Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Quality of Fender replacement parts?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by El Capo, Oct 23, 2013.

1. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I'm with you on that.

2. fenderkev

fenderkev Most Honored Senior Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Back In Blighty
    Fender pots these days are fairly light weight. I have a Fender(made in Taiwan), volume pot because they are little looser in operation, but the genuine CTS pots I use for Tones are of much higher quality altogether. The American Series tuners also made in Taiwan, are no better than the Schaller "type" you see on Axesrus, except with the Fender name on them they're double the price. Best tuners I've tried for quite a while were Wilkinson "Kluson type" from Axesrus, and they cost £15!

3. Darius

Darius Strat-Talker

Nov 4, 2013
    England
    This is the point I'm trying to make whilst being overly defensive about my MIM traditional. Some of the parts used then are probably as good, if not the same as the ones used now across the range

4. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 21, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    It does have asian sourced wiring and pickups from the time, the mim standard used mexican made pickups and different wiring. It also had a different bridge and the traditional came with the crappy trapezoid tuners. The bridge and the tuners were the first to go on mine. It still has the stock pickups and pots. The pickups arent terrible but the pots are scratchy and need to be replaced.If I'm not mistaken CTS pots used to be made in mexico until fairly recently.

5. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I put a set of those on my Tokai when the old top E went. I like them, but somebody on here pointed out that the buttons are plastic. I can't say I'd noticed till he mentioned it. And they are £19!

6. Timmy

Timmy Strat-Talker

Oct 30, 2013
    Sheffield UK
    I paid £12 for a new genuine fender 5 way switch. When I got it home made in Mexico. When I queried this the shop said that that was all there is available. Is this correct. Not that I have an issue with mim parts it just seems what actually is made in America now.

7. ashcastermetal

ashcastermetal Senior Stratmaster

Jun 1, 2012
    NYC
    Anybody have any suggestions for some really high quality pots/electronics? I bought fender even after reading that they were made in Taiwan but they are too sticky or not smooth in operation. I want the highest quality, even if they're twice the price. A pot can't be that expensive regardless of where it was made (where it's made doesn't matter to me).

"I view the strat like an acoustic instrument. It's up to you to get the sounds" Y.J.M.

8. sbradbury67

sbradbury67 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 7, 2013
    leicester UK
    Open the Cts' s and put some grease in/take some out and bobs yer uncle. You can find bespoke wiring looms on ebay and guess what ...same old gear. Try googlin' it I think I have before and didn't find very much useful.

9. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 21, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    A lot of small parts like pots, switches, screws aren't manufactured in america any more by anybody. Its just something you have to deal with.

10. Rockape

Rockape Most Honored Senior Member

Oct 23, 2008
    UK
    I bought these CTS no-load tone pots for my CV Strats from an independent dealer (just can't remember who it was now?). They have brass bushings / inserts and feel very high quality (not sure where they were made)

The switch is a CRL (American part no. I believe?):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    That wiring is scarily neat. :eek:

12. Rockape

Rockape Most Honored Senior Member

Oct 23, 2008
    UK
    Cheers stratman, Yes, MIL spec wire, low tox, very bendable... :)

13. Bad Monkey

Bad Monkey Senior Stratmaster

Oct 8, 2013
    Texas
    MIA doesn't really mean 100% MADE in America....it means workers in America were paid to put the parts together that make up a MIA Fender guitar. That doesn't mean that all of those "parts" were MIA. In all honesty, in regards to full disclosure, they should really change MIA to AIA (Assembled in America). I could be wrong but I think the only thing the Fender plant actually "makes" in Cali is the Neck, Body and Pickups. But that really doesn't bother me, as when I buy a Fender Strat all I care about is the neck and the body, and that they are perfectly fitted together. Everything else can be changed...that's the beauty of Leo's design.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  14. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I suspect the wire in my guitars would bend like that, if I tried. I've never thought about trying though........

15. shovelmike

shovelmike Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2013
    Missouri
    IMG_1641.jpg

IMG_1642.jpg

IMG_1646.JPG The phillips heads on a couple of the pick guard screws on my MIM Strat were stripped out badly. I am a little obsessive, and just the opposite of those who striving to relic their guitars. I figured I would replace them now rather than wrestle with difficult screws if and when I need to remove the pick guard. I could have gone to the local hardware store, but I figured the easiest way to assure an exact replacement was to order from Fender......so much for that idea. The screw on the left is the original, on the right is the Taiwanese screw.
    The Asians are capable of giving a manufacturer whatever level whatever level of quality they are willing to pay for, but I was hoping the length and threads would be a match.
    Oh well, I will take a look at the hardware store and find a match......and give the old screws to a relicer, :p

16. smithboyrd

smithboyrd Strat-Talker

Oct 20, 2011
    Minneapolis, MN, USA
    The difference in the two screws has absolutely nothing to do with where they were manufactured. Simply 2 different screws. Blame Fender, not the factory that made them.

17. fenderkev

fenderkev Most Honored Senior Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Back In Blighty
    Yeh wrong screws in the wrong package. The bigger screw should have gone in the "string tree" box!

18. tiredguy

tiredguy Strat-O-Master

May 14, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    I have only ever seen the screw on the right in a Fender guitar or Fender packaging sold seperately. I have never seen that screw on the left in any Fender guitar or part sold seperately. Its a pickle.

19. sbradbury67

sbradbury67 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 7, 2013
    leicester UK
    Quit screwin' around o'kay

20. shovelmike

shovelmike Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2013
    Missouri
    Interesting, maybe the previous owner had the pick guard off and substituted the longer screw. The hole is just a little larger and considerably deeper that desired, not enough wood for the smaller screw to grab onto.
    It's off the the hardware store later.
    Thanks for the feedback.