Real Strat ( Photos)

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Mnbend, Oct 25, 2020.

1. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

The pickguard screw above the switch is in a different position than fenders, it's in the "import" position.

Seems like Fender plastics are usually a darker parchment white, instead of the bright white plastics like this.

Switch appears to be the thinner type for imports, and the switch tip is the skinnier kind as well.

A lot of times, squier levels seem to have the super-shiny chromed out bridges, and fenders tend to look a bit duller.

But with a pickguard and covers change, I probably wouldn't be able to say conclusively that it's not a fender from these angles.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    axejock likes this.
  2. JamieHenry

JamieHenry Strat-Talker

Does that mean Starcrawler is a lesser band than Squiercrawler?

Mr_10awg and axejock like this.
  3. Handsome McClane

Handsome McClane Strat-Talker Silver Member

I remember them having them at Costco for $80. Basically a toy.

axejock likes this.
  4. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I assure you that this is a full size guitar that is totally original. It does have a 3 ply pickguard. But you folks are making some great observations....I'll post the rest of the photos tonight!

5. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

OK, the consensus among the experts seems to be that this guitar is NOT a Fender, and that is correct. There are some very keen eyes among the experts on this site! The guitar is actually the one that I bought and posted about in this forum about two weeks ago. It is called an "Ariana" and is made by the very large Aria company that is located in China and makes all sorts of different guitars for sale in the US. I don't believe that it has any relation to Fender at all, except that it is probably one of the closest copy of a real Strat that I have encountered. I bought the guitar complete and original for $35! I have no idea how old it is. All I have done to it is completely disassemble it, clean thoroughly, refit some of the critical joints, reset the neck and added new strings. So all told, I have less than $45 in it and it came out looking almost like new with an amazing amount of Stratocaster detail. Nice neck, full size body, fully functioning pickups, controls, tremolo, and a really great finish! I love to buy these "cheapo" guitars just to restore them to original appearance and condition and then see how good or bad they sound. This one amazed me in its comfort, playability, and range of quality tones when played through my Deluxe Reverb Amp without pedals. Usually when I get cheap guitars like this I either use the body for a custom build OR donate it to some young or new "wanna be" player to help them get started in this cool hobby. I can only wish that I could have had a guitar like this WAY back when I got started...it is really nice. This guitar is what it is...not a counterfeit attempt to build a genuine Strat....I, too, can most always spot a fake. But I do love to "play" with guitars at both ends (and in the middle) of the cost spectrum. Fun, fun! Here's the other photos. (yes, the tremolo cavity cover is mounted slightly crooked, but it does have the offset middle holes.)

CIMG1461.JPG CIMG1460.JPG CIMG1462.JPG CIMG1459.JPG

_MS_ likes this.
  6. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Senior Stratmaster

That's interesting, I was thinking it could be an Aria STG, but I wasn't sure if they were sold in the US.