Join Strat-Talk Today

Question about AV reissues

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Bluestrat83, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Bluestrat83

Bluestrat83 Senior Stratmaster

So I’m selling some guitars. An 2008 am std and a classic player 60’s to fund an used Am. Vintage strat plus other gear I currently need. My current strats will sell very good in my country...
    I’m checking out reverb since I have the chance to bring the guitar from the states.
    So, in order my main options are:
    AV ‘59 thin skin (9,5 radius)
    Regular AV 59
    Other AV with rosewood neck
    American original 60’s (the last option)

The ‘59 come and go really fast in reverb so I don’t know if I’ll be able to grab one of those when time comes.

I see more AV 61’ and 62’ available a good prices. Many from the 80’s (not Fullerton) so:
    How’s the neck on these models? I heard this years have thinner necks but are they am std thin?
    One of the reason I’m selling the std is because I don’t want really thin neck, I like the CP60’s tough...

3bolt79 likes this.
  2. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Any AV '61 would be a Thinskin series model; they mostly have different necks than the typical AVs, plus they would have the modern radius and larger frets like the AO '60s currently has (but not the AO '60s neck shape).

Going back to the AVRI '62s - there were 2 different versions of it:

• Version 1 - made 1982-84 in Fullerton, again late 1985-mid 1998 in Corona. The necks aren't vintage correct; Fender was going for a "vintage vibe" when they designed these in 1981-82. The necks are often wider (1 11/16), typically kind of slim and what they now call a "slim-shoulder C" that is somewhat in-between a typical vintage C and soft V. The pickups are good, it has the nitro-over-poly type finish (like the current AOs). The neck did start evolving toward a true vintage C during the 1990s; they lose those very deep Fullerton contours roughly 1988-89 - probably as production ramped up on them.
    • Version 2 - made mid-1988 until mid-2012. Necks are more vintage correct but they start out as a fairly slim C but go up in depth - not as thick as the AV '65s or the AO '60s though. The pickups are revised a bit; they are very good also. I never got to compare the 1982-1998 pickups to the 1998-2012 pickups as I only owned the Version 2 models. Also the nitro-over-poly finish.
    Hope that helps a bit.

Bluestrat83, sensei and Yves like this.
  3. sensei

sensei Strat-Talker

Version 2 starting 1998....

Bluestrat83 likes this.
  4. Bluestrat83

Bluestrat83 Senior Stratmaster

This couldn’t be more clear. Thank you very much!

5. mabley123

mabley123 Senior Stratmaster

Actually for a 62 vintage correct vs early 80s Fullertons.

Starting in 1960 Fender opened up something like the custom shop.. They offered a Maple Cap Neck, and different nut widths.
    • A = 1 1/2" wide at the nut.
    • B = 1 5/8" wide at the nut (normal size).
    • C = 1 3/4" wide at the nut.
    • D = 1 7/8" wide at the nut.
    But no 1 11/16th as was stated earlier for the Fullerton 62 RIs, but 1 5/8 isn't the only width Fender ever made back in the old days.

A buddy of mines uncle ( Deceased ) had an original 1 owner 57 White Strat/Maple Neck ( of course ) with Gold Hardware from the factory, but swapped out the neck in 1960 to a Rosewood Board because the Maple was looking worn, and dirty.:eek::eek::eek::eek::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:.

Guitar is long gone. Also had an original Firebird, and Flying V.

Bluestrat83 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.