Really having a hard time trading this for a Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by valvestate, Jan 13, 2021.

1. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Hi, @valvestate

It may be good idea to keep that lovely Burny. They don't make it now.

2. valvestate

valvestate Strat-Talker

Thanks both!

So far I guess I will keep it not unless there's a super cool Fender Strat that offers me that I can't resist. Like maybe a Butterscotch Player in SSS or some American Standard / Professional (wishful thinking) :cool:

drp146, 3bolt79 and Chmason85 like this.
  3. Chmason85

Chmason85 Strat-Talker

How much were you trying to sell it for?

3bolt79 likes this.
  4. valvestate

valvestate Strat-Talker

$715 USD only

3bolt79 and Chmason85 like this.
  5. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

It would be easier to sell if the D string tuner wasn’t put on crooked. I would reposition it if you can do so without the old screw hole showing.

OllieWhite, simoncroft and Chmason85 like this.
  6. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

Actually they all look pretty crooked.

[​IMG]

7. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Senior Stratmaster

It's one of the newer Chinese-made ones, I think it's an RLG-55. I'm loving it so far.

image.jpeg

simoncroft and 3bolt79 like this.
  8. smoades

smoades New Member!

They are very good - made by Fernandes, I used to have a Burny LP custom model, regret selling it

drp146 likes this.
  9. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Pretty much.
    Burnys (Burnies?) are great guitars, but they are an import and will always be viewed as 2nd-class by those who are unfamiliar with them.
    In the US, if it doesn't say "Gibson" or "Fender"... or one of the other recognizable names, it's going to be a tough sell.

One reason is these were never sold widely in the US.
    Gibson and Fender did not see the value of the Japanese market in the 60s and 70s, and did not actively market there. The Japanese and Chinese manufacturers such as Burny, and Tokai filled in the gap, and they did such a great job that Fender and Gibson were always "catching up" in that market, and sales in the US were restricted our outright prohibited.

Most Fender owners are familiar with and respect Tokai. Burny is the same level for Gibson copies.

But you are looking to trade across-brands. That will be a tough sell, much as trading a MiM Fender for a low-end Gibson Tribute, despite comparable value.
    Better to outright sell the Burny on a Les Paul forum... someone will snatch it up and probably for a better value than a trade for an MiM Fender.

drp146 and simoncroft like this.
  10. larabee869986

larabee869986 New Member!

WTF! Your guitar has been strung super badly, man. Why do you have your strings go under and over the tailpiece????? Like all Les Pauls, it should be strung like in the attached pics. String it up properly and maybe you will want to keep your beautiful guitar.

Attached Files:

drp146 likes this.
  11. muddyh2o

muddyh2o Strat-Talk Member

Top wrapping is pretty common. It reduces the break angle of the string without having to raise the tailpiece, as many players prefer when the tailpiece is flush to the body. The reduced angle is also suppose to help reduce string breakage on heavy bending, and also gives the strings more of a slinky feeling. Some say it gives more sustain etc as well, but I don't know about all that.

I tried it on one of my Gibsons in the past, and it wasn't for me, but many folks do it.

12. brashboy

brashboy Strat-Talk Member

MLP does not allow - last I looked - any les-paul-shaped guitar to be posted in their FS classifieds, unless it is Gibson or Epi branded.

TGP probably a better option.

Should sell quickly on reverb and maybe bring the best price. Burneys have a top reputation and this one is from a good era, I think.

drp146 likes this.
  13. MusicManD

MusicManD Strat-Talk Member

Ah, man, if I had another Strat sitting around, I'd be game. Where are you located? I could probably dig up a MIM Standard around here if you're interested.

14. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Silver Member

That is the problem, I think. It's a more desirable guitar in the US and Europe, but it's going to wind up more expensive buying from you in Singapore if someone has to pay shipping, import duty and tax. You might be able to get a deal locally for a MIJ or CIJ Strat?

drp146, Neil.C, s5tuart and 1 other person like this.
  15. bf1024

bf1024 Strat-Talk Member

First of all, if it's NOT a Gibson, It's NOT a LesPaul. Never heard of Burny, so in my opinion it's only worth 100 bucks. If you want to swap it for a Strat, only thing you might be able to swap it for is a squire...but I don't consider (strat) Squires Stratocasters anyway. The only way I'd consider taking a Les Paul in trade for my American made Strat is if it was a Gibson LesPaul Custom + they'd have to add about 500 bucks. I'm not much of a Gibson guy, I've owed several and don't like any of them...especially LP's

16. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Silver Member

The fact you know nothing about Burny guitars is entirely up to you. The fact you then decide to offer a valuation based on your lack of knowledge shows chutzpah, to put it politely. :sneaky:

drp146, Mustafa Pants, Neil.C and 9 others like this.
  17. CB91710

The issue is with counterfeits, including reproductions/replicas.
    If it doesn't say "Gibson" on the headstock, it's fine on MLP in the proper classified forum.
    There's an Eastman listed right now, and IIRC, there was a Burny that sold a week or two ago.

This issue is not unique to MLP... it's the same here and on all other forums managed by EnthusedDigital.
    They have been contacted by the lawyers representing Gibson and Fender regarding fakes, and images of fakes are not permitted, nor are sales or links to sources for fake decals.

Neil.C and simoncroft like this.
  18. CB91710

And this is exactly why it is difficult to trade a Burny with a Fender owner.

No, it's not a Les Paul.
    But it is worth more than most any Epiphone, and worth a pair of Squiers.

It's almost as bad as Ford/Chevy/Harley/Metric.
    You might have a perfectly good Kawasaki Vulcan that's worth $10k, but you're not going to be able to trade it for even a Sportster that's worth half that.

drp146 likes this.
  19. Slartybartfast

Slartybartfast Strat-Talk Member

These are great guitars. I've played several.

drp146 likes this.
  20. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Hi, @bf1024

As far as I know Gibson Les Paul Customs start at $4, 700.
    Not saying Am. Strats are bad but seems fairly unfeasible somebody would trade away their Gibson LPC + $500 bucks.

Edit to say thank you @CB91710 for price update on Gibson Custom.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    drp146, Neil.C, simoncroft and 3 others like this.