Question for Mac Gurus: New iMac issue

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Numbercruncher, May 25, 2021.

1. Numbercruncher

Numbercruncher Senior Stratmaster

I just setup my brand new iMac for the first time last evening.

I let the Apple migration tool do it's thing which is something I would normally NOT do. Too late now . . .

My old MacBook Pro has a 1 TB hard drive. Right now the Get Info command on the hard drive tells me I have 400 gigs available with 600 used. If I look at "About This Mac" and click on storage I can see the following:

Documents: 285 GB
    iCloud Drive: 248 GB
    iOS Files: 103 GB
    iTunes: 69 GB (I have several full length movies at 5gb each so this library looks larger for music than is actually is.)
    Photos: 52 GB
    Apps: 26 GB
    Other: 6 GB

If I elmininate the iCloud drive I am somewhat close to the 600gb that "Get Info" indicates I have used.

With the new iMac, all I have done is install RAM and let the migration tool do its thing.

Get Info on the new iMac says 2TB HD, 1.14 GB available 856 GB used. What the Hell? How did I suddenly "use" 250 additional GB of data when all I did was let the Apple utility move files over?

Additional detail in the About This Mac/Storage I see the following:

Documents: 231 GB
    iOS Files: 109 GB
    iCloud Drive: 71 GB
    TV: 58 GB (I think it is the movies that are no longer showing in iTunes)
    App: 16 GB (No idea where they went but I know many are not compatible with this OS so maybe they didn't transfer over even though their icon is visible in the Dock though they have a line through them)
    Music: 11 GB (Makes sense if their are no movies here and they are in TV)
    System: 15 GB
    Other: 338 GB

Clearly something is up with Other but I don't have a clue what it can be. I also don't see Photos listed anywhere but I do have a Photos library on the new machine so maybe they are in Other. But what about the other 275GB? How in the world do I get rid of whatever was duplicated in the move to the new machine?

I will of course call or chat with Apple as soon as I get back from lunch as I think it may be a long afternoon. I did a quick Google search for "Other" but all the links were to software companies that sell a utility that claims to clean up unused files but I have no interest in spending money on this issue.

So if any Mac Gurus know what in the world Other is, how I can access it or eliminate what isn't necessary please let me know. I'll give Apple the first shot but I shudder to think what I am in for.

NC

2. Fenderbaum

Fenderbaum Strat-O-Master

Never done this. Always do clean install on my macs when time presents itself.
    Backup the old way to a cloud folder and erase everything.

Dreamdancer likes this.
  3. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Silver Member

`
    I always keep my photos and other important docs on a separate external drive, because I can't stand how Apple organizes things in their system.

They seem to think people are too stupid to do their own organizing, so they force them into doing it "Apple's way". Their photo interface is a "jump thru hoops" type, instead of a "just show me the stinkin files" type and I always ended up searching all over the place trying to figure out where something got put! So I decided to avoid them altogether and my stress level has decreased 99+% in that area.

And as far as trying to figure out what that 338 GB of "Other" stuff is? Good luck! Even if you find out what it is, I'd bet good money there's no easy way to get rid of it! Computers are suppose to eliminate doing menial tasks aren't they? If you have to spend more than five minutes doing something that should take five seconds, then I'd say the computer designer has failed in doing their job!

I started using Apple/Macintosh products back in the 80s and 90s - when their user interface was very intuitive (I was admittedly a MS Windows hater). But now I currently own a MacBook Pro and am not entirely sure I'd ever get another one if this one ever crashes - so that says a lot about what I think of Apple these days...

`

Last edited: May 25, 2021
    T Bone Slort likes this.
  4. Slyy

Slyy Strat-Talker

Just some food for thought. I’m guessing the other stuff gobbling up space are file copies from the migration tool. Try running onyx and see if it will clear up those unneeded files.

velvet_man likes this.
  5. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Senior Stratmaster

I just switched from Windows to Mac Pro (i9) and there's no way I'm going back to Windows. Whatever is eating you about the MacBook Pro is probably minuscule compared to Windows.
    Hang in there. :)

Slyy likes this.
  6. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

They both suck, just in different ways.

