Questioned on authenticity of an American Standard I am selling

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by shrekfingers, May 22, 2020.

1. shrekfingers

shrekfingers Strat-O-Master

Small world..my mom and dad was from Canton transplanted down here in 50's and had me..they hated this area and never got to move back.

3bolt79 and Nadnitram like this.
  2. shrekfingers

Thanks all you really put me at ease and gave me the ammo I needed. The low ball offers from the guy that questioned it has started to go up after using the info from you all. I think I'm just gonna ignore his offers since he was trying to cut me by 250.00 off my asking price. He very well may have doing what you all suspected

3bolt79 and Andrew Wasson like this.
  3. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Strat-O-Master

Puckered in Piqua, huh....there might be a song there somewhere....:cool:

4. wrvond

wrvond Senior Stratmaster

There’s no rosewood fretboard; obviously a fake. I’ll give you $50.00 and even pick it up!
    :whistling::D

3bolt79 likes this.
  5. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

I think you're correct - that buyer knew it's legit but they want $250 off.

That "10xxxxxx" format was only used for about 3 months, roughly January-March 2010 give or take a few weeks on either side, and Fender's webpage on "dating your USA Fender" has a typo because they say the "10" prefix should be followed by 7 digits when they of course really have 6 digits after the "10".

Also American Professionals still have the current "Corona, California" decal in the same spot on the front of the headstock that used to say "Made In USA" - which they can't use any more due to California's more restrictive product labeling laws (in CA you can't have more than 10% non-USA content, and when you factor in the source of the wood USA Fenders are more like 15-18% non-USA content - G&L and EBMM also had to stop using "Made in USA" as well).

6. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

Don’t even respond, ignore idiots.

7. bsman

bsman Strat-O-Master

upload_2020-5-22_19-16-51.jpeg

3bolt79 and shrekfingers like this.
  8. himijendrix

himijendrix Senior Stratmaster

FWIW I have an identical 2012 strat. Serial number on back of headstock, prefixed with ‘US’.

3bolt79 likes this.
  9. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

As mentioned Fender only used the "10xxxxxx" format numbers for about 3 months, roughly January - March 2010; then they changed to the "US10xxxxxx" circa April 2010, which is why ever since then the serial number decals "change over" to the current year circa March each year.

3bolt79 and Andrew Wasson like this.
  10. shrekfingers

:D:D

3bolt79 and wrvond like this.
  11. shrekfingers

I just have to follow up, I was surprised to get a response from Fender so fast, pat your selves on the back you were correct, and I appreciate your responses. Here is what Brett wrote and love the comment about desk top experts hehehe
    [​IMG]
    Brett (Fender)

May 22, 2020, 12:47:33 PM MST

Hi Mike,

Thanks for reaching out. No worries here. Your guitar is absolutely legit. 2010 was the one and only year where Fender did the serial number format like this. I ran the serial number and it came up as a June 2010 American Standard Strat in Olympic White, which is exactly what you have.

I'll add a spec sheet for your reference. Sometimes you have to beware the desktop experts!

So I fire off a message to the buyer and suddenly my asking price was good, I know I originally wasn't going to sell it to him but green is green, I took his cash, rubbed his nose in it as well with the email and made him drive from Indy to get it. I know the questioning the authenticity now was him trying to get me to lower the price, lesson well learned.:whistling:

12. jbylake

jbylake Regular Dude Strat-Talk Supporter

Not to wander too far off here, I know a guy, because of friends, I just can't get far enough away from until they start doing commercial flights to the moon. I just can't come up with the words to describe this guy. He knows everything and anything in the universe, although he's almost illiterate and does math at about the 2nd grade level. Anyway, he informed me my '98 Strat Standard was fake because it only had three springs. I just sighed and walked away, as he was telling everyone within ear shot about his vast knowledge of Strats. BTW, he doesn't play.
    Since then had it blocked, but I imagine he's be sure it was fake if he saw that.

I, myself, rarely answer those "is this fake" questions, because even after decades, I don't feel qualified to answer and would hate to drop some bad info and kill a deal for a couple of folks.:eek:

13. micmurph

micmurph New Member!

Only about three months, is this a collectors item? Should have ask for more.

3bolt79 and Davey77 like this.
  14. Wayfinder

Wayfinder Strat-Talker

Oh it's definitely a bogus guitar, made in a little known shop in Taiwan by two old guys with hand tools. Great copy, but you know, not near as valuable as a real one.

So... uh... what price are you asking for that Strat? ;D

3bolt79 likes this.
  15. MissingSomethin

MissingSomethin Strat-Talker

What price range was he selling it for? Just wondering

3bolt79 likes this.
  16. shrekfingers

I bought it for 735.00 in 2011 and sold it for 700.00

17. shrekfingers

I owned it for 9 years, barely played, just didn't click with it. I could of tried to get more but just wanted to get back close to what I paid. Ill be dead before it becomes a rare collectible item.

Mad Stratter and wrvond like this.
  18. wrvond

wrvond Senior Stratmaster

I would have been all over it at your first post if it had had a rosewood fretboard. Even then I was sorely tempted!
    Glad you got it sold with such a small amount of "rent" paid. :thumb:

19. Mad Stratter

Mad Stratter Strat-Talker

Interesting about the Made In USA - always wondered why it had been changed. Thanks for the info

20. vintageguitarz

vintageguitarz Strat-Talker

ONE HUNDRED PERCENT REAL.

As others have said, you're getting trolled by scammers, tell them you don't need their "business" and buzz off (of more aggressive words to that effect.)

My early "2010" Stratocaster (made in Nov 2009) Am Std also does Not have US in front of the SN. (sorry no pictures) And it's peghead looks identical to yours - logos, MIUSA and single roller tree. Same Fender branded tuners too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.