Pyramid Schemes

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by El_Pistolero, May 23, 2019.

1. El_Pistolero

El_Pistolero Strat-O-Master

This happened a little bit ago but didn't much feel like posting about it till now. So I'm out with a couple friends at a local brewery and decide it's time to call a ride home. I might have had one pint more than I usually do on a night out and I mistakenly type in the pickup location as my destination. This caused some confusion with the driver, but as soon as he found out I spoke Spanish, he seemed more willing to help out, and said it was no problem to drive me home for the rate I had been charged since it was no more than 5 minutes.

I guess at this point he figured I owed him one and didn't waste much time before getting straight to his pitch. Starts talking about a "business opportunity" and making up to X amount each month, and how the more "involved" you are the more money you make. He's got a little booklet and everything, flipping through the pages (he's driving, mind you). Immediate red flag when you start touting a successful business without saying a word about the product or service that it actually provides... I probably should have told him to put the booklet down while driving, but I was occupied with processing the fact that this guy was really trying to recruit me for a pyramid scheme during a 5 minute car ride! He invites me to come to one of their "meetings", gives me his business card and I leave with some vague words and a thanks for the ride.

So I tell my friend about this the next day and while he thinks it's funny, he tells me that it's fairly common. Sees it all the time with people posting about the "businesses" they are involved in on Facebook. I don't use facebook, so this is a surprise to me. Are these kinds of things really semi-common? I thought people knew to watch out for pyramid schemes...oh well. Between this and the robocalls it just irks me that people are out there just to scam random people.

What the hell does this gave to do with a guitar forum? Well my partscater needed a shim so now half of that guy's business card is sitting under the neck heel....

2. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Do it or screw it.

"May I speak to you about Amway products and a money-making opportunity for you and your family?"

Noooooooooooo!!!!!!

jaybones, 3bolt79, duzie and 5 others like this.
  3. Yaralag

Yaralag Senior Stratmaster

You should have asked him why a successful business man is driving an Uber!

rafasounds, 3bolt79, vid1900 and 7 others like this.
  4. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

I worked with a guy more than a couple decades ago and he was into Amway in a BIG way.... this guy had the stereotypical used-car salesman look, moustache, dresscode etc.. but drove a busted arse mazda B1600 van painted with a roller in hazard yellow, falling apart, he never bought any clothes, lived in a flat in a dubious part of the inner-city and was repreatedly telling me about these people who had made it to "diamond".

Obviously it was working for him..... not.

Well I put up with that **** in my ear on and off for about 4.5 years, and one day he didn't come into work.
    No, there was no diamond. He'd come back from the phillipines with his new wife (20yrs younger) and was working Amway still, when I saw him about a year later.

no idea what he's doing now. For his sake (or rather, his wife's) I hope he "made it". Or he's sold the flat and van and migrated back to Phillipines with his wife, where the $ goes a little further.

5. El_Pistolero

El_Pistolero Strat-O-Master

I decided to do a little digging on pyramid schemes and Amway kept popping up! Yeesh even the name sounds sketchy. Like some generic-ass company name that turns out to be the bad guy in a cheap 90's action film.

3bolt79, abnormaltoy and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  6. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

I've maintained an attitude, guided by the conviction that when any of these pyramid schemes get around to soliciting me, they're largely tapped out.

Many years ago, an acquaintance repeatedly invited me to "a party". I politely declined...day after day. Finally, being polite fool, I relented.

Arriving at a rather expensive home in an affluent neighborhood I was greeted by a fellow who asked me to sign a form stating that I wasn't law enforcement. I scribbled something like "Queen Mary" and went in...

To find people giving wads of cash to each other...announcing that it was "a gift" each time it changed hands. The buy in was $1000. My acquaintance was desperate. He couldn't recruit a sucker. He bought in and couldn't buy his way up the ladder.

Years later I saw him again. He was selling "investment opportunities" to elderly widows. He was thinking of going into politics .

vlxerdon, JB74, montemerrick and 3 others like this.
  7. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

I know some people that are involved in businesses that involve marketing to friends and family and social media contacts but that aren't outright scams and do sell a legitimate product. They're becoming a little more common. They have some of those shady sales trappings, but like I said, the point is to sell product, not sign up new salespeople.

