Quality Issues

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Nocevets, Sep 14, 2021.

1. albala

albala Dr. Stratster

As much of a PITA as it would be, I would have sent it back.

2. StratGuy4692

StratGuy4692 Strat-O-Master

I would have sent it right back.

3. bmikultyak

bmikultyak Strat-Talk Member

I haven't bought any Fenders but from the comments I see here regularly, I think it's a waste of time to pay for the "name" Fender. The top guitar companies have all pretty much sold out and are living on their past reputation, have a market base of followers and don't have to worry about QC because someone keeps buying them. Stop buying them or buy older used ones until they get the message. Overpriced and poor quality is the sign of using their past reputation for business.

4. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Strat-Talker

Definitely send it back. It's not what you paid for. I bought an FSR Strat a few years ago, but I was at my local music store, so I saw what I was getting. It's my new #1. IMG_1402.JPG

Bob the builder likes this.
  5. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

That's a purty hunk o lumber

6. Sammyp1971

Sammyp1971 New Member!

I can’t even begin to tell you how much trouble I’ve had with fender in recent years but I’ll give it a shot. Firstly , I teach in a music store six days a week so I’m constantly buying/ selling/ trading instruments. The GAS Is never ending when you work around gear. I handle a lot of guitars in the run of a week across 70-80 students.

My first bad fret on a fender was a 2011 US Tele Special. Choking bends on the high E around the 14th fret after a year of use. Medium action.

Then in 2018 I got strat fever and ordered two US Specials a couple months apart. 1 X HSS, 1 X SSS. Both had high E choking between the 17th - 19th frets on a medium - low action. I fixed the HSS but sent the SSS to the local luthier in frustration and disgust. After which both these strats would only accommodate a full step bend not a step and a half.

2019 Mustang Mim Bass - I had to step the frets down once again from the 17th - 20th. Fret sprout as well.

2019 Mim tele replacement neck - same, step down frets and sprout.

This month I bought a USA Pro 2 Tele and Strat - Exclusive Models to Long n McQuade, Canada. $2100 each. Both came in with off Center nut placement - far more room on the high E side then the low E and both necks on crooked. Once I re bolted the necks for even string lye on each side I could see both neck pockets were too large and failed the business Card test between the neck and pocket. These guitars both have exceptional feeling necks so I have kept both and as before - I fixed the Tele, luthier fixed the strat. On a radius gauge, the strat neck actually goes a bit rounder than 9.5 after the 12th fret.

2020 60th Anniversary Bass - flawless. I guess they require absolute top dollar for a flawless instrument now.

This summer, I briefly owned a 2021 Strat Ultra that ironically was flawless but I couldn’t warm up to it.

My problem is: I’m a repair guy myself and If I like the neck, I’ll keep it and deal with or fix the flaws but I’ve become mighty sour. I never saw a flaw on USA strats/ teles I owned between ‘96-2011.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
    soulman969 likes this.
  7. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

Well, its Scotland.. You may have noticed, it's colder 'n a Eskimo's outhouse there this time of year... If you're not sure about that, just put on your Speedo, and go play in the sprinklers... that ice picky sensation is you skin freezing....

That kinda temperature can have very adverse effects on a guitar.. specially if the Delivery guy's route takes him through Aberlour, and on that day the Macallan Distillery is having a free tasting day... and he leaves the truck unattended for a few hours... although ya can't blame the bloke... Free Macallan scotch... oh man there IS a god... but whatever is in the truck can freeze..

But anyway, such cold can make the neck shrink, leaving the fret ends poking out into the wind... the Pup.. unfortunately an intermittent pickup is not that uncommon... as for the rest of the "stuff" I agree. it appears as though someone had they way with the little lady before you got a chance.. Send it back...

r

soulman969 likes this.