Purger or Hoarder

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by davidd47, May 26, 2021.

Purger or Hoarder

1. Purger

20 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. Hoarder

30 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Neither

20 vote(s)
    26.7%
  4. Mind your own business

5 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. davidd47

davidd47 Strat-Talker

Yes another thread to make you contemplate your actions as a mammal living on this planet with limited resources.

I had been guilty of hoarding for many years but now hold purging and a minimalist lifestyle in high regard.

Give us some insight on why you think either is ok or not ok.

This does relate to guitars and equipment and can go in any direction you want it to.

When I was hoarding I always gave myself the " I have earned it/I can afford it/Was poor as a kid" excuse.

It consumes a large amount of your time with maintenance and thoughts of modding.

I was always an organized hoarder so I think that helped with the obsession.

Now it's the nagging thought, if you ain't playing it or using it, find a new home for it.

So I now have to start my painful yet very necessary quest to get down to 6 guitars. I know, 1st world problems.

LP, 335, Strat (2-3?) Tele (1-2?) Parker Fly (travel guitar) Acoustic. These don't count.

He who dies with the most guitars wins?

Or, you really don't need more than one guitar.

Your vote counts and keep it civil it's not the hoarders against the purgers.

Cerb likes this.
  2. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

Hoarder, I have trouble letting stuff go even when it has been in the closet for years.

The upside when I do finally push back on that urge, it feels so good to give stuff away.

Stephen James and CB91710 like this.
  3. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

I tend to purge and replace periodically but do hold on to ones I really bond with.

4. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

Hoard until I get ticked of it then purge everything. Start over.

dirocyn, 3bolt79, Stratbats and 2 others like this.
  5. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Silver Member

Oh I'm definitely a purger and I'm OK with that. I'm not a minimalist but I don't like clutter either. Other than a couple of sentimental items, my cd and vinyl collection, and stuff I know for sure 'll be using again within a year, I figure if I need it again, I'd rather just go out and re-buy it rather than trying to find a storage location for it. Drives my wife nuts if she can't find anything because she automatically assumes I just threw it away.

As for guitar stuff, the same philosophy applies. I usually don't keep anything I don't use. This has led me to buy, sell and rebuy a few of the same pedals over and over again.

6. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member

I used to have 18 guitars

Now I have 20.

Wife walks into my office where they're all lined up "your guitars look pretty"

Kevin1.jpg

Last edited: May 26, 2021
  7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I accumulate very slowly and carefully. What I have accumulated stays accumulated.

Dadocaster, Neil.C, Mr_10awg and 5 others like this.
  8. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Both....
    And
    All sins above...
    (Ya never know when you'll need one)

Then 1825 days pass

Mrs. Stares from 30 feet away....
    Hey Indian it's time, Get you &ss in gear...
    Your not a Beaver
    Mush
    Mush....

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  9. fos1

fos1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

My wife definitely thinks I'm a hoarder. Why do you need more than one guitar? (But she is a kind person and tolerates my guitar hobby.) My other hoarding hobby is electronic projects. The active electronic projects have dwindled to two or three but I just can't purge the books or old, finished projects!

I have four electric guitars, each with a purpose that I play regularly: a MIA Strat, an Ibanez RG, an SG copy, and a no name parts strat type that I'm putting a new Warmoth neck on today to replace the old worn out neck (it is my everyday player). I have a Ibanez Gio "starter" guitar in the closet (my first in what I call senior citizen time). It is not very good and not even worth giving away. I have two acoustic guitars: a Godin Seagull that plays wonderfully and one of those thin body plastic (aerospace material ;) ) guitars. They are in the closet and don't get used much.

My Deering banjo is on the wall. I LOVE my banjo but have trouble playing it due to arthritis in my right thumb. The banjo will always have prominent wall space.

If I were younger, I would have several more guitars, one of each!!!

thomquietwolf and Andrew Wasson like this.
  10. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Very much the same story here. Guitars and Electronics (vintage computer and tube amplifiers) but I've also got a slight motorcycle problem as well. My wife is very accomodating and I have given away a substantial pile of NOS electronics parts that I had collected over the years.

I gave away one guitar that is currently back for a tune up. Little do they know it's getting locking tuners and a new floating bridge while it's here :whistling:

I refused a cast off guitar from a budy of mine last year and instead fixed it up and returned it to him better than it had ever been.

BUT...

I have been averaging about one newly acquired guitar a year for several years. I am now at one acoustic, one Jazz Bass, three strats, one telecaster, one Ibanez AM100, two Ibanez AS100. I've also got the parts for two more telecaster shaped guitars.

There's only one guitar I would cast off in the lot and even then I would replace it with another on my wish list. I'd still like to get a late-80's - early-90's Strat Plus or a CP50's in shoreline gold. I'd also like an Ibanez JEM or a JS1000.

fos1 and Stephen James like this.
  11. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

12. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Strat-O-Master

I have about 10 guitars now, counting my trusty Jazz Bass. I am trying to sell three, but I don't want to ship, so it's a long process.

I don't buy guitars anymore. I like to build them. I have been getting good results, and I definitely have been playing my builds a lot more than the "store bought" ones.

So long story short, the collection grows slowly.

fos1 likes this.
  13. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

I'm a recovering hoarder who is now a purger. Since the wife and I downsized everything to fit into a small NYC apartment, we realized we didn't need much of the stuff we saved. We're now back in a proper house but we continue to live small. The general rule is when something new comes in, something old must go out. Thus far we've been keeping close to that rule.

As for guitars, I have only 3 guitars remaining (technically 4 but one is unplayable at present) and that's more than enough. I may get more at some point but for now I just continue to play what I have.

14. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Senior Stratmaster

I have way more than I need. 5 guitars and 5 amps. I haven't got that many pedals though. Probably a hoarder.

15. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

Pretty much what @Thrup'ny Bit said, I’m careful about my purchases and only buy stuff that I plan to keep for the long haul. One of the primary reasons is because I view selling stuff, and having to meet up with some stranger or box up and ship a guitar, as a pain in the ass.

Neil.C, Mr_10awg, fos1 and 1 other person like this.
  16. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris Silver Member

ive moved so much over the past 10 years that ive gotten rid of a bunch of stuff. its easier to deal with.

17. RL21980

RL21980 Strat-O-Master

Reformed hoarder. Allstar purger these days. Much happier.

Andrew Wasson and Morf2540 like this.
  18. grumpah

grumpah Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

More of a purger at this point in life...

It took a number of purchased Strats and partscasters to find 'The One' that I enjoy looking at as much as I enjoy playing it. It has a sister that I will keep but the rest of the herd will eventually be culled.

It only took 40+ sets [5 purchased and 35 or so sets of home wound] pickups to find the set that sound best in The One. I haven't figured out what to do with the cast offs yet.

I am now trying to find 'The Amp' so I will, no doubt, end up with a half dozen or more purchased and / or home built units before I find it. Only The Shadow knows what I will do with the units that don't make the cut.

fos1 likes this.
  19. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

If I'm not using something for a good long time, I cycle it out.

Except for my V, which I never play but is existentially cool.

Blackmore Fan and Andrew Wasson like this.
  20. Malurkey

Malurkey Senior Stratmaster

More is, well, more! :thumb: