Putting weight on a strat

Lonn

Mod Admin
Staff member
Jul 6, 2014
Carmel IN
I’ve posted many times about the serious light weight of my latest green partscaster. I really love the looks of it and I love the sound of it but when I pull it off the wall it feels like I’m just picking up a neck lol. I thought about swapping out bodies but now I’m really thinking about just getting some type of metal plate to screw onto the back of it to add some weight. Maybe a lead trem cavity cover? Ideas? Telling me to not worry about it and play it is not an idea.

Lonn

Mod Admin
Staff member
Jul 6, 2014
Carmel IN
I’m actually considering moving this loaded guard over to it. Between the metal guard and mini humbuckers it’s got some weight. It’ll need more though. Already has a big trem block. Just remembered when I looked at it this morning it’s got the thinnest neck plate I’ve ever seen. I have thicker ones…..

93A74B23-14BA-433D-9680-3742B1939CFE.jpeg

Higgins1980

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 11, 2013
North Carolina
I’ve posted many times about the serious light weight of my latest green partscaster. I really love the looks of it and I love the sound of it but when I pull it off the wall it feels like I’m just picking up a neck lol. I thought about swapping out bodies but now I’m really thinking about just getting some type of metal plate to screw onto the back of it to add some weight. Maybe a lead trem cavity cover? Ideas? Telling me to not worry about it and play it is not an idea.
Why is a light weight guitar an issue? Seems like it would be nice for long jam sessions.

Nokie

Strat-O-Master
Jul 31, 2018
Alright, I won't tell you to not worry about it and just play it. Instead, I will tell you not to play it and put it away until you've hit your 60's and can appreciate the light weight. In the mean time, look for a late 70's Strat - they were quite heavy.

Torvald

Senior Stratmaster
May 3, 2019
Northwest
The lead trem cover is probably your best idea but it seems like it would have to be about 1/4" thick to add noticeable weight. Routing out a chunk of the body and replacing it with a piece of metal would work but hardly seems worth it.

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
I’m actually considering moving this loaded guard over to it. Between the metal guard and mini humbuckers it’s got some weight. It’ll need more though. Already has a big trem block. Just remembered when I looked at it this morning it’s got the thinnest neck plate I’ve ever seen. I have thicker ones…..

View attachment 544759
I personally have never picked up a guitar that I liked and wished it was heavier but each to their own.

Do you have any metal working friends?

You could adapt this idea to your Strat.
IMG_8539_1200x1200.JPG
From the neck plate morphed into cavity cover.

Last edited:

TepidPilot

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 26, 2019
South Central Texas
I haven't weighed it but man I wish my Strat was lighter. Too many years thumpin' a Peavey T40 that sounded great but was bleepin' heavy! Now I need a back replacement. Oy.

I envy you your lightweight Strat. 🤢

TP

golfnut

Strat-Talker
Feb 14, 2018
Canada
Geez I wouldn't want to mod my guitar with ugly add-ons simply to make it heavier, even if the added weight didn't bother me.
Are you losing muscle mass and need more challenge? You could join a gym. My MIM road worn is just a bit over 5 pounds and I admit for the first while it felt weird when I lifted it off the wall hanger.
A light guitar most likely will never have a downside where as a heavy guitar potentially may.
One thing you might try though, if you block your trem you could use a heavy solid metal block. If you use your trem that recommend is useless.

Higgins1980

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 11, 2013
North Carolina
I personally have never picked up a guitar that I liked and wished it was heavier but each to their own.

Do you have any metal working friends?

You could adapt this idea to your Strat.
View attachment 544767
From the neck plate morphed into cavity cover.

I really like that back mounted p90. 😁