Quack question 57/62's

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Dana Rudd, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Senior Stratmaster

I purchased and installed a Fender SSS 57/62 loaded pickguard for my MIM Standard.

I have not been able to dial in any quack in the 2 or 4 positions. I'm new to Strats so not really sure if I'm doing it right. Set up the neck pickup first, then the bridge to equalize output. Have been up and down with the middle pickup and seem to be going nowhere.

Can some of you tell me how you set up yours, I'd appreciate all the help I can get.

By the way my Squier CV-50 came new with great sounding quack and I'm trying to get close to that sound.

Thanks

2. dreamingstrat

dreamingstrat Strat-Talker

Have you tried measuring the heights of the pickups on the CV and replicating that on the loaded pg?

also set the treble side of the pickup higher making it at an angle

3. Antstrat

Antstrat Dr. Stratster

I'm a bit puzzled, they should quack on 2 & 4 without needing any dialing in.

Can you explain what kind of sound you are currently getting?

hrstrat57 likes this.
  4. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

That's puzzling.

- Do you know if they're really a Fender 57/62 set?
    - If they are, do you know if they're a Fender replament set or a Classic Player 50s set? The CP50s has an RWRP middle and might not quack as much.

I assume it's a set up issue. Lower the bass side of the neck pickup, dial in height for balanced tone with no evil overtones at the 12th fret and above. Do the same with the middle pickup, match volume to the neck pickup. Do the same for the bridge pickup, match volume to the other two pickups.

In that state, the quack you get on 2 and 4 is the quack you get when the pickups are dialed in for balanced sound. If you use only 2 and 4, drop the middle pickup down to flush with the pickguard and then raise it if you need to.

The Squire CV 50s pickups might be a tiny bit brighter, but the 57/62 is many people's gold standard for classic, Stratty tone and all that entails.

Impulsive guppy and hrstrat57 like this.
  5. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

We need some audio for this

FireFunkRevival likes this.
  6. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Strat-Talker

They should quack huge.

Did you take pics OP of the install?

Agree strong with above CV pups are bright but lowering a lot helps…

Pics of everything might help solve the mystery.

7. guitarman1984

guitarman1984 Senior Stratmaster

Pics and sound test would help.

nickmsmith likes this.
  8. Impulsive guppy

Impulsive guppy Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

9. sjtalon

sjtalon Senior Stratmaster

Right on about tilting the treble side up.

Also set them real low, like almost level with the pickguard.

10. bam-boozle

bam-boozle Strat-Talk Member

Heights aside, they should quack in 2 and 4. That’s odd

11. Antstrat

Antstrat Dr. Stratster

JKjr and Impulsive guppy like this.
  12. Mr_Lahey

Mr_Lahey Strat-Talker

I also have a set of 57/62s installed on my strat (bought the loaded pickguard used but I think it's a factory with - positions 2 and 4 definitely have a different quality than the three single-pickup positions, but I'm not really sure what a "quack" should sound like. perhaps I'll poke around YT...

13. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Quack is all about unequal pickup bobbin strengths in parallel.

Easiest is lower all pickups level to the pickguard and raise the bridge pickup until volume parity to the neck pickup when switching back and forth. That tends to also give the 'sweetest' tones in the 1,3,5 switch positions too.

You can tip the pickups opposite ways: raise the bass side on the bridge, raise the treble side on the middle pickup. You can usually keep the neck pickup level or raise it's bass side (but then it may be too much bass for the neck pickup).

Humbuckers can Quack when the bobbins are switched in parallel if you lower the pickup to the trim ring and raise the screw poles 1/8th to 3/16ths inch. On a neck humbucker I usually set the screw poles in a traditional Strat Stagger pattern. But unequal bobbin output strength helps with this.

Squier Strat pickups used to get wound with the same kohm/number of windings as MIA Strats then used ceramic magnets for more output to drive amps harder for the Metal players. but a few years ago they started winding them with fewer kohms/windings so the stronger ceramic magnet paired with them gives lower output equivalent to the weaker alnico magnet MIA pickups. These newer Squier pickups tend to Quack a lot easier. I've seen as low as 4kohm bobbins vs typical MIA 6kohm. This method gives a better signal to noise ratio and is the same technique Leo Fender used on his G&L MIA pickups he developed after selling Fender to CBS.

14. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

They will quack a little more if the middle pickup is NOT RWRP. It's all about how MUCH of that tone the OP is looking for.

15. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Senior Stratmaster

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it.

Purchased the loaded pickguard directly from Fender.

I'm going to switch to a different amp set for clean and see if will bring out the quack. Then run the setup again.

It sounds as if I'm doing it correctly, maybe making to large of adjustments.

Will advise of results.