Join Strat-Talk Today

Receiving a new, factory boxed guitar from one of the big online sellers

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by axejock, Sep 4, 2019.

1. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster

I have lots of guitars and believe it or not, none of them has ever come from a GC, SW, MF, etc. in the fully assembled, brand new condition. I was looking for a good price on a Squire Affinity Tele and found one on Labor Day Sale price at MF that was too good to pass up. It will arrive here on next Monday, and I got to thinking about its arrival and what to look for on receipt. Obviously, the first thing would be to inspect the box for damage that might have damaged the guitar inside. But if all of that is OK and I proceed to unpack the guitar, is there a certain sequence of things I should use to inspect the thing for physical condition and then follow that with a function/playability test? What sort of things would you folks observe on something like this that would make you want to return it for a refund? This is definitely not a big buck guitar, but I don't want poor finishes, alignments, fittings etc. that are not up to par. If it's just needs a setup and some minor fret work, I'd think that would be OK. I just don't want to rush through this process only to find that I overlooked something and miss the time allotted for product return. Guidance?

2. Chubbles

Chubbles Strat-Talker

My last online purchase had a hole in the box. I could hardly breath. To my suprise, I couldn't find a single thing wrong with it. No matter how hard I looked.

I think we must be related.

3. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

With the Mexican stuff, and the Squiers, I check to make sure that the truss rod works, none of the screw holes, strap buttons, plastics screws parents stripped.

Check the frets, nut height, check he electronics, fit and finish. Look for any defects.

4. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

D'Angelico Premier EXL-1 from Amazon and a Harley Benton P90 Goldtop from Thomann.
    No issues with either one, truss rod was a little tight on the D'Angelico but it works just fine and plays nicely.

axejock and 3bolt79 like this.
  5. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

Oh and out of six mexican and three Squiers, I had to send one of the Squiers, and three of the Mexican ones back due to stripped holes, and non functioning truss rods. I sent one American back this year for a truss rod. The other two Americans I got were 100%fine

axejock likes this.
  6. Colnago1

Colnago1 Strat-Talker

What are you doing to his parents?

7. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

Are you already looking to return it? Ya ain't even got it yet. When you get it...look it over and play it. That should tell you.

8. axejock

Fully agreed! My concern here is that this is the first time that I have bought a lower-priced new guitar from one of the "big" online sellers. As I understand it, they just send the guitar to the buyer without ever even looking at its condition and just ship it in the factory packaging. I'm not too worried about it as I have a specific use for a guitar like this and am happy that I found it at such a good price. I guess I don't know how well the factory packages these things and what sort of quality inspection it has received at the factory. It would actually have to be pretty bad for me to send it back!

9. clydethecat

clydethecat Strat-Talker

I got a MIM 50s Classic Esquire back in 2006. When it arrived the neck had a bow so I started in on the truss rod. It was completely slack, it took 1.5 turns before I even met with any resistance.

But that, and adjusting the bridge, was all it took. Well that and changing the pickup for a Fred Stuart Blackguard A3. The guitar has been great ever since.

axejock likes this.
  10. JP68

JP68 Strat-Talker

I've only purchased one guitar online, sight unseen. A MIM Deluxe Strat from Sweetwater. All I did upon receipt was plug it in and play it. It was still in tune! I guess they do their "55 Point Inspection" before shipping out new guitars... Mine came in the Original Fender box, which had been opened and resealed by SW (I guess to perform the aforementioned 55 Point Inspection), and that was inside a larger SW box with extra padding. Everything arrived safe and sound. Good luck!

hardwired and axejock like this.
  11. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

The only time I've had issues was when I bought a guitar from the store off the wall!

We got my daughter a Fender Duo Sonic, which is MiM, for Christmas. Before putting it under the tree, I took it out of the box, visually inspected the neck for warping, looked over the neck and body finish for scratches or nicks, and inspected the metal parts for scratches. Then I plugged it in and tested the tuners and all of the controls. I tuned it up and checked the intonation.

All was ducky, so back in the box it went. If I found setup issues I could fix, I would have made the adjustments.

Deathray and axejock like this.
  12. axejock

I bought this one from MF (Musicians Friend). I don't think they do the "55 point inspection" like Sweetwater does? Anyway, I'm pretty confident that this one will be OK, unless there is physical damage, functional issues, or poor fit & finish issues that I can't fix. Squire has really "upped their game" on some models that I have seen/played!

JP68 and 3bolt79 like this.
  13. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

I've gotten guitars with dodgy setup from Sweetwater, so I don't put too much stock in their "55 point inspection".

14. jjudas

jjudas Strat-O-Master

Just open the box and check the guitar.

Bob the builder and axejock like this.
  15. DeMelo

DeMelo Strat-Talker

Just to be entirely safe, take pictures of everything as you unbox the guitar and check if it looks, plays and sets up all right.

I bought a Gibson SG by mail once and it came with a cracked fingerboard. I returned it (which was a PAIN IN THE SADDLESEATER) and got a new one. This time it was all right.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    axejock likes this.
  16. axejock

Those are GREAT threads! I will use that approach, but maybe a "little less" detailed? After all, I didn't pay as much as you did for my guitar! ;););)

vid1900 likes this.
  17. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

Must not of read the fine print. Setups aren't included in the inspection. They just make sure everything works, and there's no dents and dings on the guitar anywhere. You can pay them to set it up, you can have them change the nut too.

JB74, axejock and 3bolt79 like this.
  18. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

You can never have too much detail.

Often there are no hi-rez pictures on the entire web. Just the same, Fender supplied pics on SW, GC, MF, AMS.....

Good pics help others who may have questions, and future generations will have perfect evidence of what was actually shipped from the factory.

You must have got a great deal, it's hard to get a brand new guitar for less than the $199 I paid for that Thinline.

axejock and 3bolt79 like this.
  19. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

upped their game? Ha. Here's a Classic Vibe Jazzmaster, note the edge of the fret board on the high E side, first fret. That's a $400 guitar.
    [​IMG]

That shouldn't have left the factory, but it did.

JB74, 3bolt79 and axejock like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.