Questions about neck pocket gaps and cracks.

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, Oct 4, 2021.

1. fos1

fos1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I had an Ibanez Genesis that developed a neck pocket crack in the wild humidity swings of NE Kansas. I even had a humidifier that I ran all of the time in the winter to help with the problem. It was superficial in the finish only. I gave to my son. It doesn't affect the play at all.

The Vintage (brand) V6 had/has a neck pocket crack on the high E side. It is the finish also and finally flacked off. It doesn't affect the play at all. I play it daily. If it wasn't on the high E side I would probably do something about the finish. Out of sight, out of mind. ;)

2. Digiplay

Digiplay Strat-Talker

I have noted that the place the cracks happen is where the vertical and horizontal parts of the body meet (towards the back).

Some of you have said that a gap helps keep the cracks from happening, but when I see photos of Strats that do indeed have a small gap on both sides of the neck, that gap doesn't seem to be consistent from the front to the back, and it appears that there is no gap towards the back, which is the area where the cracks happen.

3. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Hi @Digiplay

I think generally sometimes neck finish cracks just happen.

drp146 likes this.
  4. Digiplay

Digiplay Strat-Talker

Hi stevierayfan91!

Isn't is strange that those cracks don't happen on Telecasters, which have almost identical neck pocket contours? :)

Jerry

5. Willmunny

Willmunny Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I have 3 strats, one has cracks, I can only see them when I am looking for them.
    Tiny ones on each side of the neck on a black guitar

6. Jimdad

Jimdad Strat-Talk Member

I recently discovered a crack a the neck pocket of my squire. I have read on this forum that these cracks are most likely wood cracks and not paint cracks. I had refinished this guitar with nitro about three years ago with nitro. Luckily for me it was a paint crack. This was a well played guitar. My luthier friend said it may have caused by my change of strings form 9’s to 11’s. Has anyone else see this problem?

7. fos1

fos1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

It is my understanding that it is generally finish cracking and not the wood. That has been my experience with my small number of guitars as well.

8. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

I've seen plenty of cracks in the finish there. But I've never had one. I've had gaps and necks so tight I have to use my palm to press them in.

9. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

Wood expands and contracts.. nothing anyone ca do to prevent it...

as the neck expands the heel gets wider...... but, as the body expands the neck pocket gets smaller.... if the fit was originally a precision mating... as the thing expands the paint can crack.. lacquer being more prove than Poly, because poly is more flexible..

r

fos1 and soulman969 like this.
  10. Digiplay

Digiplay Strat-Talker

I'm still curious as to why a Telecaster, which has an almost identical neck pocket profile, isn't prone to these type cracks?

Willmunny likes this.
  11. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

They are.. it's just that Tele players are usually in an old pair of jeans, and a grungy T Shirt.,, and just don't give a rat's azz about 'em... in fact. they get kinda ticked off it they don't show up in the first 20 - 30 years of giggin'.

r

fos1 and soulman969 like this.
  12. soulman969

soulman969 Most Honored Senior Member

You been peekin' again???? :mad: :D

13. JunebugJones

JunebugJones Strat-Talk Member

Neck cracks can be in the finish only, or they can also extend into the wood underneath. Pull off the pickguard and inspect the wood below the neck pocket. If it's a crack that extends into the wood, you might see paint flaking and/or visible cracks in this area. If you have cracks in this area, it couls be due to a hard bump on the tail or headstock. Won't affect playing, but you may want to be tender about hoisting the guitar around by the neck and further aggravating. I have one Strat that has this issue. I've seen suggestions of using wood glue to fill the cracks, but I don't think they're going anywhere; they don't affect the sound or playing. So for now, I'm leaving it alone and just playing the guitar.

drp146 likes this.
  14. budglo

budglo Strat-Talker

Neck gaps seem to be a internet/guitar geek thing . I’ve never cared about it and have great sounding Fenders that have the dreaded neck pocket gaps. I’d rather have a fair amount of gap as opposed to a tight one .

15. Glyderslead

Glyderslead Strat-Talker

I haven’t checked out my guitars or noticed any of these neck cracks on mine, but if they’re good enough for Mr Vai, well, I now feel that I’m missing out on some of this mojo stuff.

What’s the best way to get some..........

16. Digiplay

Digiplay Strat-Talker

Hello Fellow Forum Member budglo!

Does strat-talk.com qualify as an internet/guitar geek thing? :) :) :) :)

Jerry

17. budglo

budglo Strat-Talker

That depends. Do you find yourself drawn to look at your neck pocket and can’t pull yourself away?

18. drp146

drp146 Strat-Talker

I have an 85 MIJ ST-362 E serial which I've owned for over 20 years and gigged with it all that time till the pandemic. It has zero cracks, not even hairline. So it may crack at some point, but I'm not sure what would cause it after all this guitar has been through, including outside performances in really hot, really humid Oklahoma summers.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  19. Digiplay

Digiplay Strat-Talker

Well, I am pulling myself away to come to this Forum :)

But no, I was just curious as to why they happen budglo.

So what's your answer to the question of would you consider the majority of strat-talk.com members as internet/guitar geeks?

20. budglo

budglo Strat-Talker

I dont have an opinion of strat talk overall. It’s been very helpful over the years . Im sure there are guitar geeks among us as it’s comprised with people. As far as neck pocket cracks, they happen for various reasons , pocket too tight , people being careless,etc. none of my 3 Strats have them and 2 have the truss rod adjustment at the heel.

drp146 likes this.