Join Strat-Talk Today

PRS Silver Sky

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by Hudman_1, Aug 12, 2019.

1. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

There are a couple of reasons for the gig bag with the Silver Sky:

1. Mayer prefers gig bags - back when his Fender signature was first released it came with a MONO gigbag. It was only when MONO stopped making that specific model that Fender moved to a hard case with it.
    2. As others have mentioned PRS now doesn't do a hard case until you move up to the "Core" series - which start about $3,600. The current CEs (both solidbody and semihollow) come in gig bags as well.

Stratbats likes this.
  2. DeMelo

DeMelo Strat-Talker

This thread is practically begging for the obligatory joke:

If it was a real Stratocaster, it’d come with a hardshell case.

Stratbats likes this.
  3. Augustg

Augustg New Member!

Really love my SS. My primary guitar at this point. Neck feels great and the sound really keeps me playing. 58162731049__1260DD20-A90B-48A3-A4A9-F53A2E41BC19.jpg Here it is in Orion Green.

4. DeMelo

DeMelo Strat-Talker

How hot are those pups compared to regular Fender single coils?

5. Augustg

Augustg New Member!

Prob a little hotter than reg single coils. Not as much as the TX Specials I have on another Strat. They just really sound and feel a bit more "alive" than some of my Strats.

6. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Strat-Talk Supporter

I don't want to play one because I'm afraid I'd buy it lol. American PRS guitars are top notch. I loved my CE 24 and wish I didn't have to sell it.

Who cares what the internet thinks. It is a long forgotten controversy now anyways. Play what makes you happy. You have a gorgeous guitar there. Happy NGD!

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

BallisticSquid and Andrew Wasson like this.
  7. 79olympicwhite

79olympicwhite Strat-O-Master

Thank you

vid1900 likes this.
  8. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

I just CANT move past that headstock .....

CFFF likes this.
  9. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

6.4k when measured in that video,

10. Hudman_1

Hudman_1 Strat-Talker

I can’t speak for PRS. With that said, it’s a very nice gigbag. It seems like gigbags are the trend lately. I was in Nashville late last year. There is live music from 10 am to last call up and down The main strip. There was a constant stream of musicians walking from gigs and to gigs. Every guitar player I saw on the street was carrying their guitars in gigbags. I didn’t see a single case. Gigbags are lighter and smaller. Most have several storage pockets and backpack straps which leaves your hands free to carry your pedal board and a small amp.

Personally, I prefer a nice gigbag over a case because they are easier to store. My guitars hang on the wall. The cases and bags go in a closest. With that said, some gigbags cost more than cases. I paid $150 for one of mine.

Nate D and Stratbats like this.
  11. Hudman_1

Hudman_1 Strat-Talker

They’re not hot. I consider them to be medium output. They are well balanced, with scooped mods. They are closer to the strings than the Texas Specials on my Strat because they are better balanced tonally. This gives them nice volume. In comparison, I have my Texas Specials super low to tame the harshness of the trebles. I don’t have that issue with the Silver Sky even though the neck and middle pickups have very similar output as my Texas Specials (I believe TS are 6.2, 6.5 and 7.2). I don’t know what gives the PRS pickups their balance - the way they are wrapped, the magnets, wire used, tone pots, etc. I have no idea. They just sound awesome.

vid1900 likes this.
  12. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

I’m surprised Mayer prefers gig bags. He’s at a place in his career where he doesn’t carry his own gear.

vid1900 likes this.
  13. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Senior Stratmaster

That's just it, people who travel and gig regularly use bags, not cases. I specifically bought my Mono case/bag thing because I asked someone who regularly does flight gigs and often travels internationally and that's what he recommended. If you watch any of Rhett Shull's videos on YT, he recently did a London gig where he and his bandmate both flew with gig bags. I won't say nobody, but let's just say almost nobody under 40 years old seems to give a crap about hard cases anymore.

Now if you're John flipping Mayer and you've got something like 100 guitars that follow you around, yeah those go in massive flight cases with several guitars to a case and are probably being shipped freight anyway.

14. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Cool. Happy New Guitar Day.

When they first came out, I thought: “If I want a Strat, I’m going to buy a Strat, not a knockoff”...

Then I saw one at the local music shop. That changed my attitude pretty quick. What a nice guitar. I just needed to see one to realize that.

Hudman_1 likes this.
  15. DeMelo

DeMelo Strat-Talker

Believe me, this is the first time I see someone say they prefer bags to cases.

When you're an endorsed player or rich enough to own as many guitars as you please, well... then bag it is.

But I tell you, not willing to own the absolute truth: I love my guitars and would'nt risk a broken neck/headstock just for the comfort of using a bag.

Allow me to tell you this one story: My main guitar is a black stratocaster (the one in my avatar). I always carry it in one of those G&G Fender tweed cases, and if I have to hit the road or fly with it, I'll use a flight case. One time my drummer was helping me unload a van right before a gig, and he simply let go of the case from up in the van, it fell from his hands right into the ground, top first. I mean BANG!

I'll bet any amount of cash that if it were in a bag, the guitar wouldn't be in one piece after that. But there it was, safe and sound, though the case was quite damaged.

You want bags? You're more than welcome to use them. Me? No way. At least while I'm still a travelling player.

YMMV, of course...

vid1900, Andrew Wasson and Stratbats like this.
  16. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

I wanted to dislike it, but after playing one, I loved it. One of the best-playing, off-the-shelf guitars I've picked up, including my own 2000 PRS.
    I still dislike two things: 1) the reversed headstock on an S body; and 2) the gig bag for a $2,200 guitar.

But if I had a ton of extra money, I'd buy one.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  17. Hudman_1

Hudman_1 Strat-Talker

You can buy a case for it.

18. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

The Dodgem Blue looks sweet

[​IMG]

BlueCajun and Augustg like this.
  19. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

20. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat Strat-Talker

Those PRS Silver Sky guitars seem to be top notch. I've seen videos on them in the past and read some info. I never played one but from the reviews they are very comfortable to play on. Even though it's a Strat copy it's still a guitar in it's own right. I'm not a big John Mayer fan and never will be and I know he gets a big commission on this highly expensive guitar. My prized & lovely 1998 Fender American Standard Strat only cost me $1,100 that also included a Fender hard-shell case...I sure love my guitar to this day. I hope the OP enjoys his new Silver Sky guitar and maybe he can make a video on it.:)

Hudman_1 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.