AxemanVR likes this.
  7. Eric_G

Eric_G Strat-Talker

Just reading this, I would guess that your new Mac has more memory. If you actually have 256gig more of memory, the difference may be used by memory paging. A process by which computer dumps some memory to disk to free up active memory and run more stuff in paradelle...

Just my guess...

8. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

Well the first thing to do is get a back up drive if you don't already have one, get everything on that BEFORE you troubleshoot.

AxemanVR likes this.
  9. SoulSurfer

SoulSurfer Strat-O-Master

How “karmic” to be reading this!

I changed religions in 2008 and went from “Gstesism” to “Jobsism”. In the process I learned a whole lot about the operating system and some of the finer points of the iMac and MacBook Pro.

A der friend recently upgraded his 7 yo MacBook Pro to a newer M1 based MacBook Air. His migration process was also a cluster f-bomb and he called me to help him out. Only in his case the migration screwed up his WiFi interface and kept giving him a self-assigned IP address. I must also add that I find the caliber of the Apple support people, to have really tumbled in the last 5 yrs. They chalked it up to a defective unit, but I know it was not. They sent him another new one and of course the same issue occurred after the migration.

Apple maintains probably the highest standards in build quality, despite the lowest in support personnel’ training. So I convinced my buddy to set it up as a new machine and lo and behold, everything worked. We just finished transferring his phot and music library along with docs and he’s done.

Big Sur has been really a “Big Slur”. I had a heck of a time when I got my new iMac 27 with the i9 proc. I had to fall back to Catalina in order for my Universal Audio Apollo Twin|x to work until UAD did an upgrade.

10. Danny D

Danny D Strat-O-Master

New Orleans born, now 40 miles west of Sacramento
    This is all you need to know.

11. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Silver Member

I’ve been using both Windows and Apple/Mac for decades.

Sure, both suck, but I’m most disappointed in Apple because I actually remember how user-friendly and intuitive they use to be.

Ever since Microsoft ripped off the Macintosh GUI, Apple has been trying to be “different”...

...yeah, they’re different alright...

Anyway, both Windows and Apple are equally vying for the “who can suck worse” award as far as I’m concerned, especially when they both seem more concerned with stealing their customers data and controlling their user’s activities...

Last edited: May 26, 2021
    gjohnson441496 and telepraise like this.
  12. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

The extra disk space is likely temporary files created during the installation, pending OS updates, or as part of the data shuffling. If you can find the 'clean drive' application it should remove those files 'automagically' for you.

I had Apple products in the 80s, then Microsoft through the 90s. Then went to Linux from 00s to current. So much better and faster.

The last that I ran Windows regularly, I had two Blue Screens Of Death in a week, one of them I lost significant work. And a few days later I come across this version of Linux called "Slax: Kill Bill Edition" -- I loved the humor in it and still irritated at the BSODs. I downloaded Slax KBE and burned it to a CD (now use USB flash drives) and ran it 'live' ... and found Firefox that I was already using, plus all the regular office tools like Open Office (I use Libreoffice now) and more. It could do real work.
    [​IMG]
    There were enough tools I could potentially switch. I landed on early Ubuntu and first installed it on my older desktop that was half the speed of the main box I had and it worked surprisingly well. Then I got a new HDD for my main box and did a full install putting the Windows HDD as a data drive so I could pull my old files. The machine was so much faster under Linux than Windows. And Linux kept up with security updates, and was generally more secure anyway. These are the choices today:

https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

[​IMG]

AxemanVR likes this.
  13. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

Linux isnt the right tool for the job.Yes if we talk about a generic desktop for daily generic tasks i would subscribe to linux too(and i have in many occasions)...you can get the right distro that can revive even an old in the tooth computer and make it relevant again...BUT...when we start talking about industry standard apps for more serious tasks(like music recording for example) then linux cant compete.The equivalent apps are not even close to the same level as those in OSX or windows or the third party plugins that someone can go and buy let alone the hardware support.Imagine for example the friend above that has the Universal Audio Apollo Twin,a banging and quite pricey audio interface to rely on choppy drivers the linux users make to see it working properly let alone find equivalent recording software to logic pro x or Cubase in linux.....nope.

