Rate your eBay/Reverb experiences

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Ruscio, Aug 1, 2020.

How would you rate your overall experience with eBay and/or Reverb?

1. Positive

26 vote(s)
    76.5%
  2. Mixed

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. Negative

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. Ruscio

Ruscio Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

I think that bad experiences may be more likely to prompt posts to vent or complain, which can create the impression that negativity is common. I've read many people trashing eBay and Reverb and complaining about being burned, and I have no doubt that this happens. There are jerks out there who will ruin things for good people. But I'm really curious to hear from a broader, more representative sampling of users. How would you rate your overall experience with these sites?

I'd like to start by noting that I just had an exceptionally nice time selling something on eBay. I sold a guitar for which the buyer is a perfect fit. We had fairly extensive communication over a couple of days and reached a deal. I'd planned to ship it, but he only lives about 1.5 hours away so we did a local pickup instead. We had a wonderful conversation last night while making arrangements to meet, and again this afternoon when we met for the pickup. We have a lot of shared interests, even beyond guitars. This might even be the beginning of a friendship.

I'm omitting details b/c they're unimportant. I just wanted to post an example of a really, really nice transaction on eBay, a 100% win-win situation. In fact, I've yet to have an eBay experience as a buyer or a seller that was in any way negative. I don't sell often, I buy more, but it's always been at least professional, if not outright friendly. I've only used Reverb once, to buy a fairly expensive guitar, and that was a terrific experience, too. This is my first try at posting a poll, but if I'm allowed to vote I'm all in on "positive"!

3bolt79 likes this.
  2. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy Strat-O-Master

Feebay has been a real crapshoot for me. The sellers feedback is very important. I have 100% positive feedback and have sold a bunch of stuff lately with all very happy buyers. It REALLY sucks when FeeBay keeps your money for weeks until they tell you it’s okay you can have it now. I wonder if you total up how many millions of dollars they hold back every day, how much they earn in interest/investment with our money every day?

Depending on what you’re buying, you can get burned real bad. Autos and Pro-audio you have about a 50% chance of getting someone’s problem been there done that WAY too many times.

You cannot leave negative feedback for buyers anymore. So when some dumb$heet buys your item and then doesn’t pay for it, FeeBay doesn’t care anymore and nothing happens.

Feebay customer service is terrible.

So far, I have only bought things from Reverb. As it sits right now, I’ve had only good luck from them. It seems more personal on Reverb. Both my 83 Walnut Strat and new Daybreak Tele were from Reverb.

3bolt79 and Ruscio like this.
  3. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Strat-Talk Supporter

I've had pretty decent luck with Reverb. I try to price my listings reasonably and my stuff sells pretty quick. Made about 100 total transactions so far and everyone I've dealt with has been really good. The company itself is another matter though. The 1.5% increase sucks.

Just listed my first item on eBay a couple of days ago. A little leery of selling on there. As much as I complain about Reverb's fee's I do feel confident selling knowing I'm not going to get ripped off.

4. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Nothing but positive experiences buying or selling on eBay or buying on Reverb. I’ve been lucky, I suppose, although I also suspect my total volume of online buying and selling is considerably less than it is for many of you.

duzie and Ruscio like this.
  5. CigBurn

CigBurn You should see the other guy. Strat-Talk Supporter

Out of about 400 ebay purchases I have had a total of two bad experiences that were not self inflicted and one that was. That's pretty solid odds IMHO

I've had zero bad experiences on Reverb, but haven't bought enough from there (maybe ten things?) to really say one way or the other.

3bolt79, duzie and Ruscio like this.
  6. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Strat-Talk Supporter

All positive on eBay thus far except for one incident around 15 years ago where I was left negative feedback as a seller but even this was quickly remedied by returning the favour and when common sense prevailed the idiot retracted the unfair feedback.

7. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Not worth the time to peck it out...

3bolt79 and Nick-O like this.
  8. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Strat-Talker

I've only bought from Reverb once and it was a positive experience mainly due to the seller being a straight shooter and went out of his way to make sure the guitar I bought was not damaged in any way and was securely packaged for shipping. He even followed up with me after it was delivered to make sure I was completely satisfied.
    As far as Ebay I buy from them all the time including parts for outdoor power equipment, vehicles and household items; never had an issue that wasn't resolved in a timely professional manner.
    The seller's feedback will often tell you a lot about who you're dealing with.

9. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Senior Stratmaster

Buying or selling?

I won’t sell on either site, but I do buy.

