Purple - Made in Japan

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Michael919, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Michael919

Michael919 Most Honored Senior Member

One of the greatest live albums ever made, yet I hadn't listened to it in years. I have many memories of listening to it everywhere on my Walkman as a teen.

It came to mind tonight and I put on the buds and hit play (2014 version).

WTF? Why is Ritchie on the left??? How come I never noticed that before? Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention as a teen to where Blackmore was on stage. Maybe it was because it was a cassette and the photos were too small to bother spending time looking at.

(Side note: young people, there was this time before the internet when musicians were surrounded by great mystery. Photos and stories and pretty much everything we could know about them were limited to albums, posters and mags (and concerts if you were lucky. The music was the medium, much more so than today.)

Anyway, a can of worms was opened with this observation. While being blown away with listening to MIJ again, with digital clarity, I hit Google on the topic of swapped stereo channels. The original version and apparently this 2014 version have the guitar and keys reversed, while some other mixes "correct" it apparently.

Get this. Here's the thing, as Yngwie like's to say (and I wouldn't doubt if he stole that from Ritchie too), there's more to it.....

Listen to the drums carefully. Paice is a left handed drummer, so his high-hat is on his right. On the recording the high-hat is right center. The drums are reversed too. Everything is reversed.....

You are listening to the concert from behind the band, or from their perspective looking out towards the audience.

Deliberate or not, suddenly it makes listening to Ritchie on the "wrong side" VERY COOL.

Back to "Strange Kind of Woman"......

CX0k_VdUAAEiPfk.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2021
    Mouse, joe_cpwe, StratMike10 and 7 others like this.
  2. Michael919

I was certain that there were a few Deep Purple fans around here! Either this is old news to them and they are being gentle or this realization has them checking their versions. :thumb:

If the former? New DP topic then: What's with the guys behind Ritchie's amps? Are they holding them up because Ritchie keeps hitting his guitar into them? Maybe they are adjusting the dials real time. :thumbd::D

In any event, that would have been a very cool place to be.

henge, joe_cpwe and StratoMutt like this.
  3. Tone Quest

Tone Quest Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I still have the Made In Japan album by Deep Purple.

Michael919 and StratoMutt like this.
  4. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

My first Deep Purple album. Such great memories associated with hearing it at various times.

I'd be afraid to get the 2014 version as it may have been remastered LOUD as is the SOP for the past several years.

Stereo? I convert digital music to mono as I have but one functional ear.

Michael919 likes this.
  5. pookie613

pookie613 Strat-O-Master

Yep, the stereo image of "Made in Japan" is reversed from the "Live in Japan" 3 CD album-- I've listened to it since '72 or '73 because the high school band played a few songs off of it, but it never occurred to me. (It's easy to flip headphones.)

For what it's worth, playing left of the crash cymbal on a cramped stage is a great way to abuse your hearing. (Fortunately, it does heal as your hearing declines from old age. :))

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    Michael919 likes this.
  6. pookie613

pookie613 Strat-O-Master

Since we're doing old Deep Purple, some of RB's solos on the first 3 albums (with the funky singer) are incredible and so inventive; both for his precise playing, unusual note choice, and his use of wah-wah & whammy bar. It's fun to revisit those after listening to "In Rock".

Michael919 likes this.
  7. pookie613

pookie613 Strat-O-Master

And here's some unusual Ritchie Blackmore work from "In Rock":

Speed King- solo starts at 2:50

Into The Fire- (not a great song, but cool solo starts at 1:48)

Michael919 likes this.
  8. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Most Honored Senior Member

According to the net he is left handed and has a left handed drum setup so that explains the Hi-Hat being to his right.

The quoted statement above confused me as every right handed drum set and drummer I know has it to their left..

9. pookie613

pookie613 Strat-O-Master

Likewise; all the drummers I've played with had their high hat to the left of the snare, with the crash cymbal above it. Never really thought about their handedness.

Jimi Lightning likes this.
  10. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

I like MIJ, great album no doubt. But I'm a little odd in that I like Made in Europe, the original, not the expanded version. Burn and You Fool No One are just smoking hot

11. pookie613

pookie613 Strat-O-Master

It's funny that you should mention that because I've been giving away our collection of LPs to a friend who appreciates them-- last week's batch included all my Deep Purple LPs (including "Made in Japan"), so technically I don't own it anymore. I felt it necessary to apologize for all the Deep Purple albums that only a guitarist could love...

Tone Quest likes this.
  12. Jimi Lightning

13. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

Sorry I'm late to the party .... just seen the conversation you started with me about it.

Paicey is left handed without a doubt.

I'm trying to remember if I can recall the vinyl I had in my youth and how it was orientated but it's beyond me. I've a couple of versions on CD as well as the box of all three full concerts that Made In Japan is culled from. I must pull them out and see how they compare.

What I do know is whichever way it might be mixed on whatever version I'm listening to it's still the best 'live' music I've ever heard.

Michael919 and Jimi Lightning like this.
  14. Michael919

Yes, as I said, his high-hat is on HIS right. That means to the audience and in the stereo recording, it should be left-center in the mix.

It isn't. It is right-center and reversed just like the guitar and keys.

The mix is an accidental reversal of the channels (unlikely, I'd think) or intentionally mixed to be from the perspective of the band, looking out at the audience.

15. Jimi Lightning

Your original posts was clear and easy to understand.:)

The error was you indicated that it was on his right as he is right handed and therefore thats were his hi-hat would be placed on his right.. He is using a left handed kit. That is what I was pointing out.
    The whole mix thing is a different point.

16. Michael919

Darn! Sorry about that. I can't edit it any longer either. I'll see if a mod can edit it.

Thanks!

Edit: Thank you mods! The original post is fixed.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    Jimi Lightning likes this.
  17. Jimi Lightning

For the vinyl fans (the superior format :)) there is a gatefold version and a non gatefold version of this record. I have both versions as DP fan and vinyl collector…..;)

Michael919 likes this.