Question: What is this hole?

Murdog

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
May 7, 2021
U.S.A.
I was installing a treble bleed on my '98 Jimmie Vaughan "partscaster" Strat and noticed a circular hole in the body just to the right and in between the neck and middle pickup cutouts and was wondering what that is. Just curious and any help is appreciate :)
d. Screen Shot 2022-02-13 at 7.05.58 PM.png

Murdog

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
May 7, 2021
U.S.A.
Some will say it's an indexing hole for the CNC router.. Some say it's indicative of whether its an MIA or MIM body. Heck some might even tell you it makes a strat a semi-hollow body guitar!
That's one of those CNC jig fixture holes or not-a-jig-fixture-hole that has been the source of endless debate since someone took off their pickguard back in about 1982...
Wow, that's crazy. I get the indexing hole for sure. I also get the "lets put a hole here to differentiate a MIM from a MIA as well.

Scott Baxendale

Most Honored Senior Member
Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Sante Fe, NM
That's one of those CNC jig fixture holes or not-a-jig-fixture-hole that has been the source of endless debate since someone took off their pickguard back in about 1982...
I don’t think Fender had switched to CNC machines in the early 80’s yet and was still using pin routers for shaping bodies which makes even more sense for that particular indexing hole.

Believer7713

The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein
Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
Someone was infatuated with a documentary about crop circles and decided to start putting them into strat bodies to make the rest of the world wonder endlessly and aimlessly. So it...
3a608769791ab3dfde472d2d8670fe11aa71328c5a83501be25d3d568a4fbacb.jpg

MGW-AB

Strat-O-Master
Jun 6, 2020
Wild Rose Country
I could be wrong about this because I haven't paid close enough attention over the years but isn't the hole always in the same place? In my mind that lends significant credibility to the CNC reference point explanation.

Latest posts