Question For Those With 12 String Acoustics?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by stevierayfan91, Mar 22, 2020.

1. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

My first 12 string was a Goya.
    After a couple of years, I sold it, then immediately regretted it and bought a Sigma (Martin's old import line).

'95, I bought an Epiphone PR5-E, and having a 6-string around was nice.
    '15, I sprung for a Taylor 214.
    Oh man... The Taylor voicing almost has a 12-string feel to it, and it's the only acoustic I've ever played that played almost as easily as my electrics.

I'd love to replace the Sigma with a Taylor 12.

nuculer terrist and Bowmap like this.
  2. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

About a month ago, I bought a brand new Recording King Dirty Thirties twelver. I can't put it down.

To be clear, I'm primarily an acoustic strummer to begin with. Strumming a 12-string sounds awesome, but it's at its best, IMHO, when you arpeggiate chords (think intro to "More Than a Feeling").

In addition to Petty songs and the obligatory 12-string tune "Wish You Were Here," there are great songs out there from the Byrds, America, Boston, Zeppelin, the Stones, Supertramp, the Indigo Girls, and John Denver. Extreme's "Hole Hearted" is another awesome one. And don't limit yourself to songs that were originally played on a 12. I have found success with other Pink Floyd tunes ("Breathe," "Time"), as well as Hootie and the Blowfish ("Let Her Cry"), Buffalo Springfield ("For What It's Worth"), CSN&Y ("Teach Your Children") and the Allman Brothers ("Midnight Rider"). Try everything!

I recommend you tune down at least a half-step (mine is down a full-step) to reduce string pressure, and buy a 12-string capo. I did a lot of research, and decided on the Kyser. It is as good as advertised.

Bowmap likes this.
  3. bsman

bsman Strat-O-Master

I have a Takamine EG523SC-12 I've had for at least ten years, and while it will never be my #1, it's always a blast to pull it out and treat my audience to a symphony of one! :)

nuculer terrist and Bowmap like this.