Quality Issues

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Nocevets, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Nocevets

Nocevets Strat-Talk Member

I just recieved my new FSR player strat from Andertons online store and am really appauled at the sub standard finishing of the guitar and wondered if anyone else has recently encountered a drop in standards? Fender guitars have always been my instruments of choice since my first MIJ E series in 1984, I own several now including a player series telecaster I purchased last year and was blown away by the quality. It seemed a no brainer when the elctron green strat appeared in the UK recently. On unboxing the jack plug nut was loose and the internals bent so badly the lead didn't make contact and just fell out the socket, the nut was coverd in glue and the slots were badly cut and ragged cusing pinging when bending the top three strings, the saddle had not been addjusted but the worst offender was the fret ends which were protruding razor sharp and rough-really nasty. I was able to sort everything with a couple of hours work but shouldnt have had to. Anybody recieving this guitar without the means to carry out the work would either have had to pay additional costs or return the instrument. I would like to think there has just been an oversight with quality assurance but as yet Fender have not responded to my comments. Was I just unlucky?

2. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

Even if I had the skills I would have returned/exchanged it. I'll work on a used guitar but a new one shouldn't need that level of attention.

Triple Jim, chas3rd, ChrisD and 3 others like this.
  3. Rbert0005

Rbert0005 Strat-Talker

I would like to help, but I can’t get thru that wall of text you posted.

A few paragraphs may help.

Bob

4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

My last new fender purchase wasn’t faulty, but it was uninspiring. I would not buy it again. If it’s not good, return it.

Stratafied likes this.
  5. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

You should’ve taken pictures immediately, showed them and returned it, new shouldn’t require that much work.

larry72941, jtoomuch, fos1 and 3 others like this.
  6. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

Fret ends I can understand, still annoying but half the fenders I pick up off the wall have sharp fret ends at my local shops. You can usually get it addressed if buying in store prior. Online different story.

However the loose jack and poorly cut nut should’ve all be kinda done at the factory. These days you really don’t know what you’re going to get right out of the box.

fos1, Cyberi4n and SonOfLerome like this.
  7. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Most Honored Senior Member

Sharp fret ends I can see happening (due to different climates), but the jack being bent is pretty crappy.

fos1 likes this.
  8. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

The nut was covered in glue?

9. beerbelly

beerbelly Strat-Talker

I don't understand why you chose to keep it & fix it rather than return it.

larry72941, CtStrat, fos1 and 5 others like this.
  10. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I would have sent is straight back.

larry72941, fos1, Neil.C and 2 others like this.
  11. dirocyn

dirocyn Most Honored Senior Member

If it's as bad as you say, it should have gone straight back. The description makes me wonder if it was a Fender at all. Or if FSR means some kind of reject.

larry72941 and Baelzebub like this.
  12. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

I bought a cheapo (new in box) Squier PJ bass which had serious fret sprout, bad nut, garbage pots etc $329 I think.
    I had fun screwing around with it as a project and it actually plays ok now. Anything more expensive, I would return.
    TBH I've got 3 Strats and none had any issues when I bought them. 78 Hardtail, EC, Elite

13. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

Should have sent it straight back.

There's no incentive for Fender QC if people are fixing their new guitars themselves.

14. Monkey

Monkey Strat-Talker

Send the guitar back, this is not what you paid for.

fos1 likes this.
  15. Nocevets

Nocevets Strat-Talk Member

Yeah under normal circumstances I would have returned the guitar without hesitation. I'd been holding off for a new strat until I found the colour I wanted and this was it and the last one available. Anderson's offered to fix tbf but impatience forced my hand to do it myself. It's all good now but I was really pissed off at the time.

16. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Most Honored Senior Member

Generally the Mexican Fenders are excellent in terms of build quality...with a tweak of a set-up they play really well.But yeah occaisionally you will encounter one with less than perfect workmanship.I have encountered a few that had sharp fret ends or frets that weren't properly levelled and some notes choke out but the vast majority of them are great.Always try before you buy when possible and if you are ordering then make sure you can send it back if dissatisfied.

StratGuy4692 likes this.
  17. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Strat-Talk Member

Andertons have been great in my experience with a guitar that wasnt finished ti my standard, so sent it back. No questions asked. If you weren't happy, return it. Sounds like you just wanted a story to tell the lads lol

18. MickeyPicky

MickeyPicky Strat-Talk Member

I am appalled at the British spelling of said word. I’m surprised you didn’t realize that those are standard issues with the Player series, short of the disconnected lead issue. People will guffaw till blue in the face on these forums that the player is every bit the quality of its older, more sophisticated cousins, while ignoring the finish and fret points, among other issues (far inferior electronics - they just say ‘replace, all good’ like it’s nothing).

Welcome to Straight Talk

19. Brucegomb

Brucegomb Strat-Talker

Never seen glue used on a nut, that's beyond strange. Sounds like it was messed with before you got it. My experience with Fender is extremely good save some "sprouting" frets on the some of them but that's fixable and may be a storage issue. ONCE I got a dead pickup on one, it turned out to be intermittent so it probably worked at the factory. It was a noiseless stack coil and the middle solder area was inferior. Easily fixed if you know what to do.

20. bldwndp

bldwndp Strat-Talker

ALL manufacturers and levels are rushing stock out at this time in this hot market. We're all paying more and they're spending less time and attention. There was a discussion about this on Phil McKnight's chat last week or so. The community is seeing a noticeable decrease in out the door QA/QC across the board as dealers can hardly keep up with demand.

Anderton's would likely have made it right for you had you given them the chance. Do you like it now? HNGD! Pics!