putting down cigarettes

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by heltershelton, Sep 6, 2021.

1. =KARMA=

=KARMA= Senior Stratmaster

2. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

I can't do the test because I already avoid sugar. But again, I'm not disagreeing on weight gain/loss.

What I'm saying is that saturated fats are clogging your arteries and that's a heart issue - and heart issues are the leading cause of death in the USA. Strictly limiting saturated fats will greatly improve, or at least avoid additionally endangering, heart health.

3. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

If fats were the issue keto concepts would never work and people would gain weight but on the contrary..they do and people lose weight....people have heart problems in the us cause they are obese in large numbers and they are obese cause they eat all that sugar...its obvious the heart cant really take that load...

ZlurkCorzDog and StratMike10 like this.
  4. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris Silver Member

over 42% are now obese. that is an insane number.

ZlurkCorzDog and Dreamdancer like this.
  5. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

Indeed it is...

6. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I started smoking cigarettes at about age 15, and quit cold-turkey at age 23. You might say I entered the age of personal responsibility...to myself and others. I congratulate you for making the decision to quit and hope you can stick to it. I like the smell of a cigar, from a distance, but I hate the taste. If I smoke a cigar on Friday, the horrible after- taste will stay in my throat the entire weekend. "If you smoke cigars, you have 4 to 10 times the risk of dying from oral, laryngeal, or esophageal cancers compared to a nonsmoker. Cigar smoke contains higher levels of cancer-causing nitrosamines than cigarette smoke. There's more cancer-causing tar in cigars than cigarettes."

7. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Quitter! :sneaky:

Seriously though, it's a hard one I'm struggling with right now.

It's stress that activates the need more than anything for me.

8. Slacker G

Slacker G Strat-O-Master

Think about the tobacco execs that are driving the nice car you paid for all by yourself, or the guitars you could have had that they are playing. Sucks doesn't it.

Textele likes this.
  9. Jeepocaster

Jeepocaster Senior Stratmaster

I quit at age 38 after a BIG OLE heart attack. So yeah, 21 years ago now.

stratocarlster likes this.
  10. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog INMATE #7XX7XX7

Back to the front topic. Started early teens on the cigarettes. Stopped around 19 the same time I started a herb. Started smoking a pipe 2 or 3 years later, (tobacco) while still doing the herb. Had a job in a redline flammable area. Had to step outside the line to fire up & it was more convenient to use cigarettes. Fell back on them another ten years. Not one to start & stop at will like some. I then passed 40 & quit both the cigarettes & herb. Not wanting to return to the cigarettes ever again as I was starting to age.
    I was in a pharmacy a few months later & found myself wanting a cigar. Said to self, no, wait a year so as not to fall back on the cigarettes. Stuck with it. From that point on it was occasional with like Backwoods smokes & such.
    Fast forward a few more years & I started on real cigar's. Still do. Used to do about three a day but average about one now. I believe they have helped keep me away from cigarettes. And I don't inhale, intentionally. It happens by accident on occasion. Better than with every draw on the others. Having tryed a huge variety through the years, good ones can be had for a lower buck price.
    If you want more details or any tips on picking a reasonably priced good smoke, shoot me a pm if you wish.

pazman6 and heltershelton like this.
  11. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Too bad for tobacco smokers they don’t have edible cigarettes? I switched from smoking many blunts a day to just edibles and couldn’t be happier about it.

I was never into smoking tobacco, except one band I was in in the 1980’s had a gig ritual where we bought swisher sweets and smoked those during the set onstage, of course you could smoke in bars back then. It was funny.

in Colorado they sell CDB cigarettes which are used for smokers to quit tobacco. These are filter tip cigarettes and look exactly like a Winston except the paper it’s in is green. These don’t have THC so they don’t get you high but they do have a calming effect from the CDB and people say they have quit smoking using these. They also the smoke doesn’t smell as bad as tobacco or linger in your clothes forever.

circles likes this.
  12. Boyd L

Boyd L Strat-Talker

Too easy.
    May 26, 1990 was the day of my last cigarette. Smoked for 11 years. 2 packs a day. When I calculated that I could pay my house off 9 years sooner by taking the money I spent on Marlboro Reds and Winston Lights (ah....) and applying it to my mortgage.
    Too easy.

13. heltershelton

im just using cigars as a sort of pacifier....ive got nicotine patches on the way. i really dont want half my face cut off, although it might be an improvement.

Baelzebub and circles like this.
  14. heltershelton

UPDATE
    so, its been exactly 2 weeks since i made this thread.
    still havent touched a cigarette and still have 13 out of the 20 cigars i bought. 2 of the 7 i gave to a friend.
    i think these patches are really helping because i havent even thought about buying a pack of smokes.
    so, @BobTheBuilder, how you holdin up?

15. elduderinoTF

elduderinoTF Sweatin' Bullets

What patches? I really need to stop dippin'.

16. heltershelton

nicotine patches. you can buy them over the counter.

Baelzebub likes this.
  17. heltershelton

18. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

So far so good
    I lost the patch off my arm sometime today
    Don't know when
    Started really jonesin for a smoke about 4:00.
    Said f it + took a couple pulls off the bowl
    ...it was a little after that I realized the patch wasn't on me anymore.

19. Justin226

Justin226 Senior Stratmaster

Good job, guys!!

20. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

Yeah..that racket's been going on forever. When I worked in the Colliseum building in NYC, in the 1970's there was a PR guy who used to bring cartons of smuggled cigs around to the office and sell them at a significant discount even off the then comparatively low prices.

Taxes and bureaucracy will always create black markets. The black market for weed is thriving in CA.