Join Strat-Talk Today

Question re: small Engine Repair

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Boognish, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

I've got a Craftsman weedeater that I'm trying to get working again. The fuel lines from the tank to the carburetor had dry rotted so I replaced them a few months ago and it wouldn't start so I just put it away and didn't jack with it anymore until now. Today I've pulled the carburetor off of the main part of the weedeater with the fuel lines still attached and pressed the bulb several times and it seems like it just circulates the fuel from the tank to the carb and back to the tank. there wasn't any fuel coming out of the carb itself when I pressed that bulb. I took off the spark plug and it can be replaced so I'm going to do that but it seems like the motor isn't getting any kind of fuel at all. I looked down in the hole where the spark plug is and it was bone dry.

I'm thinking maybe the fuel lines are switched up?

Anybody got any thoughts?

2. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sounds to me like that carb is full of varnish. It really doesn't take much fuel stuck in that tiny carb to get gummed up since the passages are about 1/2 mm to 1mm at most. I would take it apart and soak it in carb cleaner or even Sea Foam for about a day to start. If the intake passage is gummed up then the bulb will relieve back to the tank so it doesn't build too much pressure.

CB91710, Willmunny, 808K and 6 others like this.
  3. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

Carb jets might be blocked
    You need one of these
    [​IMG]

Or of course a guitar string will do the same job:D

4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Yeah I had to strip the carb and to use the pricker (several times) when the diaphragm in the fuel pump decided to disintegrate and migrate into the carb.

ukoldgit likes this.
  5. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Berryman's B-12 and air compressor are my small-engine carburetor friends. But don't blow directly on a diaphram ...

6. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

The bulb is just to get the fuel from the tank up there so the engine vacuum (with choke) can pull it through the carburetor. I'd put it back together and get a can of 'starter fluid' to spray in the air intake. If the engine starts on that and runs until the starter fluid is used up then you know you are starved for fuel and the spark/etc other systems are ok.

Sometimes a spray of starter fluid the first time you try starting up for the season is all the motor needs and it'll run and start on it's own again until storage next year.

TimTheViking and Triple Jim like this.
  7. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

If you don't have any starter fluid handy you can dribble about half a teaspoon of gasoline/oil into the carb instead.

Boognish likes this.
  8. duzie

duzie Senior Stratmaster

Another option is a new carb.
    They seem to retail on amazon for around 10- 20 dollars.

Bodean, Jeepocaster and Boognish like this.
  9. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

I don't know anything about carburritos. :(

henderman likes this.
  10. 808K

808K Senior Stratmaster

Use this, or something like it, next time it gets put away for awhile.

upload_2019-11-11_20-49-54.jpeg

Jeepocaster likes this.
  11. Boognish

I got a can of this stuff called Gunk that is carb cleaner and sprayed it all up in the carb and it started for about 2 seconds and died a couple of times so I'm thinking its not getting fuel.

12. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

gas will turn to varnish and coat and clog the tiny passages of a carb.

so they should always be in use and have fresh gas flowing through them or they need to be drained dry for storage to prevent the gumming and varnishing up.

Believer7713 likes this.
  13. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

if you can continue to blast the gunk carb cleaner and get it into where it needs to so it can dissolve the goop you might get lucky and avoid a tear down.

you went from nothing to something in a part of a can so it might pay out....

Boognish likes this.
  14. nadzab

nadzab Peace & Love, my Brothers & Sisters... Strat-Talk Supporter

One of these days I'm going to give up on my gas weed whacker and get one of those lithium-ion rigs...

thomquietwolf likes this.
  15. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Strat-O-Master

Probably blocked carb passages. You'll need to find them, and clear them with some tiny wire. You can strip a bread tie, use guitar strings, whatever fits.

And I stopped using starter fluid, especially on 2-strokes: it has no lubricant in it, so you are operating the engine without lubricant. I'm pretty sure I've traced damage to hard-starting engines that were abused with starting fluid. Which burned the rings, loss of compression, making them harder to start...

16. Boognish

I started thinking this morning....I started using that TruFuel which is premixed gas/oil since I replaced the fuel lines. It's the correct ratio 40:1, but I wonder if that could be an issue?

The color is alot lighter than the gas/oil mixed manually.

17. TepidPilot

TepidPilot Strat-Talker

I started using 40:1 trufuel in my string trimmer a couple years ago because methanol polluted pump gas was melting my fuel lines and clogging the carburetor screen. Replaced the fuel lines, de-gunked the screen and haven't had a lick of trouble since.

TP

18. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

As said before by several, the jets are clogged. It will take quite a while of soaking the carburetor to soften the varnish from the dried up gas to the point of dissolving. Spraying the jets will sometimes get it but if it's been sitting for a long time then they are most likely gummed up solid. It's one of those jobs that will not end well without patience and time...even in a repair shop. It's why most techs will just replace the carb; time is money there.

duzie and Boognish like this.
  19. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Strat-Talker

Umm... if the jets were clogged, why would it fire and run a couple seconds? If they were clogged, it should not run at all?

20. AncientAx

AncientAx Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I did , so much easier .

nadzab likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.