 245 (black) and a Korean SE Custom (green) which I don't ever see me parting with.

I'm now looking to pick up a SE One and a SE Semi-Hollow - as balston11 said in an earlier post, these guitars can be found on Ebay UK at great prices.

The Korean SE's were very well made and very payable guitars and from what I've read on the internet and seen on YouTube, it seems the newer Standard range is equally well made.

12. Roncg41677

How do the Santanas compare with, say the Custom SE's? There are a couple locally for ~$200 and they looks sweet (not that I am thinking of buying one of them now, but down the road maybe).

13. Mandrax

Mandrax Senior Stratmaster

It depends on which version of the SE Santana it is. You'll find that the earlier ones have a diagonal block inlay across the fingerboard between each fret whereas the newer models have the bird inlays. Having played both I think that the quality of the newer models is a little better. That said, those earlier models can come cheap and they are still a lot of guitar for little money.

I own a PRS SE and a US model and they are both good guitars. The fact that my SE sees more play than any of my other guitars is a testament to their quality. Last year I was weighing up getting a new SE as the frets on my Singlecut were very well worn. In the end I just paid to get the Singlecut re-fretted as I couldn't bear to think of life without it.

14. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Damn yall. I am typically immune from GAS.

D

15. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

For your US 24 get a couple of tone caps in various sizes, unsolder one leg of the existing tone cap and use alligator clips to attach the other test caps.
    I've found I really like 0.033uF in the 200-400volt type of package (many use 'orange drop' but I have this pack of Eastern European light blue ex-military of similar construction I got off ebay that are great, $5 for 50); but you may find you like 0.022, 0.047, 0.068 better. Even if you swap the same value cap, the production tolerancing on them can be such the replacement is naturally different than what shipped with the guitar and may sound better. For caps the value is most important, not brand or type. Every time I open an Epiphone made in mythical Korea they have had 0.033uF caps...
    I've fixed my Santana SE this way as well as Epi SG, Fender Tele, Ibanez LP Artcore transforming them from 'meh, I should sell this guitar' into keepers. The electronics can push the resonant peak of the pickups around to better fit with your amp/system. If caps don't get the right sound, I start swapping volume pots or putting fixed resistors across the volume pot to alter their operation. Pots typically have +/-10% and caps have +/- 5% and are a lot cheaper than swapping pickups.

16. pwhite

pwhite Strat-O-Master

This was my latest SE purchase I have 2 but have owned 3 others in the past.

[​IMG]

17. gwjensen

gwjensen Senior Stratmaster

I have the Bernie Marsden SE with a "fat wide neck". I prefer a Gibson 60s profile, but it's still a fine player and very well made, except for the stock buckers, which sucked, so I changed them to Phat Cats. I should've changed the pots while I was at it as they have a very abrupt taper. Played it for the first time in a few months last night and really enjoyed it. Electronics aside, the SEs are great guitars for the money.

18. nicholas

nicholas Strat-Talker

Only PRS I've played was a couple SEs at guitar center. Was thoroughly disappointed. Maybe for the best, If I start gassing for an American PRS I'm out at least 1,500.

19. flynnstone

flynnstone Strat-O-Master

I played one for the first time the other day. One of the Zach Meyers semi hollow body I really liked it . I didn't plug it in but I thought it played awesome. Really tempted to pick one up . I thought the neck on this model was quite chunky . A lik chunkier than a standard strat neck a nice D

20. Pete McC

Pete McC Senior Stratmaster

I'm reluctant to start doing anything to it as I've had it since new in 1990 and never even taken the control cavity plate off, it's mint and I'm not in the frame of mind to keep it that way as an investment rather than a player, I've plenty of other guitars... :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.