PRS Silver Sky - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Nashvillecat, Nov 1, 2021.

1. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I’m not a fan. I don’t care for the headstock and John Mayer plays them. For those reasons I’m not interested in them. I’m sure they match other PRS models in their high level of QC consistency though. I’ll play my Tele instead.

EC Strat likes this.
  2. siegeld

siegeld Strat-Talk Member

I have tried and liked the Silver Sky, but I much prefer my PRS 305. It provides more of the organic PRS experience (including silky effortless playability) assisted by the neck-through-body, the feel is different than any other strat type guitar. It feels as though it is an extension of me, rather than me holding a guitar. It can cover any strat sound/tone being sought and can also handle extreme dirt/fuzz. They are a little hard to find, but often can be found for less than a silver sky. They are not made new anymore.

Scott Baxendale likes this.
  3. Tremdaddy

Tremdaddy Strat-Talk Member

Don't own one but every time I see Paul Jackson Jr. on TV with Ricky Minor for a tribute or awards show playing a Silver Sky he sounds like a million bucks. I own several Strats including some high end Fenders and a Suhr Classic Pro SSS. All have their place but I'd definitely consider a Silver Sky if I found the right one.

4. WelhavenT

WelhavenT Senior Stratmaster

Check out the neck. I have two guitars with 7.25 radius that I like, but I didn’t like the SS neck at all. Ended up playing a Fender Player Lead II instead :p

5. alitz

alitz Strat-Talk Member

I already had a 56 ThinSkin Reissue and I was looking for an early 60s strat with RW neck and early 60s pups to complete my Strat complement. In my search, I came across a SS for a great price on Reverb and after watching all the videos, both pro and con, the JM video where he explains the origins of this guitar, sold me on it. Then after I received it, I was completely enamored with this guitar. I didn't get a chance to play too many early 60s strats, but for the sound, it is spot on and then more. When I saw John play his for the first set of Dead and Co., this summer, I really heard what this guitar could be. Oh, and by the way, John plays his custom built PRS for the second set because I guess it does better with "Space/Drums.

6. Peter Williams

Peter Williams New Member!

For me, guitars are all about the neck and I love the SS. I'm not a Mayer fan and I really didn't like the idea of having his name on my guitar, but I picked one up about nine months ago and I couldn't leave without it. I like both the neck carve and the 7.25 radius. It's the perfect shape for me. Now it's my #1. I haven't even window shopped for another guitar since because it does what I want so well. Good luck finding the right one for you.

7. Jam125

Jam125 Strat-Talk Member

I wanted a 2019 PRS Silver Sky for a long time until was finally able to buy one in Dodgem Blue. I owned it for a number of months without any real complaints, but ended up selling it this past summer anyway – and I don’t regret it.

I pretty much agree with all of the positive things that have been said about it – the neck, pickups, tuners, feel, tone, playability, build quality, etc. The headstock wasn't an issue before buying it, but later it kind of bothered me - it just didn't seem right. However, I also owned 12 Fender Strats at the same time, and even though the SS played and sounded as good as, or better than most of them, it just didn’t have that special something that my favorite Fender Strats have.

Not sure I can put a finger on it, but my #1 (2,3,4) Strats all have whatever it is. I should also mention that as good as the pickups are on the SS, some of the p’ups I have sounded just a bit better to my ears. For example, Lollar Special Blondes, Suhr Michal Landau Standards, Fralin Split Blade Blues, and I could also include Fender Limited Edition Pure Vintage ’54s. Even the Fender CS ‘69s and 57/62s were nearly as good.

So is the PRS SS worth buying in my opinion? – Yes! But you might also find yourself just as happy or even happier if you find the right Fender Strat and pickups. If you can afford one and you don’t mind considering the possibility of selling it in the future, I would encourage you to buy (a used) one and determine for yourself if it’s a keeper.