Rate my Gilmour Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by DavidGilmour, Oct 6, 2020.

Whats your opinion on the finished result?

Poll closed Nov 24, 2020.
  1. I love it

18 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. I hate it

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. I want it

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. Sell it and buy a real one!

9 vote(s)
    30.0%
  5. can you make me one?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. hamerfan

hamerfan Strat-Talk Member

I am sure that in a case of a increased hum its a bad connection to ground. Resolder the connection and check the path to ground. Check the connection from bridge/trem claw to ground is good.
    About shielding:
    There are different kinds of noises which can get into your system like radio frequencies, 60 Hz hum, static noises and so on. First: you can't eliminate them completely even if you use active pickups with a high impedance - you can reduce them more or less.
    With copper foil you can eliminate the noise and the RF quite much and reduce the hum a bit. But its a matter of doing it right: Use copper foil with conductive glue, make sure that all points of the laidout copperfoil to the jack ground are good, twist the pickup wires and use a shielded wire between the volume pot and the output jack.

2. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox

Not the one for me, thanks.

Could always paint it and change the pups though, that’s the beauty of Leo’s erector set.

3. DavidGilmour

DavidGilmour Strat-Talker

i see in your profile picture a marshal amp.. it looks like the one i have.. what model is that? mine is the MG DFX100

4. DavidGilmour

absolutely love the wood pattern on this.. what type of wood is that?

5. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

i was a DSL 40CR - loved it but I had to part ways with it unfortunately. Only thing that bothered me about it was how darn bright the OD channels were. Weird thinking that about a Marshall but if I turned the treble to just 12 o clock the tone was an ice pick even on the neck pickup.

6. CandyAppleHead

CandyAppleHead Strat-O-Master

I had a DSL50 head and 4x12 cab but sold them last year. Same thing for me - it was incredibly toppy. I had the treble on about 3 and the presence all the way down and it still sounded bright.

EC Strat likes this.
  7. EC Strat

And the thing is - once you get the treble down to 3 the highs fall off a cliff and it turns to mud

8. DavidGilmour

Interesting.. Mine sounded like that with the stock pickups on my Original mim strat. When I changed the pickups to tex-mex it was a huge improvement in tone. Not so sharp. Then the emg dg20 and the amp became what it should have been for all other guitars.. I guess the quality of the signal into the dsp makes a huge difference

EC Strat likes this.
  9. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

Nice enough looking guitar but, IMHO, putting a Fender logo on it just screams ‘fake!’ Before ‘looks a nice guitar, what is it?’. I’m with Guy Named Sue on that one.

10. EC Strat

My pickups on my Strat are very bright so I think it was a bad combo. I noticed with my LP it sounded significantly better without the high end spike as bad.

Those EMG DG20’s are great pickups

11. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Senior Stratmaster

This. ↑

...and that. ↑

12. DavidGilmour

its a super fake.. but its all mine.. just received my hard case for it and having my first practice on sunday coming up.. cant wait to turn the volume up on this.

13. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

See where you’re coming from and it’s probably worthy, quality wise, of a Fender logo. I’m sure you’ve no intention to deceive, enjoy! Hope it sounds as good as it looks................especially when you hit 11!