3bolt79 and abnormaltoy like this.
  8. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Strat-Talker

It’s not semi-common....it’s extremely common

3bolt79 and abnormaltoy like this.
  9. tery

tery Dr. Stratster

If you bought a Pyramid I have a bridge in Brooklyn that you might be interested in ?

JB74, 3bolt79, rafasounds and 4 others like this.
  10. nungesser

nungesser crash into your windshield of love

after you get five people under/selling for you, you will be a sales manager and then when you get ten people selling for you that makes you an international sales manager, I reply "great, but you don't sell internationally" and talking over me and when you get fifteen people selling for you...

abnormaltoy likes this.
  11. GuitarMechanic

GuitarMechanic Most Honored Senior Member

I almost got roped in to some of those through job sites such as Indeed, so be careful

abnormaltoy likes this.
  12. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth draggin' knuckle breather Silver Member

Uber is his recruitment...vehicle.

13. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I know a couple people who've made pretty good coin out of multi level marketing, but they understand that what you're selling is the lower tiers, not the product. Its essentially the same business structure as traditional organised crime family. Its a broadly successful model for those who understand how it works. You have to have a pretty faulty moral compass though. We always call Amway, Scamway...

Most franchise businesses are a waste of time for the franchisee, your just buying job, if your the franchisor though it can be well worthwhile.

JB74, mjark, circles and 1 other person like this.
  14. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

Amway, PartyLite Candles, UndercoverWear Lingerie, Herbalife; they all got their ways to hook you into "Just signing up 5 of your friends; but only those friends who need to make over $100,000 a year from home...."

When you fail, it's because you did not buy enough "Motivational DVDs" or attending enough meetings.

JB74 and rafasounds like this.
  15. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

Amway. My hospital where I worked bought Amway powdered laundry detergent to clean the respiratory equipment from one of the Rat's who was selling it. Some of the ventilator circuit parts and ambu bags were reusable. Cleaned and pasteurized.
    Community hospital. I know conflict of interest. Fact is the Amway cleaner was the cheapest that we could find.

These days everybody uses disposable equipment wherever possible.

abnormaltoy and JB74 like this.
  16. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

Got any oceanfront property in Arizona?

abnormaltoy, JB74 and tery like this.
  17. CephasG

CephasG Senior Stratmaster

Very smooth transition to lutherie :D. Good use for that business card.

El_Pistolero, abnormaltoy and 3bolt79 like this.
  18. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster

"Hello, I'm here for the free carpet cleaning you signed up for.

Oh this? This wonderful machine is the Kirby G6..."

Tried hawking those for a couple weeks. Sold one to my mother for their B&B ($600 my cost!)- business expense and could write off depreciation.

Sold another, generation earlier (no commission on those "discounted models"), for only $500.

That's a total pyramid. I buy it from the guy above me, who buys it from guy above him, above him to the owner of the office everyone was working from.

That guy was probably buying them from the guy above him for a third of what I paid for.

And when I went back to college to finally finish as a 23 year old sophomore. All my friends were from classes and mostly sophomores 19 or 20.

One of them had a hot idea to make money, he even called it a "pyramid", without the scheme.

Asked me to get involved, I told him NO WAY!

Anyway he got a couple of our circle to buy in ($25), but they hadn't gotten the people they needed to get paid ($100, 6 people under them- the first 2 they passed that money up a level).

Caused some bad feelings, some got their initial payments back (at least in part).

abnormaltoy and Paperback Rocker like this.
  19. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

Who built the pyramids in the first place?

They were found by bedouins, claimed as theirs, and no one bats an eye. There's no real records left behind. I support the claim that they were constructed by dinosaurs that got stoned one day and built them as a way to mess with people in the far distant future.

abnormaltoy and 3bolt79 like this.
  20. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

Once my mother's oncologist and surgeon asked me if I was interested in becoming a Herbalife vendor. He had a huge Herbalife button on his shirt. I declined in the most polite way I could, and his face looked as if he was almost embarassed to have asked. He eventually stopped using that huge Herbalife button.