Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Quality W****** stuff compared to F***** stuff..

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Jonhy_Greenwood, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Jonhy_Greenwood

Jonhy_Greenwood Strat-Talk Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Paraguay
    Hi guys.

I'm thinking of building a strat that fill all my needs..
    So the first step is to try the Warmoth stuff..

But.. if you have to do a comparisson beetwen a Warmoth strat with a real Fender in terms of quality..
    Wich fender's series do you think are comparable to a Warmoth strat? American? Mexican? amercan deluxe? standard? special? elite? profesional? custom shop brand? american vintage? clasic series??

Fendereedo likes this.
  2. mshivy

mshivy Senior Stratmaster

Are you in Radiohead ?

Warmoth is very good quality,
    But it does not have the resale value of Fender.

You may want to figure out what specs fit you best, then try to find the Fender model with those specs.

If you do go the DIY way, good luck, I hope it turns out great
    Just remember a lot of builds can run good $$ and if you want to sell chances are you'll never recoup anywhere near what you spent , even if you part it out.

Groovey, wildhawk, Neil.C and 2 others like this.
  3. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Depends on which level of Warmoth stuff you buy.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    Warmoth offers so many options that I think it's difficult to compare. Also, it's important to consider that Warmoth does not assemble the parts together - You either have to find a luthier to assemble your guitar or do it yourself. The skill of the luthier has an effect on the overall quality of the assembled guitar. However, I think Warmoth parts are well made. I have a partscaster that I had built with a Warmoth body and a Fender neck. I had a luthier put it together so that I wouldn't mess up anything. He said he had to sand the neck slightly because the neck fit was very tight, but I think it came out very well. The other parts fit onto it well too (including a Fender Deluxe bridge, Kinman pickups and electronics).

Dzamuz, Stratoskater and albala like this.
  6. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Strat-O-Master

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    If it feels and sounds good who cares if it was built by Chico and Manuel. Playit

7. Stratopat

Stratopat Strat-Talk Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Wisconsin
    I remember thinking I had a guitar that could fill all my needs. I sold it after I found the second guitar that really filled all my needs. I sold that one after I found the third guitar that really really filled all my needs, and I sold that one after......................

I have looked at Warmoth many times, but have never bought. I add everything up, and it seems that for the money, I could by myself a really nice Fender. But the kicker is exactly what mshivy says, no resale value. I have seen ads for Warmoth guitars saying "1500.00 in parts" and they can't get 500.00 for them.

79 Vibes likes this.
  8. vid1900

vid1900 Strat-Talker

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    Warmouth and USACG parts are better in fit and finish than Fender parts.

It will cost you more to build a standard Stat-type guitar, than to just buy one from the next Adorama Fender clearance sale.

But, if you want a certain guitar with a Roasted Maple neck, Stainless Steel Jumbo Frets, Quilted Blue Maple body and 70s style headstock - you can build that yourself much cheaper than having the Fender's custom shop do it.

If you've never set up a guitar from scratch before, add $100-200 to your budget in case you need to have your local guitar tech tweak your work.

zzzps12303A.jpg

9. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain Strat-Talker

Jan 1, 2013
    Seattle

Not sure why folks are always worried about resale? I do not buy guitars to sell them. I buy guitars to play them. I would much rather have a great playing DIY guitar than a crap playing name brand no matter what the resale value is.

mabley123, corywrx, gos211 and 4 others like this.
  10. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 10, 2011
    The Shack, Nova Scotia
    Folks are worried about resale because music is a journey, and the journey sucks if the landscape never changes.

Groovey, carver, DannyHescock and 5 others like this.
  11. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member

May 10, 2012
    stamford, CT
    Nothing wrong with considering resale. I always do and I didn't in the beginning of my journey.
    Warmoth is nice if you want something custom made. Fender, especially MIA parts with MIA parts, should bolt right up with minimal extra work. I like MIA necks and I have mixed them with MIA and MIM bodies. I also have a Warmoth neck on a MIM body. It has required a lot of tinkering to get it perfect.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    mshivy and The Strat Dude like this.
  12. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

another way to look at this, I have a few partscasters and their "value" Is not equal to how good of a guitar they are for sure. But I will have them until the end and no one will be fighting over who gets what, plus I get to play them and not have to worry about freeking if a ding here or there will hurt the resale value. Also I just like to tinker with them.

Groovey, mshivy and Fendereedo like this.
  13. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    I disagree with that as a statement on all Fenders. My Eric Johnson signature is the best fit and finish of any of the 34 guitars I've ever owned including 6 Warmoth builds.

StratusMB and Fendereedo like this.
  14. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Most Honored Senior Member

May 7, 2014
    UK
    Nah! That's Jonny Greenwood. ;)

mshivy likes this.
  15. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    I'd bet the proportion of crap playing partscasters is higher than the proportion of crap playing F*****.

16. mshivy

mshivy Senior Stratmaster

That's great- I'm pretty much the same way. Most of my guitars are partscasters with (yup) no resale value.

However, if someone asks for opinions on the forum, I think it's best to hear both the pros and cons. If you're gonna go the Warmoth route, which can get expensive, it's not a brand that's so easily flipped if you decide you don't like it a year later.

@Jonhy_Greenwood , good luck whichever route you take.

17. Bladesg

Bladesg Senior Stratmaster

Oct 31, 2013
    Australia
    Imo an inexpensive guitar with a great setup will play and usually sound better than an expensive guitar that requires setup work. I've seen it plenty of times where an ordinary guitar turns into a peach simply because it was setup right.

Other than re-sale value there's no reason why a partscaster can't be as good as any strat out there. Choose some components carefully depending on what you're after and if you're not confident setting it up pay someone who is an expert that you trust. Where I live there's only one guy I'd trust to do work on any of my guitars.

corywrx and Misty Mountain like this.
  18. Swampash

Swampash Strat-O-Master

Jun 13, 2012
    Here
    I'll never own a genuine Fender ever again because no off-the-rack Fender does what I want. My main axe is a Fender MIM body with a USACG neck; my #2 is a Warmoth body with a USACG neck.

lammie200 likes this.
  19. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain Strat-Talker

Jan 1, 2013
    Seattle
    Probably right, but I only use the best parts and get them setup and plek'd. Mine play amazing.

20. vid1900

vid1900 Strat-Talker

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    I gotta ask, why did not not finish off your Warmouths builds better than that EJ you got?

The EJs I've played are nice guitars, but, you know.....I can build much better [ducks] lol.....

gos211 likes this.
  21. Jacob95amstd

Jacob95amstd Strat-Talker

Mar 25, 2017
    Jefferson Ga
    Ive tried building a few partscasters from squier necks and also a mighttmite neck with an aftermarket guitar fetish body. All in all, neither of the parts casters equaled up to the build quality and fit and finish of my made in mexico strat I had. I modded it with usa parts and still couldn't recoup 80% of the value of it brand new when I Sold it and got my 95 am std. I have no intention of modding it. The guitar just has the personality I was looking for in a guitar and is 22 years old. White guitar was the mim, orange was a partscaster and the black one is my mia.

Attached Files: