1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Pure vintage '59 pickups

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Aapekrul, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Aapekrul

Aapekrul Strat-Talk Member

Hey strat talk, it's been a while since I've posted here. I'm wondering if anyone has tried the Fender pure vintage '59 pickups, and what you think about them. I'm thinking about getting some to put in my 2013 MIM strat, and I'm curious to see what others think about these pups. If anyone has any suggestions about other pickups I'd love to hear them too! I'm looking for a warm, clear sound with a little bit of punch. Thanks in advance!

2. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

I love my PV 56 pups. They sound glassy and jangly without being shrill and the string separation is excellent. I don't seem to get a lot of the strat quack in positions 2 and 4 though.

I think the PV 59's sound a bit fatter and maybe a bit more compressed but still very similar to the 56's. I think that you can't go wrong with any pups in the PV series.

3. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

A lot of people here have the 59 strats so they will chime in. I prefer the 65 pure vintage set, they're to me the perfect strat pickups.

sgarnett likes this.
  4. Scarecrow937

Scarecrow937 Strat-Talker

I have a VHR that has a PV56, PV59 and a PV65. All these pickups are great, however the PV59 is my favorite pickup I've ever played. Very warm, yet still articulate.

Nuno, Swany and guitarchaeologist like this.
  5. GoodGolly

GoodGolly Strat-O-Master

I have them in a classic series 50s strat. I like them a lot. I think it's a very vintage strat sound, mellower than the original pickups on the guitar and more articulate. A little boomy in the bass if you set them high. I would say punchy, but some may mean that to be brighter. I believe the 65s or CS 69s would give you more zing if that's what you're after.

6. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Senior Stratmaster

The '59 pickups are the main reason my Strat leapfrogged the PRS Cu24 as my #1 guitar.

I pull creamy, smooth, 'bucker-beating sounds out of the bridge pickup. On a Strat!

Lord have mercy

TubeStack, macoshark, Nuno and 3 others like this.
  7. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Senior Stratmaster

I've a set of PV '65's. Great pickups. I recon the entire series can't be bad, whether it's '59, '65, ect...

8. guitarman1984

guitarman1984 Senior Stratmaster

Agreed.....

9. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Senior Stratmaster

I have an AV '59 and it's one of my favorite guitars. As far as Fender pickups go, the AV '59 has turned out to be my favorite set. I've played the AV '65, AVRI '62, AV 56, Fat 50s, N3s, N4s, etc. and the AV '59 is about as good as it gets for me. YMMV.

Like someone else said, I too had to lower the bass side a little more than usual but man, once you get that balance right they sound great.

macoshark likes this.
  10. Funkuncle

Funkuncle Strat-Talker

I have a 59 and a 65. I love em both. The 65s are perhaps a little more chimey. There's a good comparison video on YouTube from guitarist magazine comparing all 3 vintage reissues. You'll see the difference is subtle.

11. Aapekrul

Aapekrul Strat-Talk Member

Yes I think I've seen that or another similar video. To my ears the 65's sound just a little hotter. Maybe I should just go play some myself to decide.

12. Nuno

Nuno Strat-Talk Member

PV59 are nice pickups, note definition and vintage flavoured all day long. Nice dc reading consistency around 5.9 as the box says. They sound articulated and bright without being ear piercing.
    I put them in a 54 reissue old cij strat and I think it works great, but I found the necessity of putting something a tinny bit stronger on the bridge so I used a duncan ssl-1 rwrp I had laying around (about dc. 6.3 to 6.5) and sounded a bit better balanced.
    Pickup height makes a world of difference.
    I play blues on a professional envoirment and this works great for me.

13. Morgenholz

Morgenholz Strat-Talker

I played them all and decided that the '59 was a perfect balance sound-wise; so much so, that instead of buying a '59, I sold my mint AVRIs and bought the '56 in ash and the '65 to enjoy the "extremes." If I could only own one, however, it would be the '59.

Nuno likes this.
  14. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Senior Stratmaster

I own several 59 reissue Strats that have these pickups in them stock.They sound very 'brown' and old school.They are not the jangliest and most transparent Strat pickups...they have a more earthy quality to them.They are certainly the warmest Strat pickups I have and the bridge position pickup is really versatile as a result because of none of the piercing harshness you can sometimes encounter with other Strat bridge pickups.Although they are smooth they still have enough midrange to cut through the mix when playing in a live band context.

15. Nuno

Nuno Strat-Talk Member

16. dogletnoir

dogletnoir V----V

LIGHTS ON

Those are Fender Pure Vintage '59s in that Strat...
    it's a great sounding low output
    vintage style pickup set imo.
    Tight and focused, clean or dirty.

Nuno likes this.
  17. macoshark

macoshark Strat-O-Master

Good thread. thanks

18. dogletnoir

dogletnoir V----V

Another track with the PV59 equipped strat:
    DEBS

19. Single Malt

Single Malt Strat-Talker

For several years and in several Strats I used the PV'59s. Excellent pickup, especially for the price. I'm a big fan of the warm, woody, articulate sound they offer. Then several months ago I purchased the Klein Epic '59 set. Still has that SRV flavor but more of everything. More of that woody, present, chunk like you hear on SRV's Little Wing with the TS on. More clarity and articulation. Just a higher performing '59 all around. They FEEL more like I wanted a '59 pickup to feel. The harmonics are right, they scream when you dig in, and are sweet when you roll it back or pick more gently. CANNOT say enough about them.

20. darrenr75

darrenr75 Strat-Talk Member

I’ve got a 2005 mim strat, and changed to PV 59s and the change in sound is enormous. You know when a guitar not only sounds “right” but I plays and flows right as well!! Feels like it’s almost playing itself, very weird.

I’ve got a classic vibe telecaster with stock in the bridge (who makes these pickups?) and a Seymour Duncan quarter pounder in the neck. Life has made me wait until I’m 44 before I’ve got the tone I’ve always wanted.

Seymour Duncan likes this.