Join Strat-Talk Today

Quilter 100 Watt 2lb amp head?!

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by apm1991, Nov 15, 2019.

1. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

I worry that I'd lose that thing in all the garbage in my van.

2. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist Strat-Talk Supporter

It fits in the glove compartment.

Bob the builder, vid1900 and apm1991 like this.
  3. Swingbass

Swingbass Senior Stratmaster

I really like my Quilter MicroBlock 45. It sounds much better than the Katana 50 I had. Although both are Class D amplifiers I think Quilter played around with the pre-amp and Damping Factor which took the harshness out of the sound the Katana had for my ears. This pedal board, a guitar and 2 cables is my entire gigging rig. I play into a MESA Widebody 1x12 and it is awesome.
    upload_2019-11-15_15-12-1.jpeg

4. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

That ones had my interest for a while. Couldn't find one anywhere near me when I was amp shopping. That's when I bought my katana

apm1991 and Cerb like this.
  5. Cerb

Did you get it yet? :whistling:

apm1991 likes this.
  6. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Mr quilter is the same guy who makes QSC power amplifiers.
    I don't have a quilter, but i do have a massive QSC dual mono block power amplifier. It is highly regarded in the professional sound reinforcement industry.
    It's incredibly well built. It has more power than a small city.

So.... if that's any indication of the guitar amp side of his business, I think it will be good quality.

7. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Strat-O-Master

I nabbed one of the last Microblock 45's at MF's SDOTD this morning, should come Thursday. If it can function as a backup for a small bar gig, I'll be happy.

apm1991 and Bob the builder like this.
  8. apm1991

apm1991 Senior Stratmaster

nope :( still waiting

Cerb likes this.
  9. Cerb

[​IMG]

apm1991 likes this.
  10. Swingbass

Swingbass Senior Stratmaster

@Musekatcher : I played my first gig with the MB45 2 weeks ago using the rig above in my post. It was a VFW Hall that seats about 200+ people along with a large dance floor. It's a high ceiling hall with decent acoustics. Essentially 1 slap back echo's worth or reflections. I had no issue powering it using my Mesa 1 x 12 Widebody and a small 1 x 12 cab on the other side of the stage as well. With these 2 speakers I was at 4 Ohms so the full 45W. I played my second gig with the MicroBlock 45 this past Friday. It was a medium sized restaurant/bar/dance floor. The room was acoustically good and there were about 120-130 people there. I used just the 8 Ohm Widebody that makes the MB45 a 33W amp. I didn't even have to push it at all. Bottom line is you'll have no issues with small and medium venues unless you guys play really loudly. Then it doesn't matter anyway as it's all mush at that point.

You'll love it, I know I do.

Cerb likes this.
  11. jumpwing

jumpwing Strat-Talk Member

I've been gigging with the MicroBlock 45 for almost 2 years now and it's been great. The tonal choices are very limited with the single knob but there are ways around that with other things in your signal chain. I had a speaker cable made with 1/4" on one end and spade connectors on the other so in an emergency I can connect to any speaker as long as I can access the back of it. (Note: make sure to disconnect the existing spades before running your Quilter into it because it WILL feed juice back into the combo's head and do weird things).

Pat Quilter is the "Q" in "QSC" so the quality is going to be reliable.

As Swingbass said, pushing the MB45 through an 8ohm speaker (the most common type of combo speaker) will only net you 33W. You need to push it through a 4ohm to get the full 45W. Right now I'm pairing it with an 8ohm Eminence Ragin' Cajun (10" 75W) and it sounds great.

You're going to like the 101. Make sure you take your time exploring it and play around with ALL the settings.

apm1991 likes this.
  12. apm1991

apm1991 Senior Stratmaster

Got the Quilter... plugged into a 4x12 Line 6 cab... wow! the sound is amazing and loud as hell! Great buy! It weighs practically nothing also... definitely recommend it.. can't wait to play it at a show and have the sound guy tell me to turn down

BallisticSquid and Cerb like this.
  13. Cerb

Yes! Can you get some break up from it?

HNQD!

apm1991 and BallisticSquid like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.