Q: Best amp for low volume playing

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by fmunoz, Apr 3, 2013.

1. fmunoz

fmunoz Strat-O-Master

What would be your suggestions on the best amp for low volume? no restrictions, I plan to use it mostly with a brand new MIM strat. I currently have a Champion 600 RI with a jensen speaker and upgraded grill cloth, sounds great, but it sounds much better when cranked up.
    Looks and compact size are a bonus.

My priorities:

1) Clean sound
    2) Blues like overdrive (SRV on texas flood).

Thanks,

2. mw13068

mw13068 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Fender Mustang I

3. OptimalG33

OptimalG33 Strat-Talk Member

Blackstar HT-1R

4. nhsdpl

nhsdpl Senior Stratmaster

Micro Cube.

Cheers.

5. adamsx

adamsx Strat-O-Master

The Yamaha THR line are great.. I own a THR-5 which sits on my desk right next to my PC and its a rockin amp. Also great iPod/Music player. It's not tube, but the clean channel is modeled after a Twin Reverb and it sounds very fenderish. The onboard effects are also amazing.

I used to own a Vox AC4 but even on the 1/4 watt setting I couldn't get it to breakup without being too loud. If even a 0.25watt is too loud whats next ? lol.. I think solid state is the way to go for a true "bedroom" amp.. as in the whole house is sleeping and I'm playing blues volume. THR is great for that... as are the Roland Cubes.. and most solid state amps

6. Astro1176

Astro1176 Senior Stratmaster

Microcube or one of the little Vox modelling amps

7. blasphemoustrat

blasphemoustrat Most Honored Senior Member

Vox lil night train or traynor dark horse. The dark horse is nice because it has a 15/1 switch so when you have a sound you like, you can switch and still use it for gigging..

8. xoso

xoso Senior Stratmaster

I honestly don't know why you're not happy with your Champ. Just add a reverb and an OD pedal and it's good for just about anything at low volume home levels. You've already done the Jensen speaker upograde which makes a huge improvement - If you haven't already done so, swap out the tubes from the crappy Chinese stock ones they come with and you'll have something thats hard to beat.

9. Trajan

Trajan Strat-Talk Member

I use an Orange Micro Crush with my MIM Strat. Sits on my desk neatly, good value and doesn't upset the neighbours :)

10. Nickdsmith

Nickdsmith RIP

+1 I've got a THR10c and it is brilliant, plus it works as an interface to your computer for recording, and the models in the 10c are really really good.

11. DickyMoe

DickyMoe Strat-O-Master

+1

Some decent tubes, OD pedal and some verb.

12. Gburst

Gburst Senior Stratmaster

Tweed Blues,Jr. Very nice cleans and dirties up pretty nice without a pedal.

13. adamsx

adamsx Strat-O-Master

lol blues junior @ 15 tube watts

14. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

Anyone have any thoughts on the Fender Frontman 25R, the Peavey Envoy, the Fender Champion 110? I've come across "deals" on each of them, and am not sure which to pull the trigger on?

15. bluesy groover

bluesy groover Strat-Talker

Blues Jr. or Princeton Reverb. Both great at low V.

16. AmericanSun

AmericanSun Strat-O-Master

+1000

The new "version 2" Mustang I has an amp model called "Studio Preamp" which is just the Mustang amp itself with no amp model "coloration". Great for recording into your computer.

A new Mustang I is my go to amp right now since I recently sold my house and moved into an apartment temporarily.

Another hint is to use the FUSE sofware and tweak things. Most of the built in presets have strange effects activated as well as noise gates and compressors. You can turn all that off in the FUSE software.

Also, once in the FUSE software, I find that turning up the tube bias setting and getting rid of the emulated speaker cabinets stuff improves the tone quite a bit. I thought the Princeton setting sucked until I set the cab emulation to "no cab". It got rid of the stuffy sound and put the highs back in the sound.

Another cool setting to make for yourself is a plain Champ or 57 deluxe with no other effects (except reverb for me). Once it is setup correctly, you can dial in the gain with the knobs on the amp to go from clean to crunchy without having to be attached to the computer. It's like a decent $100 '57 Champ at that point.

17. Gburst

Gburst Senior Stratmaster

Sounds great to me at bedroom levels. Beauty part of it is that you can also do small gigs with it.

18. fmunoz

fmunoz Strat-O-Master

I love it, but to my ears it's sounds so much better after 6-7 volume. I did upgrade the tubes to JJ's and the speaker and grill cloth upgrade did wonders. I use a TS OD, a fender spring reverb pedal and a MXR compressor pedal.

19. Michael A.

Michael A. Strat-Talker

Vox Pathfinder. The current version PF15R is discontinued now, but you can find new old stock at $120 on a web search. Since you have a reverb pedal already, you could even look for a used PF15 (no onboard reverb). Great sounding little amp with great cleans and nice grit once the gain is at 11 oclock or higher. I just picked up my second one of these for $45 on CL. See the 100+ page thread on TDPRI Amp Club forum to read all about them and hear some clips. You won't be disappointed.

20. tomoff

tomoff Strat-Talk Member

When it's too late to use the Blues Jr even on a low volume I switch to my little Vox Mini 3 ($99) and a pair of headphones. I can dial in most any sound I need but I tend to stay more on the clean side with a bit of reverb. The little amp sounds pretty darn good through the speaker and you can run a line in if you want some backing track sounds. A solid state modeling amp is perfect for delivering great sound at any volume level. Fender Mustangs, Vox VT's, Roland Cubes, Line 6 Jam are all great choices to consider.