3bolt79, Nick-O and BlurgyWurgyWibble like this.
  10. BlurgyWurgyWibble

BlurgyWurgyWibble Strat-Talker

This. Also, a lot of used equipment on eBay seems to sell for so close to retail, you may as well just buy new.
    The seller's fees make it more or less impossible to get the 'right' price for your stuff and then, unless you insist on collection only, there's a good chance you'll see neither your item or your money again. The business model suits some things and not others I find. Small, low'ish value items, sure. Anything over £500, no way!

I have also largely given up buying smaller stuff from eBay (new) because its so often a fake UK seller shipping from China and I end up waiting 5 weeks for it to arrive. That can be hugely irritating when you want to buy components for a project or something and one item on your BOM takes over a month to come through the letter box.

11. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Strat-O-Master

All positive, though I haven't done ebay in years. Damn...I probably just jinxed myself. Dangit!

3bolt79, duzie and Ruscio like this.
  12. soulman969

soulman969 Strat-O-Master

Between Reverb and Ebay I've done about 60 sales and a bit more than half that many purchases. My experience has been uniformly good on both sites.

I have a 100% rating on Ebay and a Preferred Seller status from Reverb with the badges for Quick Response and Quick Shipping but I'm also a very cautious seller/buyer. I research sold prices thoroughly and I do my best to vet both buyers and sellers.

Just one "no-pay" on Reverb and one gripe from an Ebay buyer who was looking to get a post sale discount with a groundless complaint. He may have tried but he didn't get it. No other issues of any kind on either site as a buyer or a seller.

My major issue with Reverb is that since commercial sellers have more or less taken over it's been more difficult to sell there. My last two major sales have been on Ebay and I've begun to list locally on CL far more than I have in the past.

Ruscio likes this.
  13. Ruscio

You make a lot of really good points here. I don't want to accuse those who've had a bad go of it on these sites as being the problem, but... I do wonder if those who themselves have better feedback encounter fewer difficulties. I'm not a heavy user, but I go out of my way to maintain a 100% positive rating on eBay. I do this for many reasons, perhaps the effort I make to get along as well as possible with buyers is at least partly reciprocated?

3bolt79 and soulman969 like this.
  14. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Most Honored Senior Member

Bought my first electric, an Affinity Telecaster, on eBay. That was so long ago that I was able to find a good deal by searching the misspelling of the name "Squire."

That was it. One experience, all good.

3bolt79 likes this.
  15. Dougeryb

Dougeryb Strat-O-Master

Positive for 99% of transactions on both.

Only negative I can recall was for a stuffed animal. I won it for the minimum bid due to no other bidders. Next day, the seller tells me they lost the item and I'm SOL.

3bolt79 likes this.
  16. Hydr0

Hydr0 Strat-O-Master

I only bought once on Reverb, but it was my guitar, a big purchase for me. Needless to say, i was nervous, but the guy was great. Honest as can be, friendly and packed the guitar very well. It's the smallest sample size that could be, but it's one vote for the positive column. I'm planning to sell a couple of pedals on there shortly...I just don't use them, so maybe i'll get an idea on the sell side soon too. i won't be as nervous about those.

3bolt79 likes this.
  17. soulman969

soulman969 Strat-O-Master

I always operate as if it was my business and treat buyers the same way I always have throughout my business career. IME a prompt response to any question or issue both pre-sale and post-sale always scores points.

I ship within 24 hours. Assure that accurate tracking is provided and remain in contact with the buyer throughout even to the point of confirming the item arrived safely and is as expected. I treat buyers just as I like to be treated.

I believe that if I go out of my way to assure satisfaction that 99% of my buyers will reciprocate with honest positive feedback and it's worked. That feedback helps others to know I can be fully trusted as a seller and as a buyer.

If we keep doin' it right IME the results often speak for themselves.

18. mad axe man

mad axe man Senior Stratmaster

so far ebay has been great never did reverb yet...but now i gotta pay 13% sales tax for selling and shipping BS on ebay?????? .....bye bye ebay

Ruscio and duzie like this.
  19. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I've been fortunate. My 3000$ eBay purchase, from Japan, came through no problems. It wasn't til after I thought "what have I done?"
    Turned out my seller was "most honorable.".

Same with reverb. Only to the amount of 800$. No problems.

I've never had a problem with small purchases on either site.

Ruscio likes this.
  20. Ruscio

Yikes, why is sales tax so high? Is that a Canadian thing, or is it really high in your province? Please excuse my ignorance of how this works in Canada, just curious.

3bolt79 likes this.