Quad of CTS alNiCos

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by JustABluesGuy, Mar 8, 2018.

1. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Senior Stratmaster

I just bought a pretty clean, original cone, quad of Fender labelled 10” CTS alNiCos, freshly pulled from a ‘74 Super Reverb!

I’ve been looking for a set of these for a while, and fortunately, the seller was looking for a more modern sound, so we made a deal.

I paid $250 +shipping for them! I’ve seen them going for a lot more, so I’m a pretty happy camper!

2. JustABluesGuy

Here are a couple of group photos the seller sent.

5166C135-A4FD-48B4-B51B-D453AFEF945C.jpeg B05F4DE5-E4B2-44EF-9C35-2398BDADE105.jpeg

3. Stevem

Stevem Senior Stratmaster

Nice find there, and they have the perfered seamed cone also!
    Just keep in mind that these Babies still have paper voice coil formers so do not pump more then 20 watts RMS into them individually if you want to keep them alive!

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  4. JustABluesGuy

Thanks! I am aware that they can't handle a lot of watts. I won’t be using these with my higher wattage amps!

5. JustABluesGuy

They finally arrived today, and WOW! They sound really nice! I can’t believe I lucked out and found such a good deal.

They all seem to be in very good shape. They are hardly even dusty! They are also a matched set, with all of them being produced the 19th week of ‘74 as well.

I am surprised the guy didn't hold out and find someone restoring a super. I really don’t care enough about the labels or the matching dates, to pay a premium but apparently a lot of folk will pay a good bit extra for such matched sets.

heltershelton and ryapou like this.
  6. candyapple1964

candyapple1964 Senior Stratmaster

I have these in my 72 super reverb, original. The guy that took em out has made an error of judgement and you have really scored.

Pretty sure its these that make my 72 sr the best fender amp I ever had ;)

7. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris

man....what a score! will you be using them all in the same cab?

8. JustABluesGuy

Yeah, its all about the speakers, and I told even him I couldn’t offer top dollar either. I gave him every opportunity to back out or name his price.

I am convinced that it’s the speakers that make the amp. He’s going to have a Super that is louder and has better bass response, but it’s no longer going to sound like a Super.

9. JustABluesGuy

Thanks, I feel very lucky (right place, right time and all that). I have a pair of 2x10 cabs that I have them installed in. I will not hesitate to use both cabs together though.

I’m tempted to either buy an empty 4x10 cab for them, or at least a third 2x10, since the CTSs bumped a nice pair of Eminence 1028ALPS from one of the cabs!

heltershelton likes this.
  10. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris

i think i like the 2 2x10 thing the best.....that way you can place them how you like them, or just use one if you want if 2 cabs are overkill.

11. JustABluesGuy

Yeah, 2 cabs are more versatile, and I like versatility. They are lighter as well, and my old back definitely likes lighter!

heltershelton likes this.