Pulled the trigger on Watchtower Mojotone Speaker

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by The-Kid, Sep 21, 2019.

1. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Ordered one of these badboys from Mojotone. Its a Greenback special ordered from Celestion. These are the same designation G12C speakers found in the Vintage Modern cabs and Jimi Hendrix Marshall Cabs.

These are just like any other Greenback however they are modeled after a specific batch of speakers in the Marshalls Museum. This was a collaboration between Celestion and Marshall for the Jimi Hendrix Cabs and amps. These were also used for the Vintage Modern and when they went out of production Mojotone asked for a special order of these using the left over parts never used for further Vintage Modern production.....

Now that Im done with that.

Only reason I am ordering these is to repair my Vintage Club 50 Crate, both speakers are kicked in and need replacement.

Great amp and felt that if it sounded great with the stock speakers these will surely bring some extra magic to the amp.

Remember playing these back in 06 when I was sixteen through a Vintage modern cab.....I have to say these are amazing from memory and given the chance I am glad I am getting them to restore the old Vintage Club.

Will be ordering a second one next week. Highly recommend these as they are essentially a Greenback voiced to a specific batch in Marshalls Musuem and they are a great price at 110 Dollars......same magnet weight, coil, paper former just slightly tweaked for some extra mojo.

Just dont buy every last one....and wait for me to get my second one....lol

https://www.mojotone.com/Speakers_x/Mojotone_x/Mojotone-Watch-Tower-Speaker

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    JustABluesGuy and Jesse414 like this.
  2. Jesse414

Jesse414 Senior Stratmaster

Looks so cool and I bet it will sound great congratz:)

The-Kid likes this.
  3. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Yeah dope company too. Got it from their Reverb store online.

Asked for a discount ahead of my second purchase and they were happy to send me an offer within 24 hours.

Havent even received the speakers and I am already happy.

When all is said and done will be bagging two Greenbacks for 200$....pretty dope deal. Getting my second one for 90 bucks.

If you buy 4 at a time they knock it down to 80 a pop.

For anyone interested in 1, 2 or 4 of these. They are a great deal for sure.

vid1900 likes this.
  4. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Placing an order for the second set this morning, after I get some sleep.

Been playing for years and have never really gotten a feel for speakers until recently.

Always updgraded to stuff like Tone Tubbies or Eminences.....sound great....

But something about a genuine Celestion Greenback just hits the spot everytime with anything I play. Call me old fashioned, simple, basic.....

But nothing hits the spot like a Greenback speaker. After playing the G12H30, Vintage 30, BLue, Creambacks etc etc this is a speaker that I will always
    cherish cuz it really brings out the qualities I want from both my amp and my guitar.

Going back, I always cherished those Greenbacks in the Vintage Modern Cab, those have always been the standard from memory and the reason I love em so much. So glad I am getting these, have been satisfied with current production but these WatchTower Greenbacks are sure going to be a blast from the past and sound mighty tasty once I install them and get some air moving in the old Vintage CLub Fifty.

5. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

OH lord....FIrst speaker came in. Now I read on other forums that these were indeed the G12C speaker.

G12C is pretty much a G12M Greenback but voiced a little bit different for the Jimi Hendrix and Vintage Modern cabs, same coil, same magnet weight, same twenty five watts but treated a bit different in the doping process to profile a specific batch of Greenbacks in Marshalls Vault in colloboration with Celestion.

Now that I have this first one in and waiting on the second one I can confirm that these are indeed the G12C Greenback variant and are even labeled as so on the side, further more yes these even have the same cone as the G12M Greenback Celestion.

Pics
    And a pic of a g12c and g12M Greenback for refrence

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

7. BlacknBlue

BlacknBlue Strat-O-Master

So how does it sound? Your seriously making me thing of getting a pair of these for a 2x12 empty cab I just bought.

Nick-O and The-Kid like this.
  8. TepidPilot

TepidPilot Strat-O-Master

Wow! Until now I had no idea that Jehova's Witnesses made guitar speakers.

TP

9. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Think every good thing you atrribute to a Greenback but a bit better. Havent used these yet but from memmory playing the Vintage Modern Cab when I was younger.....

More lows, smooth highs, solid mids.

Crunchiest crunch, grainy OD in a good way, woody highs, spanking cleans etc etc.

As said this is a Greenback just slightly different. Same wattage, same weight, same paper former just doped a bit different for a bit more mojo.

As said these are the same modified Greenbacks found in the Marshall Jimi Hendrix and Vintage Modern cabs. Genuine Celestion.

I think if you buy two at a time you can get them for 90$ a pop. So youll get two Greenbacks for 180$ vs getting a standard reissue for 125-135 and paying 250-270$ for the pair.

Pretty damn good deal IMO.

10. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

They're currently $109.99 each, with no discount if you buy two. At least that's what I saw when I put two in my cart at Mojotone. Maybe if you call and beg a little...

The-Kid likes this.
  11. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

@BlacknBlue

Yeah make sure to buy through their Reverb Store and make an offer for both speakers.

Mention you got a recomendation from a friend who also purchased some.

Pretty good dudes and got a response within 24 hours.

12. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Oh as said yeah call and mention your buying two.

Or use their Reverb store and make an offer, they reply within 24 hours.

Mention you got a friends recomendation and I bet they will be more than willing to abide :)

Triple Jim likes this.
  13. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Also @Triple Jim

Looking at getting some tubes. Probably going Viva tubes.....know any other reputable online tube sellers?

14. Triple Jim

I think any tubes I've bought recently have come from Tube Depot. I don't go for fancy things like matched output tubes when I'm buying for a guitar amp. The even order distortion from small mismatches is not a bad thing.

Edit: I did get a couple from Antique Electronic Supply (tubesandmore.com) and things went smoothly.

The-Kid likes this.
  15. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

Thanks good to know.

Vivatubes has good prices but are a bit newer on the scene.

Ganna compare and contrast with your recomendations. Thanks man!!

Aside from new speakers also going to get a full set of 4 preamp and 4 power amp tubes for renovating the amp.

16. Triple Jim

I forgot who @heltershelton gets his tubes from. He had a good, honest source too. I'll have to check out Vivatubes.

The-Kid likes this.
  17. SILENCER

SILENCER Strat-Talker

Get yourself some new glass and these speakers will HOWL!

As for bottles, I just dropped a matched set and I mean a full set - of JJ tubes from Eurotubes into a 2004 Triple rec. Those cats were great. Made a custom set for me, based on what I wanted to get out of the head.

E34L, GZ34, and EC883 variants. Holy smokes, that amp is completely different now. It's not exactly Marshall-like, but a lot of that Mesa stiffness (great for Sabbath type stuff) has been rolled off. Sounds awesome, especially channel 2 and channel 1. Channel 3 is still the ravenous bastard child of Chernobyl, burning your skin off as grizzlies feast upon your liver, so some things reamained constant.

I may have to snag four of these and load one of the cabs. Good idea.

The-Kid likes this.
  18. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Silver Member

Tubedepot i i believe.

The-Kid and Triple Jim like this.
  19. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

The second one came in and the sticker was a bit uneven over the rim of the magnet.....

Found a little surprise comfirming that this once and for all is the same speaker found in the Vintage Modern and Jimi Hendrix cab. Great find and exquisite speakers right here.

Amazing speaker, amazing bargain.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster

These are great speakers and I highly recomend one if one wants to upgrade their current 112 like a Deluxe Reverb or a Blues Junior to get a smoother crunchier tone.

Great price and essentially a slightly modified Greenback.