Question for the Sparkies Out There

ThreeChordWonder

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 2, 2020
Cypress TX
I love my new Alexa enabled smart light switches and dimmers, I really do.

Before long I'll have every room downstairs equipped with them. Upstairs in phase 2.

Now the question.

How do I synchronize them to Saturday Night Fever?

Last edited:

nadzab

Play Don't Worry
Silver Member
May 15, 2009
New England
Some of the smart lights can do that, depends on the brand. A guy I know *ahem* has a bunch of Eufy color-changing lights (no hub) and they have a music mode. Works reasonably well for most Bee Gees selections. Now all he *ahem* needs is a lighted dance floor...

abnormaltoy

Mouth draggin' knuckle breather
Apr 28, 2013
Tucson
I love my ne Alexa enabled smart light switches and dimmers, I really do.

Before long I'll have every room downstairs equipped with them. Upstairs in phase 2.

Now the question.

How do I synchronize them to Saturday Night Fever?

Before a man of your age gets too ambitious, you should probably go down to the medical supply store and get some type of lumbar support, lest you get a hitch in your git-along.

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
My wife has done that stuff throughout the household.
My joke is it gives her someone else to boss around
Same here.
It's funny when she starts yelling at it and the ball just responds "Sorry, I don't know that one"

One of ours upstairs seems to be pretty hard of hearing.
Wife busted up when I said "Alexa, change your wake word to "Oh, Deaf One"

Sometimes she'll get frustrated and say "Turn off the f#$%^ lights" and Alexa responds "I'm sorry, I can't find a group or device called f#$%^ lights"

I suspect the "hard of hearing" thing is because I'm pretty sure our neighbors also have one in the adjacent room. A couple of years ago, we would occasionally get a mysterious "ok" out of nowhere, and a few times me wife mentioned that she thought the heard "her" talking but it sounded muffled.... it was likely the neighbor's unit.
I think Alexa adjusted "her" sensitivity to reduce the false detections

stormin1155

Strat-O-Master
Mar 18, 2014
Iowa
I started equipping my home with smart switches and such. Problem is my wife just couldn't get along with Alexa, so they wouldn't work for her. I would always hear her arguing with Alexa and cursing her out in the other room. Finally she changed Alexa's voice to a male voice and things work much better now. Women!!! I think it was a jealousy thing.

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
I started equipping my home with smart switches and such. Problem is my wife just couldn't get along with Alexa, so they wouldn't work for her. I would always hear her arguing with Alexa and cursing her out in the other room. Finally she changed Alexa's voice to a male voice and things work much better now. Women!!! I think it was a jealousy thing.
We changed the wake word on the one in the kitchen to "Ziggy" so the two units that are fairly close don't confuse commands when wife wants to set a cooking timer.