Push In Tremolo- Wilkinson

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Namelyguitar, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

The black part has been forced on. It has split since it's pushed on too far/ smaller than the bar.

Where to order the part, and how should it function/ tighten with the Wilky push in bar?

Anyone?
    513DAEF0-E7A5-4C68-8934-6D554547B2B0.jpeg E43BFDAD-1B0E-4E1D-9DEC-3ABFCEB29DE9.jpeg

2. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

Not sure how the Wilkinson stuff functions but if its loose in the trem block you could build it up with heat shrink tubing.

3. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy CERTIFIED HACK Silver Member

Well that’s just weird. The plastic insert is supposed to be anchored in the bridge. You can see the recessed concave ring near the top of the plastic insert where the threaded set screw is supposed to gently tighten it so that the arm pushes in and stays where you want at just the right pressure. I really don’t think it would come out normally even if you took the set screw out. When you push in the bar it seems like it just ends and it doesn’t go any further. So how it could be forced down further is beyond me, unless it fell out somehow and was forced upwards onto the arm somehow completely out of the bridge. You’re saying the plastic piece is now actually cracked? Well that’s not good… not sure how you would get another plastic insert. The only thing I could recommend is emailing Reverend and asking them if they sell that part. They sell the arms (2 styles) so there’s a chance. I have 3 Wilkenson trems in of course 3 Reverends of mine, they seem super well built.

Here’s 2 pics showing the arm in and out with the recessed plastic piece flush
    BDCDD72E-45FF-4261-8193-80ED7A9B4EF9.jpeg D5DF9FE9-C3BC-4026-A9B1-E08DD5299ECE.jpeg

4. rockon1

rockon1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

The arm screws into the bridge. Adjust the height where you like then adjust the tension with the small set screw.

OP- I'd have to see it better. Cant see the crack in the picture. Near the top it may be slotted from pics Ive googled.

5. Deafsoundguy

On my 3, the arm just pushes on. There are no threads. You push it in and it just stops at a certain point. Maybe the OP can clear that up

6. rockon1

I also have three of them . Two VS100 and one VS50. On both the VS50 and VS100 there are threaded holes in the bottom of the arm where it goes in. They thread into a bolt (threaded stud) in the block.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    EC Strat likes this.
  7. StratorTrle

StratorTrle Strat-Talk Member

8. Namelyguitar

The arm is jammed into the plastic piece. I'll see about getting the two separated without any further surprises. I know the plastic part is supposed to live inside the bridge.

Will my electronic caliper measure the whammy bar size as the correct whammy bar for this bridge?

It appears that several years ago, I needed to turn the screw to add tension, and not knowing about this step, I pushed in with pressure for a proper fit. There was still light tension after my blunder, and I pulled the whammy out as you see it. See 2 photos.

0E410ABF-D968-43BC-A30A-00037199D862.jpeg C1A743BE-74EB-4E08-90F8-66C9AC6F630D.jpeg

ukoldgit likes this.
  9. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

I will bet my next pint that's the wrong size bar, if you can take the plastic off the bar take a look at the end, it may have had the thread sawn off from standard strat screw in.

10. Namelyguitar

Thanks everyone! It's working with proper tension. :) The parts are working with the tension screw. (Plastic piece remains stuck on the bar, and inserted in the hole.)

It's time for tremolo!!!

11. rockon1

Dont know about you guys VS trems but all mine screw in.

Pic of the bottom of the bar. Perhaps they upgraded them along the way? Mine are relatively new -last couple years.

20210713_160158_resized.jpg

Namelyguitar and EC Strat like this.
  12. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Yes VS trems pop-in initially and then it screws in from there. There’s a threaded piece that you can actually remove from the bottom of the trem block with a hex key. It screws in AFTER you pop the arm in. It threw me off too at first. I popped the arm in and I couldn’t get it back out. Unscrewed the tension screw all the way and still nothing. Had to fiddle with it to figure out what was going on.

Namelyguitar likes this.
  13. rockon1

You just push the arm in then screw it (clockwise) down to the desired height -like you would with a fender style arm.Not sure why anyone would mess with anything from the bottom.

Its a great design- more support and it should be screwed in at least 3-4 turns imo.

Namelyguitar and EC Strat like this.
  14. Fenderbaum

Fenderbaum Strat-O-Master

Looks to me that you forced a 6mm arm in that one..
    Wilkinson uses 5mm.

If you need a new bushing, try contact Kate Wilkinson at Wilkinson Direct | Reverb

She is a very helpful lady..

Namelyguitar and rockon1 like this.
  15. rockon1

Good point- it does look a little beefy but perspective is hard to gauge. Looking closely I dont see a threaded hole in the bottom of it from the first pic either

Namelyguitar likes this.
  16. Deafsoundguy

Haha! I never knew there were threads there! :oops: Mine just fit so perfect just stuck on there I just thought that’s the way it’s supposed to be? Not really sure why you’d need a threaded rod since it works so well just stuck in there but I guess everyone has their own deal o_O.

rockon1 and Namelyguitar like this.
  17. rockon1

Yeah its a well designed set up. Its anchored at the bottom for better support and allows for hieght adjustment.