Reason not to degloss my neck

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by spyglass, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Merglet

Merglet Strat-Talker

Are you referring to the "Easy Eraser"?

2. tschucha

tschucha Strat-O-Master

Here's my 2 cents. I battled back and forth on whether or not this is a good idea. I do think that it is more comfortable to play on a satin finish neck than a glossy one. I recently purchased a lawsuit era Univox Les Paul with a glossy neck. It's a 40 year old non-collectible guitar so I had no fear of hurting the future value of the guitar. My luthier redid the frets and when I picked up the guitar I asked him about it. His opinion matches a lot of the opinions here. No harm unless you go crazy with the sand paper. And it will buff back out very easily if you change your mind.

I bought the black and white scotch bright pads (white is the finest, black one step coarser) and did the back of the neck. It took less than a minute. You can see a slight bit less shininess but not very much at all. I found that with the whit pad it wasn't as slick as I like so I did it with the black pad and it feels pretty good. I'm tempted to try the green and give it a little more scuffing.

I'd be careful if you go with sandpaper and even ith the scotch birigt it will generate a little dust. I wrapped the tuners with some saran wrap and sealed the body with a plastic bag before scuffing. Maybe overkill but the rest of the guitar stayed dust free throughout the process.
    That being said I still have two strats with very shiny necks that don't feel as nice as the satin finish ones. I haven't dome them yet and might not.

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  3. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

No sir, it is a Scotch-Bright pad, I do not know what an easy eraser is...

It is just a non-aggressive Scotch-Brite, usually in the paint dept. of a home center. It is the finest grit one they make.

002.JPG

4. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Senior Stratmaster

This is all you need to remove any stickiness..
    626418.jpg

chicago slim likes this.
  5. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Most Honored Senior Member

I've already commented in this thread on the benefits of de-glossing, de-satining, de-whatever else of necks, but I just wanted to say one more thing because this is not an exact science...

I have three guitars that I play now. A Tokai Strat with a worn glossy neck and 7.25 board, an AM Standard with a now sanded neck and 9.5 board, and a Les Paul with a sanded neck and 12.0 board.

The palm of my left hand sweats profusely, no matter what I do. Talc, rosin, cold water. It just drips sweat. To be able to play guitar, I just couldn't accomplish that with any degree of finish on the neck... silk or gloss. It had to go back to bare wood.

What's interesting however, is that I haven't sanded the neck of the Tokai with its narrower neck and radius. Sure its really worn because of 36 years of use, but there is still a degree of gloss poly on the back of the neck. As I said above though, its not an exact science. Size of hands, sweaty or not, and your style of play... handling the neck all play a part. I obviously attack playing the Tokai neck differently than the other two guitars, and haven't resorted to sanding.

My two pees worth anyway. Time for a cup of tea now... :thumb::D

Ruscio likes this.
  6. MartyJ

MartyJ New Member!

I saw a youtube thing with the Fender custom shop head luthier, who said that PURE carnuba wax on the back of the neck will reduce the stickiness feeling, for a while anyway. Might be worth trying if you're unsure.

7. Gevalt

Gevalt Strat-O-Master

Jimmy Page and EVH did it. We have more time to navel gaze out loud now :D

8. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

That had nothing to do with the finish being a problem. Both wanted to change the thickness/taper/shape of the neck. Page had it done to his Les Paul. The one he got from Walsh.

So...nothing to do with a sticky gloss finish.

chicago slim and Gevalt like this.
  9. Gevalt

Gevalt Strat-O-Master

Thanks. Too bad we can't use talc anymore, eh? I happen to like the gloss poly but I have dry, crinkled hands.

fezz parka likes this.
  10. Ruscio

Ruscio Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I see your point, but (a) let's not be disingenuous about not saying which one is "right" and "wrong" when you posted pics with big red x's vs. a green check mark and (b) regardless of how one holds the neck, whatever part of your hand is touching a glossy neck will experience a lot more friction than if it was a satin finish, raw wood, or even just "deglossed". If that added friction makes it harder to play, which it does for me (and apparently a lot of other people, judging from the number of web hits on searches for de-glossing), I'd much rather change the neck than my grip. I don't doubt your knowledge, skills, or proficiency, nor that having a variety of grips for different purposes can be useful. I'm just suggesting that altering technique rather than equipment isn't necessarily a better idea.

davidKOS likes this.
  11. Ruscio

Ruscio Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I think a lot of the "sticky neck" concern has to do with additional factors, including how much one sweats and the humidity levels. I've got sweaty palms, so I can feel a substantial difference between gloss and satin finishes. But during our winter months, even a bit of late fall and early spring, when the humidity is low around here, I can't feel much difference any more and I like the glossy neck just as well.

12. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

I have no problem with stickiness. :D

davidKOS likes this.
  13. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

If my necks feel really sticky i just wipe them down with a microfiber cloth. If it got really bad I wouldn't be afraid to wax it

davidKOS likes this.
  14. davidKOS

davidKOS not posting these days

Well, I seem to be in the minority on this issue, as in many other topics in guitar world. Frankly it's never been an issue at all to me, on any of the many stringed instruments I've played.

Please do what you feel is best for you.

15. drakewithers

drakewithers Strat-Talk Member

I've been thinking about doing this. Correct me if I've got the wrong idea, but with a Fender it seems like it would be a good idea to take the neck off for this project. It would solve the dust problem and make it easier to hit the whole neck without bumping up against the body. It would also give you an opportunity to sand down the heel while you're at it, if that's your thing. Am I missing something?

[EDIT] I realize tschucha was working with a Les Paul; thinking generally here.

16. tschucha

tschucha Strat-O-Master

If you are working with a strat then for sure take the neck off first.

17. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

I prefer glossy. I'd never artificially degloss a neck these days, although guilty in my younger stupid years.

18. Circle_H

Circle_H Strat-Talk Member

Once I sand my Washburn LP. Stick tape for protection then wet sand#1200, its fine and no dust at all. When it's done with tiny material, you could still polish it back if you dun like the result