Join Strat-Talk Today

Receiving a new, factory boxed guitar from one of the big online sellers

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by axejock, Sep 4, 2019.

1. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

years ago, i opened a fender factory sealed box shipped to me from gc - a 2013 classic series 60's tele in CAR and the fit and finish was flawless.

but the fretwork was some of the worst i have seen, flat fret tops that looked like they were rough sanded and sorta polished, but had nicely finished ends though...

i sent it back and bought the same exact guitar used with a very close serial number to the new one i just returned and it was exactly like the returned one !

they must have had a new person on the line the week mine was made or something.

anything can happen in a factory, you gotta check it like you would anything else you buy new.

3bolt79 likes this.
  2. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster

That is the kind of thing that should NOT get out of the factory, but unfortunately it does and not just on "lower end" guitars! If I found that on my "new" guitar, it WOULD be returned. I've actually never seen that condition before!

3bolt79 likes this.
  3. axejock

Well, this guitar I bought was a "Labor Day Special" and is called a "Squire Telecaster Special Edition Affinity HH with matching headstock, Metallic Orange finish, Black pickguard and all "Black Chrome" metal parts. I had to go back and forth with them several times because of errors in the listing. First of all it said the guitar had a "top-loader bridge" while the photos clearly show the through body string loading. Secondly, they said all metal parts were "chrome", not the "black chrome" as shown. Then, they call the color metallic orange while the photos show a definite non-metallic, burnt orange finish. After about 5 email chats with them I decided it was OK, and placed the order. So maybe this gives a little insight into why I am a little "nervous" about receipt and inspection. And just for grins, they had/have it priced at $159.99 including shipping. I have seen it on other sites at $200 to $250. Not a bad deal? Here's what it should look like:

orange tele 2.jpg orange tele.jpg

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  4. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

Looks Metallic Orange to me, totally badass

Squier-FSR-Affinity-Telecaster-HH-Electric-Guitar-Orange-Mist_2048x@2x.jpg

3bolt79 and axejock like this.
  5. telepraise

telepraise Strat-Talker

My experience with exactly with Sweetwater, two guitars and two amps now. All double boxed with an extra layer of foam/padding between the two boxes. When I bought my Yamaha Pacifica from MF, I had read horror stories of terrible packaging from the Yamaha factory, so I bought a premium Gator case at the same time and had them pack the guitar and ship it in the case.

6. axejock

If it looks like that, I will be one happy camper! Actually, either shade would be OK, but they insist that IT IS Metallic Orange, so that's what I'm counting on!!

3bolt79 likes this.
  7. axejock

A funny realization just hit me. Here I am buying a complete and probably decent guitar for $160 which is less than what I usually pay for a finished, bare body alone for one of the many builds I have done. Not an apples to apples thing, but it certainly is surprising the many options/bargains that are out there!

3bolt79 and vid1900 like this.
  8. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Long time ago
    bought a Takemine G406s from MF(said used)
    Memory is twas new priced $550.??
    Paid $250.00
    Wasn't used...
    somewhere along the way the end pin got punched in
    Damn thing plays OK
    waited too long to return it....

Philosophically(ya ain't gonna break even)
    If I worried
    dings N dents...
    Gains N losses...
    I'd have no time time left for procrastinating...
    Or
    Perfecting my gawd-awful guitar skills...

9. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

Very pretty guitar!

10. axejock

It's supposed to arrive tomorrow! Waiting with camera in hand!!

3bolt79 and CB91710 like this.
  11. axejock

Got it! It really is bad ass looking guitar. I did the full photography thing on the unpacking even though there was no visible damage. Once unpacked, I did an in-depth inspection. Everything looks perfect including all fits and finishes (boy, those folks can lay down a beautiful paint job)l All parts were perfect and securely attached in their proper places, the neck was straight with working truss rod, and it actually looked like it had been set-up by someone. I then tuned it (which was very easy) and plugged it in. The sound is incredible for such a low-priced guitar. Those humbuckers really wail! Anyway, it seems I got a good one with only two very minor problems: the tuners feel a little "rough" when turned but work well, and the tone knob has a very slight "catch" in one spot as it is turned but doesn't affect function. Anyway, here are some photos:

CIMG1124.JPG CIMG1127.JPG CIMG1130.JPG CIMG1132.JPG CIMG1128.JPG CIMG1135.JPG CIMG1126.JPG CIMG1133.JPG

Oh, the plastic protective film was still on all the plastic parts when I took these photos....even on the backside of the tuners! So it really is much more shiny with that plastic removed!!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  12. axejock

The attached picture in this post is the most accurate depiction of the actual guitar that I received and obviously used better photography than I am capable of!

vid1900 and 3bolt79 like this.
  13. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

Man your giving me GAS. And I just had a fix two days ago. I really want another Tele deluxe. Am thinking about Vintera though. Or Vintage Modified. I can't do the skinny necks on the affinities.

axejock likes this.
  14. 3bolt79

By the way, what does CE stand for. It seems that all the new guitars have a sticker that says that.

axejock likes this.
  15. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

It's a European compliance certification.
    Not unlike RoHS.

axejock and 3bolt79 like this.
  16. 3bolt79

Thanks, I also don't know what RoHS means either. Is it like the California prop warning that your new fender guitar causes cancer?

axejock likes this.
  17. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

LOL... RoHS standards are why solder joints in newer amplifiers fail so frequently.
    Can't use lead in a manufacturing environment anymore. RoHS is international, while CE is European... not unlike UL approval, but it's more than just electrics.

axejock and 3bolt79 like this.
  18. axejock

I also thought that this guitar would have a "skinny" neck that I wouldn't like. In actuality it feels much the same as my 4 other MIM Teles, maybe with a little less clear finish on it. It is a 9.5" radius with medium jumbo frets (which, by the way, are installed perfectly! I never thought I would be singing the praises for Squire, but this is one nice guitar!! Guess I should pay closer attention to how much some of these lower cost brands have improved! As I said above, I am one happy camper with this thing. And it's actually held tune for 2 days now!

3bolt79 likes this.
  19. gilpi

gilpi Strat-Talk Member

Congrats on your new guitar. Whenever I get a new online guitar or any guitar, after the initial inspection I go right for the neck... I start to lower the action to my liking which gives me an opportunity to check for any neck bow or high frets.
    MF and Sweetwater have a very good (IME) customer service in case there's a return involved. Enjoy!

axejock likes this.
  20. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

That's a beautiful guitar Axejock!

axejock likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.