Osx is probably the most stable os ever if you dont try (like many do) and get the latest version as soon as it comes out.....if you adhere to that very basic rule(i give two years time before i even think of "upgrading" to something) you ll never have any prob with osx....iam still on el capitan running logic pro x and pretty much anything i want and only now i start feeling i need to upgrade while so many versions have come and passed...

Slyy likes this.
  14. 98springer

98springer Strat-Talker

I've been using this for the last year or so. I also use Win10 because sometimes I just have to.
    https://manjaro.org/

15. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Strat-Talker

I suspect if you watch “Other” and “iCloud” over the next day or two, you’ll see them changing and ultimately freeing up that 250 GB (or thereabouts). I suspect it is currently optimizing what goes where on your local drive and your iCloud Drive. I think the OS has allocated some temporary storage while it optimizes where things should be stored.

If I add iCloud and “other” in your second list I’m much closer to your original size. Then if I account for some files be moved around (for instance, the movie files that went from your old iTunes folder into the new “TV” folder), it kind of comes close. This operation is likely limited by your internet upload speed, so time to complete that operation can vary.

16. Numbercruncher

I spent four hours on the phone with four different Apple technicians. Each one gave a different answer. One senior tech said something I simply do not agree with so I have just decided to fight battles I can win and let the iMac do what it wants.

NC

17. BelairPlayer

I’m curious about two things:

1. What did the tech suggest that you don’t agree with?

2. Are those file sizes still the same, or have they changed since you originally posted?

18. Numbercruncher

That is what the 4th technician said yesterday. On my Mac I can see my user account has 720gb and yet this same machine (MacBook Pro) is the one that says only 600gb used with 400 gb available. Why the 120 gb disparity? Well it must have something to do with the user account has the "Mobile Documents" folder which is inside the Library and that is around 200gb. This is clearly the iCloud shared information so to speak and is already on the machine physically so it should not be considered as taking up hard drive space. This is why the use account shows 720gb and the hard only shows 600 gb. The 600gb includes 200gb of data on the cloud but the user account is counting it twice. It isn't on the computer twice but the user account is merely letting me know that total user space for my laptop and files on the cloud is 720gb. I know the math here isn't quite working out but I think we are on the same page.

Hopefully in the next day or so the iMac will settle down. What drove this is the basic idea that I only had 600gb of data on the MacBook Pro with 400gb available and the new iMac suddenly shows 850gb of data and 1.15 available on the 2 tb drive. As long as it settles down to within 20gb or so I'll just let it go.

NC

19. Numbercruncher

For point #1, here it is and I suspect you'll agree. And this is from a senior tech (the first senior tech I spoke with). In a nutshell he said, "When we see the get info for the hard drive (we did a remote session on both machines) we can clearly see 600b used and 400 free. But if we look at your user account it is showing 750gb in total. I suspect your MacBookPro "Get Info" is corrupted as there is no way for the user account to have 750 gb but the hard drive only shows 600gb allocated."

I am dead certain this is how he phrased it. Maybe he temporarily forgot that under User/MyName/Library you have Mobile Documents which is either all on the cloud or mostly on the cloud. However, at least how the 2nd senior tech described it and my understanding is that my user account totals all files associated with that account, some are on the cloud and some are on my local machine. So if the 2nd tech is correct, the user account should be show greater data usage than the Get Info indicates is on the hard drive as the user accounts shows all files locally and on the cloud whereas Get Info only shows what is local.

That makes sense now but my head was spinning yesterday. Now if someone could just tell my why a cloud logo means it is NOT on the cloud and the cloud logo with an arrow down means it is on the cloud I'll be home free.

NC

20. BelairPlayer

Don’t get me started on many of the recent user interface changes. In short, the cloud icon means this hasn’t been synchronized to the cloud yet. No symbol means this exists both locally and in the cloud. The cloud with the down arrow means “the file is only listed here by name, if you wish to view it, use it, etc. you must first download it as it only exists in the cloud.”